U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2014, 12:51 PM

4 posts, read 817 times

Advertisements

My wife is in the Coast Guard and likely will be transferred to the Coast Guard harbor station come Feb. (Cold time to move I know) I am the work from home computer programmer mobile husband lol I am originally from Wheeling WV so I know the weather issues Cleveland faces and can handle all that.

We have three young children, the oldest 4 will start kindergarten next year. Looking through past forums entries for neighborhoods with great elementary schools (we likely wouldn't be here by the time the kids hit middle school or higher) that is not a awful commute to the Coast Guard station. Solon seems to be popular for schools but I was wondering if there would be something closer. Being in the Coast Guard, my wife will be expected to make it into work regardless of the weather and I worry a long commute in the winters could be problematic.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2014, 01:46 PM

3,548 posts, read 4,943,652 times
I'd point you to Rocky River or Lakewood.

For example: http://www.greatschools.org/ohio/roc...entary-School/

Welcome to Cleveland!

To me, Solon is an unneeded commute to Downtown.

Old 11-13-2014, 03:26 PM

156 posts, read 109,392 times
We have a coast guard transplant 2 houses down from us here in Rocky River! They moved here for the family friendly neighborhoods.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:06 PM

4 posts, read 817 times
Thank you both! Rocky River looks good and is just 9 miles from the base. :-)

How is the rental market in Cleveland (Rocky River area more specifically)? I know in Wheeling/Pittsburgh that rental prices are soaring because of the natural gas boom and there is almost a shortage of rental homes. Not sure if Cleveland is within the boundaries of this boom as well.

Old 11-13-2014, 06:28 PM

2,158 posts, read 1,239,585 times
Some good East Side options are Shaker Heights, Beachwood, and maybe Mentor.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:21 AM

623 posts, read 421,956 times
Rocky River or Lakewood are good options. I expect you'll have a hard time finding a suitably large enough rental in Rocky River - you'll have much better luck in Lakewood. Schools aren't as good (IMO) but they're okay enough. There's not really an eastside option that's close enough with decent schools except formaybe Shaker Heights.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:56 PM

2,597 posts, read 3,130,873 times
I was also thinking Rocky River or Lakewood as being your best bet. I'd lean towards Rocky River for having the better peer environment in schools, but the Lakewood schools are fine, particularly at the elementary level, and Lakewood will have better and more affordable rental options.

The commute from the eastside (Mentor, Shaker Heights, Beachwood) may be rough, especially in the winter, and especially considering the eastside generally gets more snow.

Old 11-14-2014, 05:13 PM

4 posts, read 817 times
Thank you all for your input. Much appreciated :-) We hope to make a road-trip to Cleveland soon to check it out and will make the Rocky River/Lakewood areas our top priority. Looking forward to checking out the city! Seems highly under-rated as I have found that it has a wealth of museums and other attractions/parks that are great for families. Thanks again

Old 11-14-2014, 07:50 PM

72 posts, read 28,354 times
I would say to wait a bit. As a former teacher of 1st grade, I saw a huge "5 year old" population. There is NO hurry in getting your kid into K at a younger age. Trust me! Where do you see the problems? In junior and senior high school. My son is a perfect example. He asked to repeat 9th grade because emotionally, he was just not ready and knew it! This is a GATE kid and had never struggled, but he saw his peers cruising the cars and all of that and he was just not into that. I had 3 boys last year-- age 5 at the beginning of 1st. They are struggling in 2nd grade because their bodies are just not ready. I had 3 kids years ago and their parents later said, "If you ever need me to come and tell parents to slow down, let me know." They saw the difference once their kids were in high school.

Since you are moving there, take a year. Let your kid be on the older side. There is NO advantage to starting young. That is my thought when thinking about K.

Best of luck on your move! R

Old 11-15-2014, 12:43 AM

16 posts, read 3,701 times
Rocky River or Lakewood would also put you fairly close to the Coast Guard Exchange in Cleveland (West Park).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland