Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 07:18 PM

199 posts, read 257,714 times

Advertisements

Hey y'all,

Myself and two of my friends are planning a trip up to Cedar Point sometime in August and we're probably gonna swing by Cleveland to catch an Indians game (we're trying to see all 30 MLB parks so we figure we'd knock Progressive Field off our list). The three of us have never been up that way (we're from NC and GA) so I was just trying to get some local insight on how things are up there. For Cedar Point we probably aren't going to stay in the hotels at the park since they seem kind of pricey. Are there any decent places within reasonable driving distance that aren't too expensive? For Cleveland are there any decent hotels around the ballpark that we could look into? And how is the bar scene there, any places y'all would recommend that are close (or within walking distance) to the stadium? We're in our mid 20's so we'll probably hit up a few places after the game. It'll be a long weekend for us so we're not going to be spending a ton of time at either place, most likely just go to the park for a day and the next day drive to Cleveland for the Indians game. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2014, 08:08 AM

98 posts, read 208,149 times
Default Cleveland/Sandusky Trip

It takes about 1 hour to drive to Sandusky from the western edge of Cleveland, add another 1/2 hr. if your hotel is downtown. I'd just get a hotel in Cleveland and drive to and from Sandusky if you're only going to be in each palce for 1 day.

There are a ton of good bars and restaurants within walking distance of the Stadium. Way too many to mention here.

This is a pretty good site for finding hotels and restaurants in the area Cleveland, OH | Things to Do, Restaurants & Hotels | Cleveland Vacations

Old 07-13-2014, 10:55 AM

416 posts, read 700,804 times
There are also plenty of hotels in Sandusky that aren't right out on the peninsula of Cedar Point or right by the causeway. Sandusky is a big tourist destination area not just because of Cedar Point and the nearby waterparks, but because of all Lake Erie has to offer and the Lake Erie Islands. You can find plenty out by the Turnpike with easy access to Cleveland.

In downtown, try to stay near the Gateway District. There are plenty of hotels in that area close to the ballpark. You will easily be able to walk to Progressive Field and enjoy all the nightlife in the areas surrounding East Fourth Street and a close walk to the Warehouse District. Lots of good restaurants in the Gateway as well.

Old 07-13-2014, 04:25 PM

185 posts, read 247,797 times
You are better off staying Downtown if you want to be where the action is at. Try the Westin. It's new and has an awesome restaurant called Urban Farmer. Def worth a visit!

Old 07-14-2014, 06:02 PM

Thanks for the responses y'all, I really appreciate it.

Old 07-15-2014, 07:12 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scpirate View Post
Hey y'all,

Myself and two of my friends are planning a trip up to Cedar Point sometime in August and we're probably gonna swing by Cleveland to catch an Indians game (we're trying to see all 30 MLB parks so we figure we'd knock Progressive Field off our list). The three of us have never been up that way (we're from NC and GA) so I was just trying to get some local insight on how things are up there. For Cedar Point we probably aren't going to stay in the hotels at the park since they seem kind of pricey. Are there any decent places within reasonable driving distance that aren't too expensive? For Cleveland are there any decent hotels around the ballpark that we could look into? And how is the bar scene there, any places y'all would recommend that are close (or within walking distance) to the stadium? We're in our mid 20's so we'll probably hit up a few places after the game. It'll be a long weekend for us so we're not going to be spending a ton of time at either place, most likely just go to the park for a day and the next day drive to Cleveland for the Indians game. Thanks in advance.
Mid twenties and going to the Sandusky area? I'd add an extra day to the trip and hit up the island of put-n-bay. Check out the reviews of the place. The entire island is a bar scene. You will not be disappointed. Take the jet express which leaves from port Clinton, only 20 min from Sandusky. Plenty of hotels in port Clinton to stay at.

Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Mid twenties and going to the Sandusky area? I'd add an extra day to the trip and hit up the island of put-n-bay. Check out the reviews of the place. The entire island is a bar scene. You will not be disappointed. Take the jet express which leaves from port Clinton, only 20 min from Sandusky. Plenty of hotels in port Clinton to stay at.

Looks like an interesting place, hopefully we'll have time to check it out. Thanks man.

Old 07-21-2014, 09:42 AM

5,293 posts, read 5,235,122 times
Definitely hit up Put in Bay if you can...it's nickname is the Key West of the Midwest...summertime its 1 long party...The Beer Barrel Saloon, and the Boardwalk are 2 of my favorite bars...The Roundhouse is another good one...Crescent Inn has good Lake Perch and Walleye dishes..

As for hotels in Cleveland, it depends on the budget...the Hyatt Regency at the Arcade is a great hotel.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
Definitely hit up Put in Bay if you can...it's nickname is the Key West of the Midwest...summertime its 1 long party...The Beer Barrel Saloon, and the Boardwalk are 2 of my favorite bars...The Roundhouse is another good one...Crescent Inn has good Lake Perch and Walleye dishes..

As for hotels in Cleveland, it depends on the budget...the Hyatt Regency at the Arcade is a great hotel.
Thanks for the recommendation, I appreciate it. If we have enough time we'll try to get to Put-In-Bay. As I'm sure y'all know once you get in the working world time off doesn't come to often so we're trying to make the most of the little we have. Cedar Point and the Indians game are really what we're heading up there for but I do appreciate y'alls recommendations.

Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 AM

416 posts, read 700,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
Mid twenties and going to the Sandusky area?
Wait, did I miss something? You can't go to Sandusky if you're a 20-something? Cedar Point (how many years now voted the world's best theme park?) seems to be filled with them, not to mention not very far away Put-in-Bay which has a big party scene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland