Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2014, 09:55 AM

869 posts, read 1,278,118 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
Clevelanders should adopt a Philadelphian mentality by not caring what the rest of the nation thinks of them.
That's the route the marketers of Cleveland have decided to go ironically enough:

This is Cleveland! marketing video - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2014, 10:51 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
I see way too much about calling Cleveland the new Brooklyn.

Brooklyn sucks. No personality, no character anymore. Cleveland needs to be unique and retain its charm.

Old 07-28-2014, 11:50 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,694,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Not going to "go at" (whatever that means), but just going to say that I've never gotten that kind of reaction here. Chicagoans' reactions towards Cleveland, at least the people I've interacted with, tend to be favorable.
Quick story about that.
I was working with this company for awhile. The guy that started it wasn't sure where to do it. He chose Cleveland because the Incubator and City Officials made it easy and quick for him to get started here. Smooth and seamless process.

They were trying to come up with a name for the product. They chose 4 or 5 and test marketed them throughout the Midwest. Every single market, including and specifically, Chicago, LOVED the name they went with. I'm talking LOVED by a HUGE margin.
He wouldn't tell me the other names it went up against because they may still use 1 or 2 for a future product.

The words they used when asked about the name were a testament to how others feel about our city. It was ALL positive. Not remotely negative.
I wish I could remember the 5 or 6 terms he shared with me that were most popular.
But anyway...

Cleveland Whiskey

Old 07-28-2014, 12:53 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I see way too much about calling Cleveland the new Brooklyn.

Brooklyn sucks. No personality, no character anymore. Cleveland needs to be unique and retain its charm.
Exactly the way I feel about my former city of Portland, OR. after living there for thirty six years it has become, IMHO, a stereotypical joke of a combination of "California Kool" and "New York Yupster." Or as one person once so eloquently put it as he walked away, over the years he watched "Portland's transformation from a gritty but highly livable middle-class town to a fad-obsessed theme park"

For the love of all that's holy, don't let Cleveland befall that fate. Once you try to be what others think you should be, you lose everything that is you. I would like to see Cleveland keep being Cleveland because it's a good thing to be. From the people with whom I have spoken since I've moved here, there is plenty of civic pride.

To address the OP's original question, I would answer "No," national praise is not required in order for Clevelanders to gain more civic pride. I was always taught that pride comes from within. No outside validation needed.

Old 07-29-2014, 06:41 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Exactly the way I feel about my former city of Portland, OR. after living there for thirty six years it has become, IMHO, a stereotypical joke of a combination of "California Kool" and "New York Yupster." Or as one person once so eloquently put it as he walked away, over the years he watched "Portland's transformation from a gritty but highly livable middle-class town to a fad-obsessed theme park"

For the love of all that's holy, don't let Cleveland befall that fate. Once you try to be what others think you should be, you lose everything that is you. I would like to see Cleveland keep being Cleveland because it's a good thing to be. From the people with whom I have spoken since I've moved here, there is plenty of civic pride.

To address the OP's original question, I would answer "No," national praise is not required in order for Clevelanders to gain more civic pride. I was always taught that pride comes from within. No outside validation needed.
The Portland area is a nice place to visit but for the people saying they are there to be themselves they sure do all look and act alike. I mean how many pierced, free-spirited (aka doing what they want at others' expense) dirty ''street'' kids can one tolerate. It's too contrived out there.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:51 AM

5,295 posts, read 5,240,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
I've brought this up in another thread; I had the same experience down there as well. I didn't know there was CIN-CLE rivalry until I lived down there. I compared it to the CHI-NYC rivalry; no one in NYC knows it exists. A one-way rivalry. Cincinnati's answer to The Flats is ''The Banks''; the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame? Cinci created the American Classical Music Hall of Fame...so funny. Cinci's Music H of F has turned into a huge taxpayer money pit. Of course CIN will deny there's any rivalry. I know CIN is fuming CLE got the RNC; as the Editorial in the Enquirer read ''It's hard to lose; it's even harder to lose to CLE'', nah, there's no rivalry.
That was 1 little line in an editorial that was counter to some city leaders opinions there that they need a new arena...which is something they 1) can't a fford, and 2) don't need w/out a major pro team to use it...yes it cost them them RNC bid, but tbh, a convention is a 1 time cash infusion...Denver, ST Paul, Charlotte, and Tampa are no different for having it than they would be w/out it...and remember, if private funding doesn't meet the full costs of the RNC, Cleveland taxpayers are on the hook for it....Yes there is a a bit of a rivalry...the Reds and Indians don't like to lose to each other...neither to the Browns and Bengals.
The Banks is not equal to the Flats...The Banks have replaced massive surface lots that scarred the Ohio Riverfront...The Banks is turning into a great neighborhood, finally after a slow start to get it going...

You are the only Clevelander here that seems to be obsessed w/ Cincinnati...I grew up in Cleveland, have lived in both places...I love Cleveland, and its teams, but Cincinnati is a better city all the way around...the economy is better, the city is more scenic w/ the hills...the weather is far better...the downtown is nicer...Cleveland is better only in mass transit....tbh, one should consider themselves lucky to live in either place...both beat my current city of Columbus hands down in all categories of urban living.

Old 07-30-2014, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctownballr27 View Post
Cleveland's new Convention Center Hotel will be Ohio's tallest hotel topping out at 374'. This will take the title of tallest hotel in Ohio from Cincinnati by two feet. Cleveland wins again LOL.
As if 374' is impressive? The Westin in Atlanta is nearly 1000' if not over it. LOL...374' is nothing to brag about

Old 07-30-2014, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Not going to "go at" (whatever that means), but just going to say that I've never gotten that kind of reaction here. Chicagoans' reactions towards Cleveland, at least the people I've interacted with, tend to be favorable. I'll hear a remark about the Rock-n-Roll Hall of Fame, perhaps, or maybe "Oh, did you hang out in The Flats?" One native Chicago guy I took with me to Cleveland during a visit wanted to make sure I showed him the baseball and football stadiums -- because he was a sports nut and had seen them on TV many times, no doubt.

The worst reaction I've ever gotten here has been a somewhat condescending view of Cleveland as a "small town". But the same people also look upon cities like Cincinnati, St. Louis, Indianapolis, etc., in the same way, so it's OK.
Compared to a city of 3.25 million, and metro of 6 million, all those cities are a small town lol...perspecetive...if you live in NYC, Chi, LA, Hou, Atl...all places w/ more than twice the people in their metros than Cleve/Cin/Col...our cities will of course seem like "small town's" to them lol

Old 07-30-2014, 07:12 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
As if 374' is impressive? The Westin in Atlanta is nearly 1000' if not over it. LOL...374' is nothing to brag about
Missing the point and humor in this. The fact that the CLE Hilton is going to be 374' feet is not impressive. You sure you're from Cleveland?

Old 07-30-2014, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Missing the point and humor in this. The fact that the CLE Hilton is going to be 374' feet is not impressive. You sure you're from Cleveland?
I get the humor...also don't see the need for it when Cleveland has Ohio's 3 talled high rises anyways. It's saying something in terms of building height when Cincinnati just recently built their new tallest and it still would be the 4th tallest in Cleveland. That said, why couldn't Cleveland have gone over the top w/ it and built it much taller?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland