Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 02:40 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times

Advertisements

West Park is nice; solid homes including some pretty large ones, bordering on mini-mansions in a few areas; but this area is not very diverse. It's lily white and pretty conservative politically, if that's what you like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 02:41 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
That was the only time I had ventured over towards that area of the city, so take this with a grain of salt, but the area along puritas between 140th and 150th seemed kind of seedy.
It certainly is not what it used to be.

Old 08-24-2016, 02:42 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
No, I love that area, but affordable rentals are a little hard to come by.
What's your definition of "affordable"? In terms of dollars?

Old 08-24-2016, 04:10 PM

816 posts, read 1,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
What's your definition of "affordable"? In terms of dollars?
No more than $600. Preferably lower, obviously.

Old 09-02-2016, 12:46 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Default Larchmere's "eclectic charm"

Cleveland's Larchmere neighborhood bustling with restaurants, shopping & other fun | cleveland.com

Old 09-02-2016, 08:39 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Like I told you in the other thread, the only street that's somewhat decent north of Wade Park Ave. is East blvd., and even there many of the houses are abandoned or not kept up. Any of the other streets in the area that you're describing are downright awful, with housing prices averaging $10,000-$20,000. Even poor people don't want to live there. Classic Reretarff, you are talking about something that you clearly know nothing about as if you are the authority on it.
It was a great area 75 years ago. Maybe Mr. Reretarff is a pseudonym for Rip van Winkle.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:23 PM

378 posts, read 341,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
It was a great area 75 years ago. Maybe Mr. Reretarff is a pseudonym for Rip van Winkle.
Ignoring the racist aspect of his post, I think he (maybe?) meant the few blocks in the triangular area between the JFK/East Blvd to the West, Adams/Pierpoint/the elementary school to the North, and E 99th ST to the East. It's a small but seemingly stable little section (If you look at foreclosures this area is anomalously light on them). Parkside, Thorn, and E 97th make up a great neighborhood in my opinion and it's a bit broader of an area than the sliver of restored housing between Wade Park and Ashbury. But that could be subjective.

Old 09-10-2016, 09:47 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,915,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_ws View Post
Ignoring the racist aspect of his post, I think he (maybe?) meant the few blocks in the triangular area between the JFK/East Blvd to the West, Adams/Pierpoint/the elementary school to the North, and E 99th ST to the East. It's a small but seemingly stable little section (If you look at foreclosures this area is anomalously light on them). Parkside, Thorn, and E 97th make up a great neighborhood in my opinion and it's a bit broader of an area than the sliver of restored housing between Wade Park and Ashbury. But that could be subjective.
Agreed that there are little slivers of Glenville that are well preserved and that Glenville overall is very pretty - but they are a five minute walk from areas you wouldn't want to be alone at night. There is also a nice part of Hough on the opposite side of Rockefeller/Gordon parks, along Ansel Road. Same caveat.

Why is it racist to suggest that African American neighborhoods are less desirable? The market tells you the desirability of an area, and you can buy a gorgeous historic house in the best part of nearly all-black Glenville for $99,000 that would cost $300,000 a couple miles farther south in integrated Cleveland Heights.

Here's the house: http://photos2.zillowstatic.com/p_f/...0000000000.jpg

Old 09-11-2016, 04:23 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Agreed that there are little slivers of Glenville that are well preserved and that Glenville overall is very pretty - but they are a five minute walk from areas you wouldn't want to be alone at night. There is also a nice part of Hough on the opposite side of Rockefeller/Gordon parks, along Ansel Road. Same caveat.

Why is it racist to suggest that African American neighborhoods are less desirable? The market tells you the desirability of an area, and you can buy a gorgeous historic house in the best part of nearly all-black Glenville for $99,000 that would cost $300,000 a couple miles farther south in integrated Cleveland Heights.

Here's the house: http://photos2.zillowstatic.com/p_f/...0000000000.jpg
What's racist is because it's not a matter of color, but in your comparison of neighborhoods, it's mostly a matter of class and economics. I don't deny, however, that a largely black neighborhood with the same quality of housing as a largely white neighborhood, may have lower prices. I do wonder if that is true, adjusted for the quality of schools. I've never seen a study analyzing this for all factors. Have you?

Also, I doubt that the $99k home in Glenville is the same as the $300k house in Cleveland Heights.

Number one, the schools are worse. CH schools don't have great ratings, but they are better than those serving Glenville and Hough.

Number two, those houses in CH near Little Italy are very well maintained and many have had very expensive renovations.

Number three, the nearby amenities (including Little Italy) are much better in CH.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:02 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
What's racist is because it's not a matter of color, but in your comparison of neighborhoods, it's mostly a matter of class and economics. I don't deny, however, that a largely black neighborhood with the same quality of housing as a largely white neighborhood, may have lower prices. I do wonder if that is true, adjusted for the quality of schools. I've never seen a study analyzing this for all factors. Have you?

Also, I doubt that the $99k home in Glenville is the same as the $300k house in Cleveland Heights.

Number one, the schools are worse. CH schools don't have great ratings, but they are better than those serving Glenville and Hough.

Number two, those houses in CH near Little Italy are very well maintained and many have had very expensive renovations.

Number three, the nearby amenities (including Little Italy) are much better in CH.
Nice response...

I'd also add that this really nice Rockefeller Park section of Glenville is overwhelmingly African American; Mike White lived there when he was mayor. Also there are large numbers of African Americans in suburbs like Beachwood, Orange and Solon, to name a few, and these are among Cleveland's more desirable suburbs in terms of housing, schools and overall quality of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland