U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2014, 11:31 AM

13,041 posts, read 15,151,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Awesome replies everyone. I greatly appreciate it. How is the Jefferson area on the west side and also how about the area around West Blvd.?
Jefferson is a good area. This is the area ECBeastor refers to as South of Puritas. I have 2 friends that live on Flamingo. This area is ABSOLUTELY safe even with the "Projects" being less then 1.5 miles away. Seriously. There are no drug dealers on his street, he's lived there for almost 20 years now. no one growing pot in the backyard, no sounds of gunshots in the night, no police cars every night, safe to walk at night.
Now... I probably wouldn't live in the houses DIRECTLY across the street from the housing project on Rocky River, but that area between it and Grayton is damn safe.
Westpark\Kamms\Riverside is easily the nicest and most family friendly area in Cleveland. Period.
I have lived here for 9 years and I have friends ALL OVER the area. South of Puritas, North of Puritas but South of Lorain, around Trisket....North of Lorain, near 150th, off of 150th.
And you know who had the worst neighbors? Me. The house next door was foreclosed and a BAND moved in. Parties every night til very late, noisy as hell.
They have finally moved.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2014, 12:12 PM

795 posts, read 1,122,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECBeastor View Post
What part of West Blvd? Between what streets? North of Baltic is nice. South of Baltic all the way to Lorain pretty much sucks. Madison Ave in Cleveland is basically a hell hole now and anything near it suffers greatly. South of Lorain is okay on West Blvd but not really and gets noticeably rougher on any of the side streets off of W. Blvd. South of the W.105 and West blvd intersection is okay and is probably the second best part of W. Blvd. So in short the far north end and the far south end.

Jefferson is okay but took a hit during the housing crash. I paid close attention to the housing market in that area and small sections of a street with, for example, 50 houses, saw in some cases 15 go into foreclosure. Drove the prices way down on some streets and brought in investors who bought them for $15K to $30K and rent them out with minimal repairs. The area is still a blue collar, relatively safe area. West of W. 130th is the safest but you don't want to live on W. 130th itself with all the traffic, at least not on 130th south of Lorain. Dennis Kucinich "lives" in Jefferson off Cooley. W. 117th is kind of a blight to this area and the immediate streets off it suffer a bit. Still Lots of blue collar folks here who take pride in their properties.

Jefferson is an area where I employ the "you know it when you see it" approach to determine what is a nice street to buy. Can't do that on W. Blvd because it is really nice big houses on West Blvd but right in the backyard of it is a crime infested street of low lifes.
Man that's some great info right there. I really appreciate it. I know you usually get what you pay for, but I refuse to believe there are no decent lower income areas of Cleveland. Cleveland is a huge city! Lol

I'm definitely interested in the Jefferson area. From what I've seen, it looks decent. I honestly don't care if my neighborhood is a little rough around the edges, but I can't stand noisy disrespectful hoodlums living around me.

Old 07-16-2014, 12:48 PM

246 posts, read 414,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Man that's some great info right there. I really appreciate it. I know you usually get what you pay for, but I refuse to believe there are no decent lower income areas of Cleveland. Cleveland is a huge city! Lol

I'm definitely interested in the Jefferson area. From what I've seen, it looks decent. I honestly don't care if my neighborhood is a little rough around the edges, but I can't stand noisy disrespectful hoodlums living around me.
Most of the areas mentioned don't have the noisy disrespectful hoodlums. Like Peregrine said, even what is considered a less desirable part of West Park/Riverside, is still perfectly safe outside the streets directly surrounding the CMHA complex. You'll be able to get a good house in Jefferson for under $50,000 probably. I know I saw one at sheriff auction on W. 125th for something like $16,000 last month and that is a perfectly safe street, even if it is in the less desirable part of Jefferson.

If you get to the area off West Blvd, streets like Almira, Fidelity, Bernard etc...you might get some noisy disrespectful hoodlums and you better like fireworks because the folks on some of those streets turn the 4th celebrations into a week long firework show for what seems like all 24 hours of the day that week.

I don't know what kind of buyer you are (all cash, conventional financing, FHA) but there is a decent short sale on W. 126th listed for $34,900 right now. Short Sales can be a pain to purchase with financing, that's why I asked. Solid structure house that needs a little work but is a good sized home for that area (1920 Colonial with a 3rd floor attic; not a 1.5 story bungalow like many can be over there).

If you are handy and can renovate a house yourself, you may want to look at the HomePath site or the Cleveland land bank or check the sheriff auction (you'll need to have cash for the auction).

Old 07-16-2014, 04:28 PM

493 posts, read 558,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TPH2 View Post
University Circle and Rockefeller Park are indeed great, but the "areas around" them are NOT. Some of the most crime ridden parts of the city of Cleveland are in close proximity to Rockefeller Park.

Old Brooklyn seems to fit your description. It's more of a residential neighborhood and is pretty stable and safe.
The area north of University Circle, mostly the areas bordering Rockefeller Park, are very nice neighborhoods with some of the most unique houses in Cleveland. Those areas are some of the only areas in Glenville with people of different races living there.

Old 07-16-2014, 04:38 PM

3,238 posts, read 4,218,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
The area north of University Circle, mostly the areas bordering Rockefeller Park, are very nice neighborhoods with some of the most unique houses in Cleveland. Those areas are some of the only areas in Glenville with people of different races living there.
Like I told you in the other thread, the only street that's somewhat decent north of Wade Park Ave. is East blvd., and even there many of the houses are abandoned or not kept up. Any of the other streets in the area that you're describing are downright awful, with housing prices averaging $10,000-$20,000. Even poor people don't want to live there. Classic Reretarff, you are talking about something that you clearly know nothing about as if you are the authority on it.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Like I told you in the other thread, the only street that's somewhat decent north of Wade Park Ave. is East blvd., and even there many of the houses are abandoned or not kept up. Any of the other streets in the area that you're describing are downright awful, with housing prices averaging $10,000-$20,000. Even poor people don't want to live there. Classic Reretarff, you are talking about something that you clearly know nothing about as if you are the authority on it.
The streets behind East Boulevard have nice houses. Really, it's anywhere past E.99th Street that has bad houses. The area one block within Rockefeller Park has very nice houses, some for the same price as those in the suburbs.

The area within St. Clair Avenue, E.93rd Street, A little down Adams Avenue, then down E.99th Street is perfectly fine.

Old 07-16-2014, 06:35 PM

133 posts, read 159,549 times
Quote:
The streets behind East Boulevard have nice houses. Really, it's anywhere past E.99th Street that has bad houses. The area one block within Rockefeller Park has very nice houses, some for the same price as those in the suburbs.

The area within St. Clair Avenue, E.93rd Street, A little down Adams Avenue, then down E.99th Street is perfectly fine.
Yes, there are some nice houses, but that doesn't mean it's a nice/safe area to live in.

"Perfectly fine." How do you know that? I get the impression that you don't really venture out of Solon too much, so I'm not sure that you'd consider that area "perfectly fine" if you lived there.

Old 07-16-2014, 09:24 PM

3,238 posts, read 4,218,753 times
Quote:

You realize that East 99th and St. Clair is the area that Bone Thugs 'n Harmony sing about. You know they sing about dealing drugs right? That was over 15 years ago that they lived there, and it's only gone downhill. Please do a little research other than looking at houses on google maps. There are ample resources available to help you determine the quality of an area -- crime maps and per capita income are good places to start.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPH2 View Post
Yes, there are some nice houses, but that doesn't mean it's a nice/safe area to live in.

"Perfectly fine." How do you know that? I get the impression that you don't really venture out of Solon too much, so I'm not sure that you'd consider that area "perfectly fine" if you lived there.
I assume you haven't been to Cleveland in a while, considering you're in DC. The area is nice. The area past E.99th? Eh.

I haven't lived there, but I've been to the area several times for work and a few times just driving through. I can't even count the number of times I've been through Rockefeller Park and looked at those houses.

If you haven't noticed (You probably haven't seen them) the houses west of E.99th Street that border with Rockefeller Park are unique and are different from the houses next to them. Those houses are worth more than triple times what a house in another part of Glenville is worth.

On top of that, the ~300 white people who live in Glenville mainly live in this area. Also, it's the one area in Glenville that has brick streets, that also happen to be in good shape. This neighborhood looks like it's in Bratenahl or Moreland Hills or something.

Old 07-16-2014, 11:17 PM

133 posts, read 159,549 times
Quote:
I assume you haven't been to Cleveland in a while, considering you're in DC. The area is nice. The area past E.99th? Eh.

I haven't lived there, but I've been to the area several times for work and a few times just driving through. I can't even count the number of times I've been through Rockefeller Park and looked at those houses.

If you haven't noticed (You probably haven't seen them) the houses west of E.99th Street that border with Rockefeller Park are unique and are different from the houses next to them. Those houses are worth more than triple times what a house in another part of Glenville is worth.

On top of that, the ~300 white people who live in Glenville mainly live in this area. Also, it's the one area in Glenville that has brick streets, that also happen to be in good shape. This neighborhood looks like it's in Bratenahl or Moreland Hills or something.
I have been to Cleveland recently actually, and I know the area well. My dad was also a police officer in that district for many years. Yes, there are some nice houses, but again, doesn't mean it's a good area. Which is unfortunate, and I hope it turns around in a few years, but it's not somewhere I'd recommend to someone as a "safe and quiet part of Cleveland."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland