U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2014, 02:53 PM

493 posts, read 557,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPH2 View Post
I have been to Cleveland recently actually, and I know the area well. My dad was also a police officer in that district for many years. Yes, there are some nice houses, but again, doesn't mean it's a good area. Which is unfortunate, and I hope it turns around in a few years, but it's not somewhere I'd recommend to someone as a "safe and quiet part of Cleveland."
The areas around Rockefeller Park is safe. The way you can tell? White people actually live there. Another way you can tell? The area is in good shape.

This is a safe and quiet part of Cleveland. It may be small and closely surrounded by the bad areas, but it's like a needle in a hay stack. Some houses there are huge and are worth over $300,000.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 09:40 PM

794 posts, read 1,120,464 times
I am back in the rental market, so I would like to bump this thread! So far I've lived in three different Cleveland neighborhoods and have struck out on every one.... All I'm looking for is a nice little pocket that is QUIET, well kept, and has no thugs. Where in Cleveland does this exist??? I am open to west or east side, but would prefer west side since that is where work and family are.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:52 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,542,789 times
I would also add the Larchmere area of Cleveland near Shaker Square on the East Side to the mix...

... in particular the area bordered by Shaker Blvd on the south, (roughly) E. 121st Street on the west, Fairhill Rd. on the North, and the Shaker Heights border on the east. This area is solid, pretty diverse (with lots of back-to-the city whites), a fine, well-kept old housing stock, with lots of duplexes (esp the famed Cleveland doubles), and a number of brownstone walk-up apts (some mixed use, and a few quads here and there)... Larchmere blvd itself is a solid 7-block retail, restaurant, antiques walking district that is both vital and laid-back -- it's not a loud beehive like Ohio City's W. 25th St attracting residents from all over the region as well as a number of downtown tourists; and Larchmere residents want to keep it that way. It's more of a hometown Main Street with a lot of families and kids mixed in... And of course the famous Shaker Square, itself, with its quaint shops and eateries surrounded by good to very high end (and lovely) apts along with its Blue/Green rapid transit lines, is just 1 long block from the eastern end of Larchmere.

Add to this the fact that Shaker Heights, and its beautiful old mansions, parks and the notable Shaker Lakes are just a few blocks east of Larchmere -- a quick walk, jog or bike ride... And, to the Northwest, you're just up the hill from Cleveland's gem: bustling, educational, exciting University Circle, on top of that.

If you want a safe, solid, (very) stable, even growing (in popularity and RE value somewhat) neighborly district with the tons of pluses listed here, you can't do any better than Larchmere.

Last edited by TheProf; 08-24-2016 at 01:30 AM..

Old 08-24-2016, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I would also add the Larchmere area of Cleveland near Shaker Square on the East Side to the mix...

... in particular the area bordered by Shaker Blvd on the south, (roughly) E. 121st Street on the west, Fairhill Rd. on the North, and the Shaker Heights border on the east. This area is solid, pretty diverse (with lots of back-to-the city whites), a fine, well-kept old housing stock, with lots of duplexes (esp the famed Cleveland doubles), and a number of brownstone walk-up apts (some mixed use, and a few quads here and there)... Larchmere blvd itself is a solid 7-block retail, restaurant, antiques walking district that is both vital and laid-back -- it's not a loud beehive like Ohio City's W. 25th St attracting residents from all over the region as well as a number of downtown tourists; and Larchmere residents want to keep it that way. It's more of a hometown Main Street with a lot of families and kids mixed in... And of course the famous Shaker Square, itself, with its quaint shops and eateries surrounded by good to very high end (and lovely) apts along with its Blue/Green rapid transit lines, is just 1 long block from the eastern end of Larchmere.

Add to this the fact that Shaker Heights, and its beautiful old mansions, parks and the notable Shaker Lakes are just a few blocks east of Larchmere -- a quick walk, jog or bike ride... And, to the Northwest, you're just up the hill from Cleveland's gem: bustling, educational, exciting University Circle, on top of that.

If you want a safe, solid, (very) stable, even growing (in popularity and RE value somewhat) neighborly district with the tons of pluses listed here, you can't do any better than Larchmere.
Great response! Very much appreciated. I have always been intrigued by the Larchmere neighborhood. I feel that it is very underrated. My only concern is it's disconnect from the west side... Any idea what the commute to Lakewood would be like? I suppose you could just take Woodland down to E.55th then onto 490, right?

Old 08-24-2016, 10:16 AM

3,639 posts, read 3,542,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Great response! Very much appreciated. I have always been intrigued by the Larchmere neighborhood. I feel that it is very underrated. My only concern is it's disconnect from the west side... Any idea what the commute to Lakewood would be like? I suppose you could just take Woodland down to E.55th then onto 490, right?
If you head straight down Larchmere, which turns into Woodland Ave, you head right down to E. 55; turn left for about .6 miles to the I-490 entrance, which dead-ends into E. 55. Head west on I-490 until it turns into I-90 west which, of course, runs right into Lakewood... I've taken this route many times and it's usually about 25 minutes... Rush hour is longer, as E. 55, esp at the big Woodland/Kinsman 3-way intersection gets jammed, so tack on about 10 minutes.

Old 08-24-2016, 10:20 AM

530 posts, read 513,172 times
Did you strike out on the West Park/Kamms area?

Old 08-24-2016, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
Did you strike out on the West Park/Kamms area?
No, I love that area, but affordable rentals are a little hard to come by.

Old 08-24-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
No, I love that area, but affordable rentals are a little hard to come by.
I used to work on W. 140th at Puritas, and I think that whole Southwestern corner of the city is the most underrated part of the city.

Old 08-24-2016, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
I used to work on W. 140th at Puritas, and I think that whole Southwestern corner of the city is the most underrated part of the city.
The Puritas area is the only area on the west side I am not familiar with. That whole neighborhood is so strange to me lol.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
The Puritas area is the only area on the west side I am not familiar with. That whole neighborhood is so strange to me lol.
That was the only time I had ventured over towards that area of the city, so take this with a grain of salt, but the area along puritas between 140th and 150th seemed kind of seedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland