U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 12:16 PM

2 posts, read 12,417 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am currently a student at Ohio State University and would like to build a career in Cleveland once I graduate. I have found a home on Buckingham Ave. north of Shaker Blvd. and wondered if you think the place would be worth investing in. I am 25 with no kids but would like to look for a long term home. It seems like Shaker Square and Larchmere are nice areas but I wasn't sure how quickly the areas became undesirable west of Shaker Sq. Do you think this area will continue to gentrify westward? I imagine it will since it is so easy to get downtown and has close proximity to UC and Shaker Square. I like the area because of its walk ability and easiness to bike. I personally think it could be a great investment but I am also an urban optimist. To me other peoples perception are much more of a reality than my own. I like anything that is transit oriented and pedestrian friendly but would like some insight from someone who may live in the area.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 12:37 PM

3,141 posts, read 3,622,486 times
I would be more comfortable on the North side of Larchmere, or just generally closer to Larchmere. West of 116th and south of Shaker Blvd. are both really bad, so if you want to be in that neighborhood, I would stay as far from those streets as possible.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:57 PM

518 posts, read 403,923 times
How is the area around E. 131st and Harvard? Is that a bad area? Should I avoid it?

Old 10-29-2014, 03:01 PM

39 posts, read 121,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
How is the area around E. 131st and Harvard? Is that a bad area? Should I avoid it?
Avoid it at all costs.

Try this: Go on Google Maps. Search the area you're considering moving into. If you right away see open lots and boarded up houses, then it's a definite no.

In Cleveland, most areas with an E.###, are usually bad areas.

I would recommend you move to Shaker Heights, or at least somewhere within 2 blocks west of Shaker Square, or anywhere east of Shaker Square.

If you're considering moving into the areas around Shaker Square, then I would recommend nothing further west than E.116th.

Old 10-29-2014, 03:43 PM

518 posts, read 403,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballer10891 View Post
Avoid it at all costs.

Try this: Go on Google Maps. Search the area you're considering moving into. If you right away see open lots and boarded up houses, then it's a definite no.

In Cleveland, most areas with an E.###, are usually bad areas.

I would recommend you move to Shaker Heights, or at least somewhere within 2 blocks west of Shaker Square, or anywhere east of Shaker Square.

If you're considering moving into the areas around Shaker Square, then I would recommend nothing further west than E.116th.
The area does not look that bad, and I am actually considering a house alittle north of Harvard near the library. Plus it is east of E. 116

Old 10-29-2014, 07:53 PM

39 posts, read 121,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usernameunavailable View Post
The area does not look that bad, and I am actually considering a house alittle north of Harvard near the library. Plus it is east of E. 116
The area might not look bad, but you're considering moving into the Mt. Pleasant-Corlett area. Do you realize that you're considering moving into one of the most dangerous neighborhoods in Cleveland? I'll agree, it is one of the best looking neighborhoods in Cleveland, but the crime and drug rate there is extremely high.

The neighborhoods in Cleveland are very weird. We have numerous millionaire neighborhoods that are right next to crime filled poor neighborhoods. Examples: Shaker Heights, Cleveland Heights, Bratenahl.

Just because Mt. Pleasant borders Shaker Heights, doesn't mean it's a very good neighborhood. I recommend you move closer to Shaker Square, or even somewhere around University Circle. There are very nice houses around north of University Circle, around Superior Avenue. The area around E.98th, E.99th, E.100th, etc that border Rockefeller Park, have amazing stunning homes for shockingly cheap prices. There are also some great houses a few blocks northwest of the old synagogue in University Circle.

Remember, Mt. Pleasant isn't as pleasant as it sounds.

Old 10-29-2014, 08:14 PM

Yeah 131st and Harvard is God awful. The East Side (city proper) basically works like this: assume that it's bad unless you have reason to believe otherwise. The only neighborhood where this rule doesn't apply is North Collinwood, which is still mostly intact, and on a similar level to many of the decent West Side neighborhoods. Other than that, unless it's on or near a street that has seen specific gentrification/revitalization, don't consider moving there. Really the only East Side neighborhoods that I would consider are Little Italy/University Circle, Larchmere, North Collinwood/Waterloo, parts of Slavic Village, parts of Goodrich Kirkland (near Asiatown). If you're really brave, you could check out parts of Hough, or Glenville near East Blvd.

Old 11-02-2014, 04:04 PM

2 posts, read 22,289 times
My wife is a medical student who will be doing her rotations, in no particular order, in Elyria and Parma. We're moving early-mid 2015 and I'd love to know if there are some good places to live. We relocated from Tempe, Arizona to Pittsburgh over a year ago and are in a pretty bad neighborhood. (Only one drive by on our street) Anyway, that said, we'd be willing to buy a cheap house in some areas that have a little more old culture and less cleanliness but have to avoid crime this time. That said, renting a cheap, small house is an option too. Any information on that area would be most welcome. Thanks in advance.

Additionally, anywhere we should avoid.

Last edited by runbilly; 11-02-2014 at 05:24 PM..

Old 11-02-2014, 07:30 PM

You could probably find some cheap rentals in a decent neighborhood in Elyria. Elyria is kind of a depressed city that's not too desirable to live in, but you can find safe neighborhoods, and the rent will probably be cheap. Renting a house in most Cleveland suburbs can be surprisingly expensive, especially if you don't want to sacrifice safety.

Old 11-02-2014, 09:26 PM

2,019 posts, read 3,377,063 times
Rent a house in parma instead of elyria, hands down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or