Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 10:29 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mortey View Post
Hello!

I have posted here a few times in the past and finally got here (Sagamore Hills where I live and Solon where i work). As I was filling out my new hire paperwork I remembered that there are local and school district taxes you pay. Did some research on it but I'm not really sure how it works.

Just to get this straight on the taxes that I will be paying in Cleveland

Ridiculously high property taxes for a house, school district taxes, taxes in the city I work in, taxes in the city I live in, state income tax, and then of course sales tax.

I'm coming from California where they love to tax everything yet I had no idea there were so many taxes here. I was comparing some homes in San Diego, where I'm from, and their property taxes were MUCH lower than here even though it was valued more. Here is the San Diego House 5473 New Mills Rd, San Diego, CA 92115 is For Sale - Zillow and here is the Shaker Heights one 16000 Shaker Blvd, Shaker Heights, OH 44120 is For Sale - Zillow . I know Shaker Heights has the highest property taxes in the state but it was just one example to get a house comparable to San Diego's prices. Anyways, it just shocks me that the property taxes are so high here and yet there are still so many other taxes. It seems that in Texas there is no income tax and they offset with higher property taxes (same as Cleveland's tax rate) but here there are is income tax in addition to property tax.

I guess I should have expected all these since it is publicly available knowledge but I never thought to look. I was wondering how you guys, who have lived here for longer than me, justify paying all these taxes.

Thanks!
I'm wondering how someone moves 2300+ miles and doesn't consider doing research and cost analysis.

First, you are way off base. There are 4 basic taxes: state, municipal (RITA), property, and sales.

If you make $100,000 per year, the state tax is about 3%. The municipal tax is usually around 2%, depending on where you live and work. Municipal tax is also only levied once. You pay it directly where you work and make up the difference (if any) for where you live. It is not a separate tax and you are not taxed twice. Property taxes are based on where you live as well as your property value. "School" taxes are contained within these 3 taxes with a fair percentage coming from your property taxes. It is not a separate tax. Sales taxes are only applied to items that are not food.

It is ridiculous to compare property tax rates between CA and OH for the basic reason that you can get way more house for way less money in OH. Only a fool gets a better house with more land for 20-30% of the cost and then complains about the property taxes which, apples to apples, is far less than in CA. Just look at your example, for christ's sake. You're comparing a crappy, 1350 sq. ft. ranch on a postage stamp lot to a beautiful 3,850 Georgian on nearly an acre of land!! Here's an idea: find the same crappy ranch in NEO on a postage stamp lot and then make your assessment on both cost and property taxes. Also, try taking a balanced approach with location instead of finding the highest tax rate in the 20 county area. I live in a house valued at $325k and pay about $4k in property taxes.

From the standpoint of state and local taxation, Ohio is middle of the pack (#28, the last time I checked). CA is near the top (#6). So, basically, stop complaining. Financially speaking, you are way better off in OH even if you just base it on the cost of living alone. This is common knowledge and a primary reason people like yourself decide to leave CA and the sole reason why I have turned down jobs in SoCal and the Bay Area -- a 20% salary increase = a 2-300% cost of living increase.

Last edited by Cleveland_Collector; 07-19-2014 at 10:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2014, 10:58 AM

4,361 posts, read 7,173,361 times
Quote:
Maybe that's why renting in this city is so expensive!
You're a friggin' troll. Rent here is downright cheap compared to the coasts. In my research at a west coast move several years back, I found the cost was 3-4x more for a comparable apartment.

Old 07-19-2014, 06:10 PM

78 posts, read 95,484 times
Well that was rude. First of all, I don't think I'm a troll because I think rent is much more expensive than owning a comparable home here. When I was looking for a place to rent here I 3 bed 2 baths were going for about 1100 a month yet houses nearby were selling for around $75k matching the same sort of features. Those payments, included taxes, homeowner's insurance, and even PMI were less than half the cost of renting the same house. So yes, rent here is much cheaper than the coasts but to say it's downright cheap doesn't do it justice. And I'm even going to say that in some cases rent here is similar to the rent in San Diego, even with the same area and square footage.

You don't think I've done my research? I said that the houses here are much cheaper than San Diego hence me being here. You are so worked up thinking that I am ticked off or "complaining" with the taxes when in fact I just wanted to really understand what all the different taxes were.

Despite your angry or frustrated tone I appreciate you explaining some of the tax situation to me. You just need to calm down dude. I meant no disrespect.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:29 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,505 times
Mortey...Let me know how it works out there for you in Ohio. I'm in SB (93110). My cousins live in Solon and work in Cleveland. I know what you are saying about prop. taxes, but you'll also find things like a YMCA about half the cost per month vs. CA YMCA's and MANY other things not as much. I just filled my Honda this week at 4.52 per gallon! What are you paying?

My son just received a nice booklet from Miami University in Oxford. Maybe if he applies there, his mom will agree to get to Ohio so I can not work 3 jobs! LOL (2 of them I own the company so really not complaining).

Seriously, let me know how you adjust to humidity and cold vs. San Diego and best of luck!

Rob

Old 07-21-2014, 07:50 AM

I love it here so far! Of course we haven't had a winter yet but I am kind of looking forward to it. Never lived in snow before and always wanted to. I'm sure that will pass with time but for now I can't wait. Enjoying all the awesome trails and hiking opportunities. My wife and I are constantly mouth agape looking at this beautiful, affordable homes that we see everyday. She constantly says "it feels like vacation and that we don't actually live in this wonderful place".

Old 07-21-2014, 11:52 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,679,952 times
Quote:
Well that was rude. First of all, I don't think I'm a troll because I think rent is much more expensive than owning a comparable home here.
Isn't that the case in a TON of places though? My friend just moved to Fort Lauderdale. Paying $1,500 a month for a TINY little apartment. Looking into buying a small home and he's going to pay less then $1,500.
I would think the expensive areas of California would be very similar.

Just taking a cursory glance at San Diego Craigslist... Anything from $800 to well over $2500.

0 Bedroom, 1 bath: $940
Hillcrest Studio Apt. Available

2&3 Bedrooms Apartment Homes CSUSM

I mean WOW! I would hope it's cheaper to buy a condo...

Old 07-21-2014, 12:17 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,125 times
Quote:
Well that was rude. First of all, I don't think I'm a troll because I think rent is much more expensive than owning a comparable home here.
No worries, people spend more time trying to defend Cleveland that actually enjoying it. Check out the sales tax though relative to other cities in Ohio.

Cincy sales tax - 6.75%
Toledo sales tax - 7.0%
Cbus sales tax - 7.5%
Dayton sales tax - 7.25%
Akron sales tax - 6.75%

Cleveland sales tax?

Wait for it......

Wait for it......

8.0% .... and people actually try to justify it.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:16 PM

Sales Tax doesn't bother me at all though. I'm used to a very high sales tax so I'm ok. Also, it seems we are taxed a lot less on things here than in California as far as sales tax goes.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:19 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,535,125 times
Pretty much everything in Cali is more expensive in terms of cost of living. I'm talking about a city in Ohio relative to other Ohio cities.

Old 07-21-2014, 01:25 PM

You're right! I wonder why it is much higher in Cleveland than the other cities?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland