Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:19 PM

16 posts, read 65,213 times

Advertisements

I recently visited Mentor and surrounding areas in preparation for a possible move. As an African American, I was very aware of how, shall I say, non-diverse the area was. I was curious, is there something, maybe historically, that has kept black folk and other minorities from moving to Mentor? It can't be the price, as it's really pretty reasonable compared to middle class black areas in DC and Atlanta. To my fellow African Americans in NE Ohio, is there something that has kept you from moving out to a great place like Mentor? And to everyone in general, have you noticed anything particularly unwelcoming to minorities in Mentor? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2007, 08:48 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,101,714 times
There was an article in the Lake County News Herald recently about the first black family to move into an area of Mentor near Lake Shore Blvd, almost in Mentor on the Lake (which is a separate city). There was apparently an incident of racial slurs and a noose being put on a mailbox, and the kid's family was sued for around $100,000; the African American family won the suit, and said that they have no intentions of moving. I'm not sure if that type of experience is common among minorities moving to Mentor.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:25 PM

332 posts, read 2,251,855 times
From my experience it started in the 60s. When the first whites were moving into places like Mentor in Lake County, blacks were just starting to move into inner ring suburbs like Cleveland Heights, Euclid and Shaker Heights. Now that a good portion of the populations of those cities are AA, there are a few blacks just starting to venture out into areas like Mentor. I don't think there's anything that's keeping blacks out, just blacks haven't begun moving there in large numbers. An area like Mentor with s more sizeable black population would be Twinsburg. Just curious are you new to the area?

Old 12-30-2007, 09:05 AM

16 posts, read 65,213 times
I am considering a relocation to the area for a job, and am very interested in Mentor. It's a little strange because I have previously lived in areas where blacks are more scattered demographically throughout the metro area (Atlanta, for example), but I don't mind being a pioneer. I was just wondering if there was something I should be aware of in terms of how minorities are treated in Mentor and surrounding areas. The post by OhioNative sounds a little concerning - does anyone know of other incidents or problems?

Old 12-30-2007, 05:23 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
North East ohio has TONS of diverse areas, don't let Lake County or Mentor fool you. Overall, I don't think being black should be a problem in Mentor... It's generally touted as a welcoming community. Like anywhere - isolated things can happen. But I have never heard of racism coming out of Mentor.

Old 12-30-2007, 06:03 PM

Another article in the NewsHerald from today highlighted the diversity in Painesville schools, just next door to Mentor. The school that was discussed is one third white, one third Hispanic, and one third black, and the article discussed some positive aspects of that diversity. I'm sure some of that diversity will eventually spill over into Mentor, especially the northern parts with lots of abundant affordable housing.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:50 AM

3 posts, read 15,219 times
I lived in Mentor previously with my bi-racial kids, we had NO problems whatsoever. My kids have black friends that live in Mentor with no problems. My daughter's friends mother said she wanted to move to Mentor for a long time from Painesvile because of the crime, bad schools, and declining community in Painesville, but was always worried because there were little african americans there. She has moved there, LOVES Mentor, the MUCH better schools there and the safer community. Housing prices and property & local taxes are higher. The number of bi-racial & african americans are on the rise there. Great community, Great shopping & restaurants..... you shouldn't have much of a problem in Mentor!

Old 01-16-2008, 08:22 AM

3 posts, read 16,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKendrow View Post
I recently visited Mentor and surrounding areas in preparation for a possible move. As an African American, I was very aware of how, shall I say, non-diverse the area was. I was curious, is there something, maybe historically, that has kept black folk and other minorities from moving to Mentor? It can't be the price, as it's really pretty reasonable compared to middle class black areas in DC and Atlanta. To my fellow African Americans in NE Ohio, is there something that has kept you from moving out to a great place like Mentor? And to everyone in general, have you noticed anything particularly unwelcoming to minorities in Mentor? Thanks.
I'm a 23 year old African American woman who's married (to an African American), with no children. I am a native of California (Bay Area). I moved to Cleveland Hts. in 2002 and it wasn't too bad, actually quite nice with a lot of charm (the houses). Don't know how it is now as we moved out a year later. When people talk about diversity here in Cleveland, I pretty much laugh. If you want diversity, the Bay Area has an array of races and ethnic groups and don't get me started on the weather (nice)! But I digress, we then ventured to Euclid in a town home and after that, my husband and I moved off of Euclid ave. (around 276th street).

Our lease is up in March and we were looking to rent an apartment in the Mentor area. My husband works in Concord Township and it would be closer to his job especially with all this damn snow (ugh!). I went to a vocational school in Mentor in 2006 and fell in love with how nice the area was. I eventually starting coming to Mentor to shop and things of the sort (Mentor Mall is AWESOME!). But I did find that me and my husband was a "minority" there (in more ways than one - ha!) and to be honest, it did make me feel a little uncomfortable at times. Not because of the people but of the unexpected I guess. I too have the same concerns as the original poster. I am so glad you asked this question because I really don't have the time or the tolerance for ignorance and racism (it's 2008 for goodness sake. No race is superior so get over it!). It's a damn shame that we even have to ask this question given the fact that we are in the 21st century but that's how it is apparently. Thanks for all the responses and please add more comments if you are familiar with the Mentor area.

Old 01-17-2008, 05:16 AM

2 posts, read 14,527 times
I'm white and wouldn't even think of living in MENTOR. I think people are snotty, think they are above all others and things, homes, gas, groceries, ect. do cost more. Painesville twp. Concord twp. Perry, in Lake County would be a good place to live.

Old 01-17-2008, 06:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANative84 View Post
Our lease is up in March and we were looking to rent an apartment in the Mentor area. My husband works in Concord Township and it would be closer to his job especially with all this damn snow (ugh!). I went to a vocational school in Mentor in 2006 and fell in love with how nice the area was. I eventually starting coming to Mentor to shop and things of the sort (Mentor Mall is AWESOME!). But I did find that me and my husband was a "minority" there (in more ways than one - ha!) and to be honest, it did make me feel a little uncomfortable at times. Not because of the people but of the unexpected I guess. I too have the same concerns as the original poster. I am so glad you asked this question because I really don't have the time or the tolerance for ignorance and racism (it's 2008 for goodness sake. No race is superior so get over it!). It's a damn shame that we even have to ask this question given the fact that we are in the 21st century but that's how it is apparently. Thanks for all the responses and please add more comments if you are familiar with the Mentor area.
I think that you'll be ok with Mentor. The incident that I referenced earlier was close to Mentor on the Lake, in a very working class area. When I visit nowadays, I see many more minorities, both black and Hispanic, at the mall, Babies R Us, Wal Mart, etc. It's not diversity like the Bay Area or here in Atlanta, but for Mentor even a little diversity represents a change from the past, when I was growing up there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland