Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-27-2016, 08:12 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,324 times

Advertisements

Congrats! I am not living in CLE, yet... however, for the boys, there is youth hockey and high school hockey, I believe. Also, CLE has the Lake Erie Monsters, the Columbus AHL team. Good hockey at an affordable price!

Check local schools or Google, "high school hockey CLE"

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2016, 01:03 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenowheregirl View Post
Hi everybody- Here's our situation: My husband and I, along with our five kids (all under the age of ten), currently live in central Washington. We are born-and-raised Midwesterners and were transferred out here almost two years ago. My husband's job contract is up in May 2017, and we are determined to move back "home". Seattle is gorgeous but painfully expensive, the deserts of central Washington have not been a good fit, and we miss our roots (Chicago for my husband, Wisconsin for myself). I realize it may not be considered a part of the true Midwest, but Cleveland has always been a favorite place of ours to visit over the years, and we've been so excited for all the growth and good change that has come to the city through the determined efforts of its devoted citizens. The Cleveland area has always been on our "list" of possible places to relocate to. So as we are slowly making our day toward moving day, we are investigating Cleveland and Minneapolis as potential cities. Moving back to our hometown is another option, but I wouldn't mind having a slightly larger buffer zone between us and the in-laws. They love to try to micro-manage our lives, and it was growing to unhealthy proportions before we moved. Cleveland and Minneapolis are both about an easy 7 hour drive from the Chicago area, so it passes "The Buffer Test." Anyway, I wanted your honest opinions on a few things: The last time we were in Cleveland (actually visiting, not just driving through) was 9 years ago. How much have things changed in the past 9 years? I've seen the Downtown Cleveland Alliance videos (whoever is doing their marketing is brilliant), I've kept up on the news of the latest improvements, etc, but I want to hear it from YOU. How do you really feel things are going? My husband would be looking for a job in finance, and I am a pianist/piano teacher/accompanist. How's the job market on those vocations? Side note: I work only VERY part-time because I am currently homeschooling our five kids, but I've typically been able to find work anywhere, so it's my husband's job that's really important. Ok, back to topic. We would most likely be looking to live in the Shaker Heights area. We miss having an older home and a traditional neighborhood, etc , etc. I've noticed the property taxes are insanely high in Shaker, and other than highly rated public schools, why on earth are they so high?? Also, our boys are really into hockey. Does anyone know anything about the hockey scene in the Cleveland area? Any thoughts on our situation would be appreciated. We've always really liked Cleveland despite all of the naysayers over the years, and it just has a special vibe about it that's hard to describe (I'm sorry; I know that's a terribly lame way to describe it!) Anyway, your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Thank you!
Property taxes are high in Shaker Heights because there is relatively little industry and other commercial development. Also, SH celebrates very high levels of public services. E.g., I believe garbage collectors still go up driveways and gather garbage containers and then return them after emptying them, with no garbage collected from tree lawns.

Several communities have good ice hockey programs, among them Shaker Heights. Older kids typically play in high school. Shaker Hts. has won the state championship in the past.

If you look through the Brooklyn and Kent qualifying brackets under "Statewide Brackets" here, you can find the best Cleveland area high school teams. Not every community has ice rinks and strong hockey programs.

2014 OHSAA Statewide Ice Hockey Tournament Brackets

Finding piano jobs in the Cleveland area may be difficult because the area has two excellent conservatories -- the Cleveland Institute of Music and Oberlin. E.g., I know a couple persons with kids who specialized in piano. Jobs are very competitive. Check out the Cleveland Music Settlement.

There are several communities in Greater Cleveland with older homes and traditional neighborhoods, even in "newer" communities. E.g., Mentor and Solon have a few such neighborhoods and good ice hockey programs.

If you want big houses at reasonable prices, typically well below replacement cost, it's tough to beat Shaker Heights and Cleveland Hts. So what you pay in higher real estate taxes, which are deductible, may be saved in the purchase price. Beware of money pits; older houses can be very expensive and paying up for houses that have been modernized may be a bargain.

Apart from real estate taxes, familiarize yourself with municipal income taxes including the residential credit.

There is a part of Cleveland around Shaker Square that is in the SH school district.

As for how Cleveland has changed in the last decade, probably the vast improvements at the Cleveland Museum of Art may be most important IMO, especially for a family with young children. The CMA is phenomenal for children; check out Gallery One and Studio Play.

Old 01-28-2016, 07:26 AM

372 posts, read 593,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenowheregirl View Post
Hi everybody- Here's our situation: My husband and I, along with our five kids (all under the age of ten), currently live in central Washington. We are born-and-raised Midwesterners and were transferred out here almost two years ago. My husband's job contract is up in May 2017, and we are determined to move back "home". Seattle is gorgeous but painfully expensive, the deserts of central Washington have not been a good fit, and we miss our roots (Chicago for my husband, Wisconsin for myself). I realize it may not be considered a part of the true Midwest, but Cleveland has always been a favorite place of ours to visit over the years, and we've been so excited for all the growth and good change that has come to the city through the determined efforts of its devoted citizens. The Cleveland area has always been on our "list" of possible places to relocate to. So as we are slowly making our day toward moving day, we are investigating Cleveland and Minneapolis as potential cities. Moving back to our hometown is another option, but I wouldn't mind having a slightly larger buffer zone between us and the in-laws. They love to try to micro-manage our lives, and it was growing to unhealthy proportions before we moved. Cleveland and Minneapolis are both about an easy 7 hour drive from the Chicago area, so it passes "The Buffer Test." Anyway, I wanted your honest opinions on a few things: The last time we were in Cleveland (actually visiting, not just driving through) was 9 years ago. How much have things changed in the past 9 years? I've seen the Downtown Cleveland Alliance videos (whoever is doing their marketing is brilliant), I've kept up on the news of the latest improvements, etc, but I want to hear it from YOU. How do you really feel things are going? My husband would be looking for a job in finance, and I am a pianist/piano teacher/accompanist. How's the job market on those vocations? Side note: I work only VERY part-time because I am currently homeschooling our five kids, but I've typically been able to find work anywhere, so it's my husband's job that's really important. Ok, back to topic. We would most likely be looking to live in the Shaker Heights area. We miss having an older home and a traditional neighborhood, etc , etc. I've noticed the property taxes are insanely high in Shaker, and other than highly rated public schools, why on earth are they so high?? Also, our boys are really into hockey. Does anyone know anything about the hockey scene in the Cleveland area? Any thoughts on our situation would be appreciated. We've always really liked Cleveland despite all of the naysayers over the years, and it just has a special vibe about it that's hard to describe (I'm sorry; I know that's a terribly lame way to describe it!) Anyway, your thoughts and opinions would be appreciated. Thank you!

Hi there! I am from the west coast, a former homeschooling mom and a current piano teacher on the Westside. My gut tells me that Shaker will be amazing for homeschooling, but more
difficult to build your teaching business because of all the music schools. I know you didn't mention east vs. west, but thought I'd offer my .02.

Old 01-30-2016, 11:45 PM

44 posts, read 93,337 times
TeacherDad- Thank you for the hockey info! I will definitely check it out.
WRNative- Thank you for all the info- I'm writing everything down to check it out later. We're definitely going to try to find an older house that has had updates. Old houses are definitely a labor of love, and while worth it, we do not wish to relive certain repairs/updates we had to deal with while in our old house, at least not right off the bat It's funny you should mention the museum. The last time we were walking around University Circle, the museum was closed for major renovation. We were so bummed about not being able to visit. It looks like they did an incredible job, based on recent pictures I've seen.
City momma- Hi! Thanks for your reply. How fun that you also homeschooled and teach piano. I'm definitely okay with building my studio slowly, and I get quite a bit of accompanying work as well. In my experience (and definitely correct me if I'm wrong), someone is always needing an accompanist for something.
I really appreciate all of the info! Thanks for taking the time to share.

Old 01-31-2016, 07:57 AM

I assume you've seen this thread, especially post 3.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

West side communities with ice hockey to consider would include Brecksville, Olmsted Falls, North Olmsted, Avon Lake, Strongsville, Westlake, Rocky River and Lakewood.

East side communities with high school ice hockey in addition to SH, CH, Mentor and Solon (highly rated schools) would include Chagrin Falls (great old houses, highly regarded schools), West Geauga and Kenston school districts (both more rural), Orange school district, Mayfield school district, Hudson, and Aurora.

Check locations of ice rinks. Many of the communities listed above have very good high schools academically, even though not noted.

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

2016 National Merit scholarship semi-finalists announced: See Ohio list | cleveland.com

With older houses, be especially cognizant of termite risks/past problems.

Last edited by WRnative; 01-31-2016 at 08:23 AM..

Old 01-31-2016, 10:49 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I assume you've seen this thread, especially post 3.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...cleveland.html

West side communities with ice hockey to consider would include Brecksville, Olmsted Falls, North Olmsted, Avon Lake, Strongsville, Westlake, Rocky River and Lakewood.

East side communities with high school ice hockey in addition to SH, CH, Mentor and Solon (highly rated schools) would include Chagrin Falls (great old houses, highly regarded schools), West Geauga and Kenston school districts (both more rural), Orange school district, Mayfield school district, Hudson, and Aurora.

Check locations of ice rinks. Many of the communities listed above have very good high schools academically, even though not noted.

GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community

2016 National Merit scholarship semi-finalists announced: See Ohio list | cleveland.com

With older houses, be especially cognizant of termite risks/past problems.

Wow, the only Cleveland school with candidates are all from St. Ignatius H.S. and are, of course, all males. Indicative of the state of Cleveland schools generally.

Old 02-09-2016, 03:23 PM

155 posts, read 233,961 times
Looks like I'll probably be moving to the Cleveland area in about 2 months. My house is about to hit the market and then I'm off once its sold (hot market--shouldn't be too long, hopefully). Excited, scared, nervous, all at once!

Old 02-09-2016, 06:51 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,324 times
Best of luck and just visit my cousin at Positively CLE and she'll give you all that there is to do!

Old 02-10-2016, 08:38 AM

155 posts, read 233,961 times
Thanks, I've seen most of their youtube videos!

I've been following this forum for a while and I know you're trying to sell your wife on the move. How's that been going? I'll be escaping CA myself so I can understand the pros/cons of both...well as best possible for Cleveland, I haven't stepped a foot in the state! Haha.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:06 PM

Default Ohio school performance ratings

Solon, Beachwood top the state in scores on new state report cards - See rankings here | cleveland.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland