Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: .....
Yes 33 75.00%
Not quite, maybe in time 5 11.36%
No, never 6 13.64%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2014, 09:37 AM

440 posts, read 595,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I have to speak up, too. As someone who LOVES both places and is seriously considering leaving Ohio for Florida... and I'll keep a fairly neutral tone.

Do you hang out in the Florida forum on City Data? Because that is exactly the OPPOSITE impression I am given. "Don't even THINK about moving here without a job!" they say. "Our economy is not great" they say.
I'm on the Florida forum all the time since i live here now, and yes i would never suggest moving ANYWHERE without a job, hence the reason i locked in one before i moved here. The economy isn't great, but its gotten alot better in the past couple years ago, and certain fields such as medical, accounting and IT(which i'm in) DO pay good. I'm making alot more here than i ever came close to making in Ohio and having amazing benefits.

I like HEAT. I like HUMIDITY. I like to SWEAT....

I also like to have a break of a few cool days in between those really hot ones. Like Ohio.
A break with highs in the 60's is too much of a break for me. Summer is meant to be hot, and when i was in Ohio I cherished any hot days we had since there was only a couple months of it to enjoy. And we do get breaks from the heat when it rains. Sometimes the rains cool down the temps into the 70s which is pretty nice

An hour or 2? Great. IF I get a job, I get home at 6. AN hour or 2 you say? Is that all? So realistically I am only going to make it to a beach on the weekends? Isn't that right? But, of course, you always have s*** to do on the weekends so I might make it one day a week. At best.
You would have been better off mentioning how so many homes in Florida have pools or access to pools.
I don't go to the beach all the time either, i was just stating that you're never too far from one if you live here. And yes, many homes have pools, in fact it will be a requirement for my house to have one with a lanai whenever i decide to purchase one

This IS a big one. Period. For someone like me that hates Winter. We have outdoor activities. Of course we do.
Skiing. Snowboarding. Snow shoeing. Sled Riding.
None of that interests me.
Yeah none of those are of interest to me neither

And one of my issues with snow is driving on roads you cannot see. The last time I was in Florida we were driving to Orlando and got caught in a freaking typhoon. It was SO bad. Luckily everyone on the roads was driving very well, but it was downright scary. Even my friend in Tampa said "you went out in that???"
Ehh its not that bad, just slow down or pull over and they usually end in a few minutes anyways

I don't buy that at all. Period.
Well this is the case for me, i can't speak for everyone, its just my personality though. People just seem friendlier here, except on the roadways, then everyone fends for their own.

And palm trees. And palm trees. and palm trees. Give me Oaks, Maples and Dgowoods over palm trees, please. At least they actually provide SHADE.
We do have Oaks and Maples here believe it or not, and quite a bit of them. I think once you get below Sarasota its just all palms and pines though.

This "glomminess thing" is totally oversold. The sun comes out A LOT in Winter. Period. To say otherwise is pure BS. BUT having said that I am Vitamin D deficient. My doctor said "A LOT of people are in Ohio... they just don't know it". So I asked him "Should I move to Florida?"
"Sure...if you'd rather have skin cancer".
I went through seasonal depression very bad in the winter in Ohio, so don't tell me gloominess is oversold. I would go days craving sunshine up there and be completely miserable, at least now here i'm seeing it everyday and it never gets boring. And wear sunscreen and you don't have to worry about skin cancer

Other then an occasional jet ski... so? Not into it...
Fishing. Never was into it in Ohio because its the same ole types, walleye, bass.. At least here you have a wide variety of fish to catch which makes it interesting, even sharks.

Great. Have to deal with those jerks ALL year. (j/k)
Not interested.
Yeah i don't golf either, but for those who are diehard its a paradise all for them

Again, going back to the C-D forum right here, not many say that about Florida at least on these forums.
Maybe the mroe rural areas, but none of the larger cities. Everyone says exactly the opposite.
Its been alot less stressful for me, then again i'm single with no kids and am living a bachelor life, so my opinion may be different than others

That is nice. At least that makes up for the LOWER salary that just about everyone in the FLA forum says you can expect in Florida. As several posteers have said "but the drop in pay is made up in SUNSHINE pay..."
i.e. having more sunshine....
Once again, lower salary depends on what field you are in, in my case the lack of state income tax is a major difference in my paycheck

Yea... you can always tell the tourists from the locals in Miami.... the tourists have real boobs.
Miami is a whole different world in itself, i would never live there, too high paced and fake for me. Thats why i'm in Tampa, it has more of that midwest feel and the women don't think their TOO good for just any guy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2014, 02:35 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,996,717 times
I wonder if LeBron James will win an NBA championship in Cleveland before Johnny Manziel wins a Superbowl?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland