Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 10:22 AM

3 posts, read 9,137 times

Advertisements

With the move of American Greetings HQ to Westlake, I may be securing a job with them and we're considering a move to the area.
Here's the catch: we're a young Jewish family.
I know that most of the Jewish population is in the eastern/southern suburbs, but I'm more attracted to the west; nicer, newer neighborhoods, proximity to the water, and many other factors (including avoiding a commute to work).
I don't mind if we need to commute to temples in the eastern areas (although I've seen now that there's a temple in Lorain, too).
I was just wondering if anyone has any info on the Jewish population in these western suburbs; how many Jewish families, is there a chance that Jewish families will move west in the foreseeable future?
If there are, does anyone know numbers? Which would be the best area to have the most Jewish neighbors?
Thanks a lot in advance; look forward to hearing your input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 10:25 AM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
This would probably give you the best information for the area.

About Access Jewish Cleveland - Access Jewish Cleveland

Best wishes for your new job and home!

Old 10-29-2014, 12:48 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,004 times
There was a good-sized German Jewish community in the early 1900's on the West Side, though it was always a much smaller community (and less influential) than on the east side. Segregated Jewish cemeteries (by appointment only, I think) still exist at Monroe and Fulton, and another one on Ridge near Denison. Some stones in Hebrew, some in Yiddish/German.
Have NO idea where the west side synagogues were, though, or if they still exist. I'd venture that they aren't. I'm pretty certain they're not in the old German neighborhood near Fulton and Lorain and W54 (by St. Stephens). (My great grandfather had a German pharmacy there, though not Jewish). But I could imagine a smaller one tucked away on the west side somewhere, maybe by Rocky River Blvd/Puritas? Just guessing though.
I would venture that there might be some young Jewish professional couples in and around Lakewood. but I could be way off on that. Westlake maybe, if anywhere, in 2014.

Last edited by kpl1228; 10-29-2014 at 12:56 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 08:18 PM

39 posts, read 181,120 times
You can spend 10 years trying to find another Jewish person on the west side, but all you're going to find is bupkes. There are barely any Jewish people for the whole west side. In fact, there are more anti-Semites in the west side than there are Jews. The west side has a large Polish and Ukrainian population, and of course, they're mostly Christian. A lot of them are anti-Semites.

Take it from a guy who grew up in a legit Russian speaking family in the east side. There is a very large Russian community in the east side. Most of us are Jewish. But, as the east side is where the most of the Jewish people live, this is where the Russian Jewish population went, which also includes the Jewish Ukrainians, Moldova's, etc. The reason that none of us went to the west side with the Ukrainians who were already here? 1. A lot of the people over there are anti-Semites and 2. They were here first.

My mom works for the Cleveland Clinic, and like 10 years ago, she had a patient who was an old Ukrainian guy from the west side. As my mom is Russian, and the old guy is a Ukrainian who grew up speaking Russian, they got into a conversation, and somehow the old guy started saying racial slurs, and how Jews suck, etc. My mom was appalled.

Anyways, there are like 1 or 2 small synagogues for the whole west side, right? We have over 20 large synagogues on the east side, not counting the smaller congregations. In fact, Beachwood has so many synagogues, that they're literally next to each other. Shaker Boulevard in Beachwood is just synagogue next to synagogue next to JCC next to Jewish school next to synagogue next to Jewish library next to Jewish college next to synagogue next to Jewish school next to Jewish special needs Friendship Circle next to synagogue.

I strongly recommend you move to the east side. You're most likely going to stick out like sore thumb in the west side. You'll feel more right at home on the east side.

Are you planning on having your kids Bar/Bat Mitzvahed? If so, you definitely have to move to the east side. It'll be strange for them to invite their non-Jewish friends from school to a synagogue on the other side of Cleveland. On the east side, especially in Solon, Beachwood, Shaker Heights, etc, my kids get invited to Bar/Bat Mitzvahs almost every week. My wife and I don't know what to do with them!

As a Jew to a Jew, I recommend you move to the east side. It'll be a lot easier for you.

Old 10-29-2014, 10:56 PM

207 posts, read 339,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bballer10891 View Post
they're mostly Christian. A lot of them are anti-Semites.

I recommend you move to the east side. It'll be a lot easier for you.
They are mostly Catholics, Cleveland has a lot of Catholics. I agree, the east side is much better.

Old 10-30-2014, 06:41 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,044 times
Muslims are the only anti Semites that I know on the west side.. The Christians I know are very very tolerant towards Jews.

Old 10-30-2014, 07:03 AM

246 posts, read 476,180 times
West side Synagogues

Cleveland
Beth Israel - The West Temple | reform jewish synagogue cleveland ohio | cleveland jewish community

Mashiach B'Torah Messianic Synagogue

If you moved to Westlake, on top of the synagogue you mentioned in Lorain, Elyria also has a synagogue which is probably closer

Temple B'nai Abraham in Elyria, Ohio

Old 10-30-2014, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 9,137 times
Thank you all very much for your respective responses. For those of you who suggested I move east, we obviously weighed that option; it's not viable right now. But thanks for your concern.
I was asking for info on the Jewish in the west, and I thank all those who were able to shed light on this.
In the meantime, I've been hearing that the Jews are beginning to move into Avon Lake. Can anyone confirm? Anyone know the statistics? I know there is no organized Jewish infrastructure there yet, but does this rumor hold any water at all?
Again, thanks a lot for your help.

Old 10-30-2014, 01:21 PM

98 posts, read 208,317 times
There is also this temple in the Westpark neighborhood of Cleveland:

Beth Israel-West Temple
14308 Triskett Rd, Cleveland, OH 44111
(216) 941-8882
www.thewesttemple.com

It is a Reform/Conservative synagogue.

Old 10-31-2014, 02:28 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Muslims are the only anti Semites that I know on the west side.. The Christians I know are very very tolerant towards Jews.
This was also my experience when I stayed with my Grandma on the West side. She never said a bad word about anyone and I fear to think what she would have said if I did. She was a life long Catholic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: