U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 05-17-2017, 07:18 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
794 posts, read 1,120,995 times
Reputation: 385

Advertisements

Well I am back in the market to find a new place that is quieter and CHEAP to live... I am looking to buy a cheap little fixer upper to live in. I'm talking sub $30k, so it's probably going to be in a "rougher" area I suppose. I've lived all over the west side and every neighborhood has been incredibly noisy and high amount of crime/ruckus. I am wondering if there is a utopian, quiet pocket for us lower income people?

I've been curious about the far west pocket of north collinwood (right after bratenahl), parts of slavic village (this neighborhood is huge and it feels like there are like 4 distinct areas), the far east edge of Asiatown near E55th (it is ugly, industrial, but cheap), even the part of garfield heights east of the park and south of miles. I have no idea how the crime or noise levels are in these areas.... any advice on these neighborhoods or other little quiet pockets that are cheaper?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-17-2017, 07:52 PM
 
Location: WA
738 posts, read 485,424 times
Reputation: 672
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
Well I am back in the market to find a new place that is quieter and CHEAP to live... I am looking to buy a cheap little fixer upper to live in. I'm talking sub $30k, so it's probably going to be in a "rougher" area I suppose. I've lived all over the west side and every neighborhood has been incredibly noisy and high amount of crime/ruckus. I am wondering if there is a utopian, quiet pocket for us lower income people?

I've been curious about the far west pocket of north collinwood (right after bratenahl), parts of slavic village (this neighborhood is huge and it feels like there are like 4 distinct areas), the far east edge of Asiatown near E55th (it is ugly, industrial, but cheap), even the part of garfield heights east of the park and south of miles. I have no idea how the crime or noise levels are in these areas.... any advice on these neighborhoods or other little quiet pockets that are cheaper?
What kind of noise are you talking about and trying to avoid? Is it typical city noise or people marauding about at night....? I also love quiet areas but don't know of any yet as I'm new here.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 08:02 PM
 
Location: Cleveland
794 posts, read 1,120,995 times
Reputation: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by october2007 View Post
What kind of noise are you talking about and trying to avoid? Is it typical city noise or people marauding about at night....? I also love quiet areas but don't know of any yet as I'm new here.
good question lol it's been both types in different neighborhoods. right now, I live off a busy street so it's a bunch of traffic, blasting music, police/ambulance sirens, etc. There's always the loud screaming kids too, the neighborhood jukebox who blasts music from their car all day everyday in their driveway while they pretend to be "mechanics", the people who love honking their car horn to say hello to their friends in passing or when they're too lazy to get out and knock on the door, the MOTORCYCLES, and of course the infamous gunshots.... just typical city noise I guess? I would love to find a quiet pocket!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-17-2017, 08:48 PM
 
6,418 posts, read 5,756,067 times
Reputation: 8670
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
What's racist is because it's not a matter of color, but in your comparison of neighborhoods, it's mostly a matter of class and economics. I don't deny, however, that a largely black neighborhood with the same quality of housing as a largely white neighborhood, may have lower prices. I do wonder if that is true, adjusted for the quality of schools. I've never seen a study analyzing this for all factors. Have you?

Also, I doubt that the $99k home in Glenville is the same as the $300k house in Cleveland Heights.

Number one, the schools are worse. CH schools don't have great ratings, but they are better than those serving Glenville and Hough.

Number two, those houses in CH near Little Italy are very well maintained and many have had very expensive renovations.

Number three, the nearby amenities (including Little Italy) are much better in CH.
The real racists are the gentrifiers who are pouring into the West Side but won't be caught dead restoring a fine home in Glenville... not those who point out the really obvious fact that Glenville is a black neighborhood.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-18-2017, 08:28 AM
 
Location: Cleveland, OH
9,829 posts, read 9,115,760 times
Reputation: 8821
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
The real racists are the gentrifiers who are pouring into the West Side but won't be caught dead restoring a fine home in Glenville... not those who point out the really obvious fact that Glenville is a black neighborhood.
How many homes in Glenville do you own?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-24-2017, 02:48 AM
 
6,418 posts, read 5,756,067 times
Reputation: 8670
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
How many homes in Glenville do you own?
My comment was not entirely fair. Sorry.

I don't own any.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top