U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 05:57 AM

3,460 posts, read 2,574,299 times

Advertisements

I have heard good things about Momocho and Luchita's, as well as Bodega in Coventry. Best I have had though is Don Tequila on the east side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2014, 03:34 PM

39 posts, read 121,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
Thank you. She lives in Solon so I'll ask.
If they haven't been there, they NEED to go and take you with them as well. It'll be your new favorite restaurant.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:17 PM

31 posts, read 47,770 times
I am seriously relocating to Cleveland in the next six months. Employment is not a concern of mine since I work from home, but I would like to know about the West side schools. I would love to move back to Lakewood, but I have been hearing positive things about Tremont, Ohio City, Edgewater, etc. My question is: are the quality of these neighborhood schools getting better or are they still pretty low quality? Would Lakewood be a better choice to raise a family? I currently homeschool my children but would consider enrolling them in public school if the schools are up to par with the education they are used to getting at home.

Old 10-22-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiNerd View Post
I am seriously relocating to Cleveland in the next six months. Employment is not a concern of mine since I work from home, but I would like to know about the West side schools. I would love to move back to Lakewood, but I have been hearing positive things about Tremont, Ohio City, Edgewater, etc. My question is: are the quality of these neighborhood schools getting better or are they still pretty low quality? Would Lakewood be a better choice to raise a family? I currently homeschool my children but would consider enrolling them in public school if the schools are up to par with the education they are used to getting at home.
They have gotten a lot better since you left. But, Ohio City, Tremont and Edgewater are more for younger people. There are lots of restaurants, bars and clubs there. The schools aren't very good. I recommend you move to a suburb.

Old 10-22-2014, 07:35 PM

3,141 posts, read 3,622,486 times
Quote:
There are public school options for high achieving students. At the K-8 level, there's campus international, Tremont Montessori, Cleveland School of the Arts, and charter schools like Citizen's Academy. At the high school level, there's John Hay, Bard Early College, MC2 STEM, and Cleveland School of the Arts. There are options in the City of Cleveland for those who are looking for quality schools, and value education.

Old 10-23-2014, 04:56 AM

2,019 posts, read 3,377,063 times
Too bad Cleveland school of arts is surrounded by gangs and dope boys.. The staff is awesome.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:28 AM

31 posts, read 47,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
There are public school options for high achieving students. At the K-8 level, there's campus international, Tremont Montessori, Cleveland School of the Arts, and charter schools like Citizen's Academy. At the high school level, there's John Hay, Bard Early College, MC2 STEM, and Cleveland School of the Arts. There are options in the City of Cleveland for those who are looking for quality schools, and value education.
I forgot that Ohio has Charter schools! I grew up in Cleveland City Schools, the east and the west side, and academically, I have always done very well. Glad to know that there are way more options for children now. Honestly, I have always preferred the city over the suburbs since I am an urbanite at heart, but Lakewood never seemed TOO suburban for me so we were happy living there as well. I won't be moving until next year, so we will visit different parts of the west side and see which part everyone likes the most.

Old 10-24-2014, 08:25 PM

5 posts, read 15,001 times
I now live in Alaska...But Cleveland was always Eastside vs. Westside...Eastside has a high jewish population like in suburbs as Solon, Beachwood, Cleveland Heights to name a few...and the westside has a higher population of latinos and some would say a lower income class of people...I lived on both sides of the Cleveland area..and both were interesting , had the same road access to hospitals, schools and malls...The only difference is there choice of teams to root for when it comes to football season.....they both root for the lousy browns..........the very cold , icey cold town of cleveland........6 months of cold and rain...I moved where the quality of air was better...no other reason.

Old 10-24-2014, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moxie2012 View Post
I now live in Alaska...But Cleveland was always Eastside vs. Westside...Eastside has a high jewish population like in suburbs as Solon, Beachwood, Cleveland Heights to name a few...and the westside has a higher population of latinos and some would say a lower income class of people...I lived on both sides of the Cleveland area..and both were interesting , had the same road access to hospitals, schools and malls...The only difference is there choice of teams to root for when it comes to football season.....they both root for the lousy browns..........the very cold , icey cold town of cleveland........6 months of cold and rain...I moved where the quality of air was better...no other reason.
You sound like you know Cleveland fairly well, but you're being too general. The east side is particularly Jewish in most suburbs.

The suburbs with a large Jewish population are Euclid, Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, University Heights, Mayfield Heights, Beachwood, Orange, Solon, Pepper Pike, Wickliffe, Willoughby, Willowick, Richmond Heights, University Circle, and a small population in East Cleveland, near the Cleveland Heights border.

The east side has an even larger African American population. Mainly within the city of Cleveland on the east side, along with Warrensville Heights, Bedford Heights, Maple Heights, North Randall, Highland Hills, >50% of Garfield Heights, >50% of Euclid, >50% of Bedford, and >50% of Richmond Heights,

The suburbs with a large Russian population are Solon, Orange, Mayfield Heights, Euclid, Cleveland Heights, University Heights, University Circle, Richmond Heights, Shaker Heights, and Beachwood. (Mostly in neighborhoods with large Jewish populations, as most of the Russian's in Cleveland are Jewish.)

The suburbs with a large Asian (Mostly Chinese) population are Asiatown Cleveland, Solon, Beachwood and Mayfield Heights. (Though not in many neighborhoods, there are very dense large populations of Asians in said neighborhoods, especially in Solon.

The suburbs with a large Italian population are Little Italy (Of course), Cleveland Heights, Mayfield Heights/Village, Solon, Orange, Beachwood, Euclid, Willoughby/Wickliffe/Willowick, along with small neighborhoods throughout Cleveland, such as St.Clair and E.63rd.

Keep in mind these are just for the East Side. As an East Sider, I am barely aware of what the West Side beholds. I hope this helps people decide which neighborhoods they prefer!

Old 10-27-2014, 08:03 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,367,976 times
Quote:
I forgot that Ohio has Charter schools! I grew up in Cleveland City Schools, the east and the west side, and academically, I have always done very well. Glad to know that there are way more options for children now. Honestly, I have always preferred the city over the suburbs since I am an urbanite at heart, but Lakewood never seemed TOO suburban for me so we were happy living there as well. I won't be moving until next year, so we will visit different parts of the west side and see which part everyone likes the most.
I don't know how it works, but I'd suggest you look into the process of going to a specific school, in particular, whether there's a lottery or something. You don't want to make the mistake of moving to a CMSD school district for a particular school and then not being able to actually go to that school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or