U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 10:36 AM

56 posts, read 14,832 times

Advertisements

Hello.

So the reason I really became active and stumbled upon this forum a couple months ago was I have been feeling particularly homesick for "The Cleve".

I grew up here until I was 18, then moved to Orlando and started at UCF. However, that decision wasn't completely of my own choosing; my brother and sister and their families had previously taken professional positions and moved down earlier, and so my parents wanted to be closer to them, plus, I have to admit the campus was gorgeous, I was impressed by the developing programs and the fact that tuition was dirt cheap, relatively speaking, didn't hurt either.

I have by and large enjoyed my time at UCF and in Orlando. While the summers are beyond awful (and I didn't experience my first full one until this past year), there are many interesting things to do, some that were similar to what I enjoyed in Ohio, and I even will say I enjoy going to Disney every so often. Also, people have been great down here and really enjoyed attending UCF.

However, beginning last year, I started to have some real doubts about leaving behind my hometown. Since I was spending summers up there, and was actually independent, I was exposed (in some cases for the first time) to many of the blessings our city has to offer. I found that Cleveland really had 8 STRONG advantages, at least in terms of what I enjoyed.

Neighborhoods (Diversity of living, from rural plains to hills, pleasant small towns, and distinct neighborhoods within the city, the WSM is THE best thing ever)

Sports (Corny, I know, and Florida has them too, but it's not the same. No area has all 3 downtown, like a fabric of the community down there, and no one seems to care all that much either.)

Nature (Not really a beach or skin cancer fan, and was not completely aware of how amazing CVNP and Emerald Necklace and Put in Bay are until I left)

Museums/History (Down here is nowhere close, although there really isn't a place anywhere like UC)

Climate (I prefer it. Not for everyone, but I like being comfortable running/biking/hiking year round)

Location (I miss road trips to Montreal, Niagara, Shenandoah, DC, Detroit, NYC, etc.)

Less Overwhelming (All I can say, not a mass of humanity everywhere, either pedestrian or car)

Identity (It all comes back to this. Perspective is everything, but community, with people that are genuinely nice is typically on a micro scale here. Not like the "brotherhood" nature of the Midwest I get.

So all that being said, if it was my own decision, and nothing else at hand, I would already be looking for jobs in the area. However, as it is, having my family down here is significant, but in addition, but I am in a long term relationship right now, and the fiance doesn't particularly like cold weather, but also, all her family is down here so it probably wouldn't be practical to move back at this point in a way.

But, still, I am very homesick, although excited to come back when I can (like a couple weeks in December!). How should I "Bring Cleveland to Orlando" in a way. What do you all suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 11:53 AM

293 posts, read 81,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Hello.

But, still, I am very homesick, although excited to come back when I can (like a couple weeks in December!). How should I "Bring Cleveland to Orlando" in a way. What do you all suggest?
I just had two cases of Bertman's Ballpark Mustard shipped to me in New Mexico. That's a good start.

Old 11-17-2014, 01:33 PM

Very true that stuff is the best! I can't wait to try some of Michael Symon's bbq as long as it's open by the time I am back (it has stadium mustard in it)

Old 11-17-2014, 02:48 PM

1,667 posts, read 1,770,961 times
Bring back several cases of Great Lakes Christmas Ale and some other GLBC favorites

Check out OHDOT web cams of the freeways and look at all the snow around now lol.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:27 PM

Ah, GLBC is excellent. A stop there and at WSM is a must every time in town. And good point haha. But I will say this: as rough as driving in bad snow can be, on average certain intersections in Orlando can be worse year round with traffic/crazy drivers

Old 11-18-2014, 10:09 AM

1,667 posts, read 1,770,961 times
While you're at it...add Thirsty Dog (I know it's in Akron, but still damn good) 12 Dogs of Christmas...and Lager Heads Winter Mischief...NE Ohio brewers know how to do great holiday type beers

If you bring the GF up during the Holidays, take her Ice Skating in University Circle or Public Square and maybe tobaggoning at the Metroparks...show her you can get out and have fun in the snow . Maybe that can peak her interest in moving?

Old 11-18-2014, 08:12 PM

It certainly is, things appear to be looking up in the area. I plan to be a part of that whether I return full time or not, even if that mainly means serving as an ambassador for our city down south, and visiting several weeks, and eventually months per year!

Old 11-18-2014, 10:19 PM

2,748 posts, read 1,848,310 times
I often fantasize of moving back to Cleveland, so I get it. But be careful, don't let your life pass you by as you think of these things. Order some Great Lakes, buy a tribe hat (other clevelanders always say something when I rock the tribe here), but try your best to make the most of your life where you currently are. Your life and your day to day existence and making something of yourself is more important than some loyalty to the coincidence of the geographic area where you were born. If you work on yourself and that takes you back home, that's awesome, I certainly hope it works like that for me. But do try to make your current location a second home.

Old 11-19-2014, 11:01 AM

293 posts, read 81,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I often fantasize of moving back to Cleveland, so I get it. But be careful, don't let your life pass you by as you think of these things. Order some Great Lakes, buy a tribe hat (other clevelanders always say something when I rock the tribe here), but try your best to make the most of your life where you currently are. Your life and your day to day existence and making something of yourself is more important than some loyalty to the coincidence of the geographic area where you were born. If you work on yourself and that takes you back home, that's awesome, I certainly hope it works like that for me. But do try to make your current location a second home.
agreed.

I'm definitely making an effort here. And a year-ish is not enough time really. I'm enjoying it but the fll and the holidays are working their magic on me and I miss the midwest a bit.

Old 11-19-2014, 02:41 PM

Good point. It definitely is tough though. I have a generally idea of what I like in places which includes nature/museums/history especially since Florida is lacking on that. However, I definitely need to make as much of the area as possible and at least try to be content down here since being close to family is certainly a plus. The fact that I'll be able to be back home for a couple weeks in December is definitely helpful too. I'm sure it's just something I will get used to with time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland