Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 09:06 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,916,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
GE isn't bringing their whole corporate office to Cincy...plus if you've ever seen there corp HQ, its a suburban style office complex in CT...no high rise...they don't build huge highrises to say look at us...they build functional buildings that meet their needs at the lowest cost possible...kind of like Eaton has done out in Beachwood instead of a new more expensive high rise downtown...The Banks are not ever going to go for high rises as it would block the river views from the rest of downtown Cincy...just like the newest lakefront development plan for Cleveland has no high rises there.

The Gay GAmes are going to be huge for Cleveland...and the World Chroir Games 2 summers ago were huge for Cincinnati...In fact I think events like that are probably bigger in terms of building a good reputation.

What kind of lasting effect has the DNC had for Denver and Charlotte...both cities were growing fast before they hosted the DNC...both got big economic boosts for that time they were there...but nothing really lasting...has anyone wanted to go to St Paul, MN after the RNC was there? Nope...Tampa, again has been growing well before it and has always been a big destination for people vacationing on the Gulf Coast...Cleveland can make a positive impact by it but what's shown on TV isn't going to improve it's status..it will impove it's status though from the thousands of visitors(although it's pretty much the antithisis of the GOP who dislike urban cities w/ a passion since they are mostly Democratic).
Places like Denver, Charlotte, Minneapolis and Tampa generally receive good press; CLE's RNC will, hopefully, turn opinion such that it will increase the tourist and convention business. CLE needs good press because it is a great place to visit and is only getting better.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I'm not from Pepper Pike, but my mom and step dad have lived there for about 15 yrs.
I grew up actually down in Canton (but when you tell people from outside NE Ohio, it's easier to say the Cleveland area because unless they are football fans, no one seems to know Canton), but have lived in Cleveland (both downtown and Cleve Hts)...and of course I've stayed w/ my mom and stepdad there plenty over the last 15 yrs...on average at least one weekend every couple months...and when I lived in the Carolinas or Florida...still got back up at least for a long weekend or a week every 3 months.
Interesting that you consider Canton to be in the Cleveland area but you folks down in CIN now brag about being Ohio's largest metro area since CLE-AKR apparently no longer exists. A total contridiction; let's not count Akron-Canton in the Cleveland metro population but if someone from Canton is asked where he or she is from it's always ''the Cleveland area". So thanks for confirming the real size of the Cleveland metro areas as being 3.5 million.

Having lived in other cities, many folks saying they were from Cleveland would say places like Wadsworth, Canton etc. but never Cleveland proper. Many, of course were from the suburbs. Akron-Canton I always considered to be Cleveland area.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:29 AM

5,267 posts, read 5,198,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Interesting that you consider Canton to be in the Cleveland area but you folks down in CIN now brag about being Ohio's largest metro area since CLE-AKR apparently no longer exists. A total contridiction; let's not count Akron-Canton in the Cleveland metro population but if someone from Canton is asked where he or she is from it's always ''the Cleveland area". So thanks for confirming the real size of the Cleveland metro areas as being 3.5 million.

Having lived in other cities, many folks saying they were from Cleveland would say places like Wadsworth, Canton etc. but never Cleveland proper. Many, of course were from the suburbs. Akron-Canton I always considered to be Cleveland area.
1)I'm not in Cincinnati now...I'm in the Columbus area.

2)IMO, Clevaland/Akron/Canton is one metro/csa whatever you want to call it...and Cincy/Middletown/Dayton is one as well.

3) Yes, if someone is from Wadsworth, or say Cuyahoga Falls or even say Aurora...I'd have no problem if they said they were from the Cleveland area.

Old 07-31-2014, 09:45 AM

4,634 posts, read 4,931,335 times
I distinguish between "the Cleveland area" and "Northeast Ohio." I think Northeast Ohio is similar to what you have if you take the broadest possible definition of the Boston metro area (running into Rhode Island and New Hampshire). Do people from Providence or Worcester say they're from the Boston area? Probably not, but I don't know. I think they would say they're from New England (or from Providence or Worcester). That's how I feel about Canton (which is farther from Cleveland than Worcester or Providence is from Boston). Northeast Ohio is what I would consider it; calling it part of the Cleveland area is a stretch.

Edit: Canton is obviously part of the Cleveland media market. Canton is pure Cavs/Indians/Browns country just as Providence is pure Celtics/Red Sox/Patriots/Bruins country, I get that.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:04 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,943,849 times
Quote:

I never understood this myself as to why Akron and Canton aren't included in the Cleveland area. Yet look at the area that encompasses Atlanta's metro area, or Miami for that matter. I live between Cleveland and Akron, yet I cheer for Cleveland sports teams, watch Cleveland TV, and listen to Cleveland radio. When I go out of town I say I'm from Ohio, near Cleveland. Sure folks have heard of Akron too, but Cleveland is mother city in the region, so it makes more sense.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:17 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,283,671 times
Quote:
]Having lived in other cities, many folks saying they were from Cleveland would say places like Wadsworth, Canton etc. but never Cleveland proper. Many, of course were from the suburbs. Akron-Canton I always considered to be Cleveland area.
When my aunt and uncle lived in Wadsworth, they always told people they were from "Akron" when they traveled. I got the impression they really didn't want to be associated with Cleveland.

Old 08-01-2014, 09:52 AM

465 posts, read 656,190 times
Quote:

Don't get me wrong when I'm making my census bureau based arguments. I think the Cleveland-Akron-Canton CSA definitely is easily the largest CSA in Ohio right now. It's different from the MSA, which is a city and its bedroom suburbs, meaning that Akron's population would have to be primarily commuting to Cleveland for work to be considered in the same MSA, and I don't know if that's happened yet. If Akron declines as a jobs center itself and has a large commuting population, at that point it would make sense for the census bureau to designate it the Cleveland-Akron MSA rather than the Cleveland-Elyria MSA. I do draw the line when you try to include Youngstown as part of Cleveland's greater combined area, however as there's clearly a fairly wide farm belt between the developed outer ring suburbs of Cleveland and Youngstown's northwestern suburbs. Youngstown is a part of Cleveland's media market

I don't think the Cincinnati-Dayton CSA exists yet, but I do see it as inevitable in the next 20 years. There's very little undeveloped space between the metros at this point along I-75 and only a slightly wider band through Lebanon. When it does combine, then the two CSA's will be nearly equal, and it will depend on population growth.

Media market maps are a different story, Cleveland's is the largest in the state since it includes Mansfield, Sandusky, Steubenville, Coshocton and nearly everything in between save for Trumbull, Columbiana and Mahoning counties. Cincinnati's media map more closely resembles its CSA map and doesn't have the number of smaller cities outside the metro that Cleveland does.

I don't mind people using any of the above if they're comparing apples to apples, but I do mind the use of comparing a CSA to an MSA, or otherwise fudging the comparison.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:33 PM

368 posts, read 636,863 times
Cleveland is known internationally for the Cleveland clinic and orchestra..That's more of a positive identity than much larger cities.Embrace and support the great things that you have now.Theres alot of assets already in hand..be proud.I do believe the Cleveland case will continue to be the largest in ohio for while..although by 2050 Columbus will almost inevitably pass Cleveland,using my calculator..even if cincy added Dayton and Toledo they would still br substantially smaller than Cleveland and Columbus.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustBeltOptimist View Post
Don't get me wrong when I'm making my census bureau based arguments. I think the Cleveland-Akron-Canton CSA definitely is easily the largest CSA in Ohio right now. It's different from the MSA, which is a city and its bedroom suburbs, meaning that Akron's population would have to be primarily commuting to Cleveland for work to be considered in the same MSA, and I don't know if that's happened yet. If Akron declines as a jobs center itself and has a large commuting population, at that point it would make sense for the census bureau to designate it the Cleveland-Akron MSA rather than the Cleveland-Elyria MSA. I do draw the line when you try to include Youngstown as part of Cleveland's greater combined area, however as there's clearly a fairly wide farm belt between the developed outer ring suburbs of Cleveland and Youngstown's northwestern suburbs. Youngstown is a part of Cleveland's media market

I don't think the Cincinnati-Dayton CSA exists yet, but I do see it as inevitable in the next 20 years. There's very little undeveloped space between the metros at this point along I-75 and only a slightly wider band through Lebanon. When it does combine, then the two CSA's will be nearly equal, and it will depend on population growth.

Media market maps are a different story, Cleveland's is the largest in the state since it includes Mansfield, Sandusky, Steubenville, Coshocton and nearly everything in between save for Trumbull, Columbiana and Mahoning counties. Cincinnati's media map more closely resembles its CSA map and doesn't have the number of smaller cities outside the metro that Cleveland does.

I don't mind people using any of the above if they're comparing apples to apples, but I do mind the use of comparing a CSA to an MSA, or otherwise fudging the comparison.
I wouldn't consider Youngstown in CLE's metro either; part of NEO, yes of course; CLE metro, no.

I was surprised at COL's year-over-year June job numbers though. With all the hub-bub about the boom there and population explosion I expected major numbers. Where are all these new people working? Also, shouldn't the new residential construction to house all these new people be making national news reports. I know COL gets good press for its growth but the jobs statistics are not spectacular at 1.3% growth.

What is the population of CIN's CSA then if it has the largest MSA? Let's look at COL and CIN's CSAs compared to CLE's so we have an apples to apples comparison.

Old 08-02-2014, 06:09 PM

368 posts, read 636,863 times
You cant really look at job statistics to project population growth.These job numbers are also in large part political definitions.Natural increase is around 50% of the population growth for the columbus msa/csa according to the census and the columbus area having a younger average age ,especially compared to cleveland and most of the rest of ohio,also columbus has a huge net gain in migration where the cleveland and cincy metros..at least at 2010 had negative trends. But having said that,it seems like cleveland has turned a corner in that the momentum could swing their way .When you think of the assets cleveland has in proportion to other similar sized cities..theres no reason cleveland cant become attractive for migration etc..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland