Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 10:27 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times

Advertisements

You guys are great! Thanks. If anyone has suggestions for restaurants - especially within 5 miles or so of our hotel - we'd be grateful. ANY kind of food except sushi, liquor license required, budget to moderate prices preferred, but willing to splurge on something special.

Off to the airport now. Will check back later!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 10:41 AM

185 posts, read 247,814 times
Enjoy your trip Cleveland is a great time!

Old 07-31-2014, 11:04 AM

1,522 posts, read 2,999,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
You guys are great! Thanks. If anyone has suggestions for restaurants - especially within 5 miles or so of our hotel - we'd be grateful. ANY kind of food except sushi, liquor license required, budget to moderate prices preferred, but willing to splurge on something special.

Off to the airport now. Will check back later!
Independence at Rockside is a chain restaurant strip...

Old 07-31-2014, 08:21 PM

493 posts, read 639,275 times
Quote:
Why do we defiantly have to go to downtown? To see what specifically? Where should we park to minimize the walking? Weekends okay vs. Weekdays?

Thanks everyone!
If I were you, I would take the RTA Rapid to downtown (If you'll be close to a station). The RTA Rapid is the public train/subway in Cleveland, and is very efficient and fast. The parking is free and an all-day pass is $5. The trains usually come every 10-20 minutes depending on the day and time, so I think it's pretty decent. I recommend taking the rapid to downtown because it's better to pay $5 and be able to limitlessly use all of the trains that go around town, instead of driving downtown through all the traffic and then pay $30 or more just for parking.

In downtown, there are lots of great bars and restaurants, especially along Euclid Avenue. Playhouse Square, the second largest theater district in the country, has multiple very nice theaters and a lot of restaurants. The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame is really cool and it's right on the lake. I recommend going to downtown.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:51 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,672,308 times
You should go yo Melt for dinner. Very close to the hotel. I recommend splitting a sandwich unless your big eaters.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:00 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You should go yo Melt for dinner. Very close to the hotel. I recommend splitting a sandwich unless your big eaters.
LOL! That's exactly where we went tonight, we each have half a ssandwich in the fridge for breakfast.

I'll link to my yelp review when I get back home.

And I'll follow up here with the full details of our visit next week. But after a brief 30 hour visit, I can assure you that we are very surprised and impressed. Cleveland has an undeserved bad rep!

Old 08-03-2014, 05:19 PM

4,517 posts, read 5,090,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reretarff View Post
If I were you, I would take the RTA Rapid to downtown (If you'll be close to a station). The RTA Rapid is the public train/subway in Cleveland, and is very efficient and fast. The parking is free and an all-day pass is $5. The trains usually come every 10-20 minutes depending on the day and time, so I think it's pretty decent. I recommend taking the rapid to downtown because it's better to pay $5 and be able to limitlessly use all of the trains that go around town, instead of driving downtown through all the traffic and then pay $30 or more just for parking.

In downtown, there are lots of great bars and restaurants, especially along Euclid Avenue. Playhouse Square, the second largest theater district in the country, has multiple very nice theaters and a lot of restaurants. The Rock N Roll Hall of Fame is really cool and it's right on the lake. I recommend going to downtown.
Actually taking the Rapid downtown is an excellent suggestion even for one (like DH) who can't walk distances. I find folks who think transit involves too much walking, end up doing MORE walking when they drive and park... Some lots require lots of walking and stairs (when those old elevators aren't working too well). And then if you want to go to the other parts of downtown and you have to pay to get your car out...

Downtown's pretty compact anyway. Plus there are free trolleys, tons of regular buses (as you note, the $5 All Day allows people to ride on any route for no additional fare), many cabs, and even pedicabs, now... You can even Rapid, bus or cab over to Ohio City, which has become just as exciting as downtown in recent years -- tons of bars (esp brewpubs), restaurants, the West Side Market (when it's open) and now ice cream joints, esp the spanking new, magnificent Mitchell's Ice Cream restaurant/factory/museum on W. 25 in the converted theatre building. Ohio City has morphed into not just Cleveland's most exciting neighborhood, but one of the Hot Spots of the nation.

Old 08-07-2014, 09:57 AM

5,294 posts, read 5,235,996 times
Quote:
LOL! That's exactly where we went tonight, we each have half a ssandwich in the fridge for breakfast.

I'll link to my yelp review when I get back home.

And I'll follow up here with the full details of our visit next week. But after a brief 30 hour visit, I can assure you that we are very surprised and impressed. Cleveland has an undeserved bad rep!

Glad your trip went well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland