Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 08:53 AM

70 posts, read 114,996 times

Advertisements

I just got an internship in Beachwood, and I'm obviously hoping it turns into a full time position. If that's the case, I'm looking to move from Kent to Cleveland in early August. I'm single and looking for a place that's safe, affordable, and active. I'd like to keep the commute to Beachwood under 30 minutes if possible. Thoughts and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Last edited by nrheasley; 11-22-2014 at 09:03 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 10:06 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
What do you mean by active? Outdoors activities or bars/entertainment? What would be your monthly lodging budget? Do you just want an apartment, which isn't a bad idea for your first year in the area, or some other type of lodging?

There are many apartments at the intersection of Mayfield Road and I-271. There are nice apartments just north of the I-90/Route 91 intersection, close to downtown Willoughby which is somewhat popular among young professionals. Willoughby is convenient for lakefront parks/beaches, such as Mentor Headlands Beach State Park, as well as the North Chagrin Reservation of the Cleveland Metroparks, several very good Lake County Metroparks, and Holden Arboretum in Kirtland.

A budget alternative might be in Euclid, on Lakeshore Blvd. east and west of 260th St. This location is more convenient to downtown. Euclid also has fairly good city services including good parks (check out Sims Park if interested in this area, a good jogging location).

There are very reasonable condos available along Lakeshore Blvd., including at the intersection of Lloyd Road and Lakeshore (possibly in Willowick), but I wouldn't buy anything until your career is established and you know the area. Condo rentals may be an option, however.

Check out rental availability in Highland Hills and Highland Heights. Check out websites for cities near Beachwood for housing info, or call the cities, who should be able to provide you with rental contact information. Check out apartment.com and apartmentguide.com. If you want a different type of rental, perhaps check out Craig's List.

South of Beachwood, easy access to Cuyahoga Valley National Park may be a consideration for you.

Good luck with your career!

Old 11-22-2014, 10:08 AM

998 posts, read 1,236,978 times
Congratulations !! :-) What is your age range?

And what is your definition of "affordable" ??

Also, what other amenities are you looking for? (Number of bathrooms / bedrooms, an old subdivided house / large complex, small complex, garage parking, etc.

My sister lived in a large complex at Shaker Square ... very nice, indoor parking, very secure, on the rapid, etc.

I also had med school friends that lived in Little Italy area ... I believe the uncovered parking or lack of parking was their biggest complaint.

I had other friends that lived in subdivided mansions in Shaker Heights. They loved the parks and recreational activities, etc.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
What do you mean by active? Outdoors activities or bars/entertainment? What would be your monthly lodging budget? Do you just want an apartment, which isn't a bad idea for your first year in the area, or some other type of lodging?
Bars/entertainment. I'm not sure about a monthly budget. I'm used to Kent/student/college housing, so I'm not sure what is reasonable or what to expect in terms of rent. I'd love to have a small house or townhouse, but I'm guessing I'll end up in an apartment, which is ok. I definitely want a roommate, and I'm not sure how to go about finding one--it was much easier in college!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Congratulations !! :-) What is your age range?

And what is your definition of "affordable" ??

Also, what other amenities are you looking for? (Number of bathrooms / bedrooms, an old subdivided house / large complex, small complex, garage parking, etc.
I'm 23. And I guess I'm not overly concerned with amenities. I won't say no to a gym and/or pool and/or covered parking, but I can live without them, especially if it jacks up my rent.

I know I'm throwing out a lot of "I don't know"s, but that's why I'm on here--you guys brought up a lot of stuff I hadn't even thought of! Thank you

Old 11-23-2014, 04:14 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,435,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrheasley View Post
Bars/entertainment. I'm not sure about a monthly budget. I'm used to Kent/student/college housing, so I'm not sure what is reasonable or what to expect in terms of rent. I'd love to have a small house or townhouse, but I'm guessing I'll end up in an apartment, which is ok. I definitely want a roommate, and I'm not sure how to go about finding one--it was much easier in college!

I'm 23. And I guess I'm not overly concerned with amenities. I won't say no to a gym and/or pool and/or covered parking, but I can live without them, especially if it jacks up my rent.

I know I'm throwing out a lot of "I don't know"s, but that's why I'm on here--you guys brought up a lot of stuff I hadn't even thought of! Thank you
To find a roommate(s), perhaps post on a KSU bulletin board, advertise in a Kent alumni magazine, or, if you will be working for a large employer (e.g., Progressive), check with their H.R. department to see if they can assist you with housing suggestions, ways to solicit roommates. Rental houses would be more affordable with a couple roommates.

Strongly consider getting covered parking. It will make your life much easier in winter. The east side of Greater Cleveland receives lake effect snow, likely much more total snowfalls than in Kent.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:44 PM

5,295 posts, read 5,241,918 times
You can also use websites like roommates.com for trying to find a roommate.

Covered parking, and onsite snow removal is a huge necessity for an apt to offer due to the lake effect snow.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:23 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,063 times
Look in CH along Mayfield Road just west of coventry or for a duplex/double within walking distance of the bars/restaurants on Lee Road. Personally, I'd do the coventry option, but YMMV.

You might also consider the Shaker Square area though that's probably a bit of an older crowd.

Willoughby is nice as well if you can get walking distance to the main strip there.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:13 PM

3,844 posts, read 9,285,962 times
I'd point you to Coventry (Cleveland Heights south of Mayfield RD) or Little Italy in Cleveland.

Old 11-27-2014, 01:52 AM

3,415 posts, read 5,126,326 times
I live in North Collinwood off of Waterloo. The reason I live here is because 1) the housing is incredibly cheap, 2) it's in the process of seeing large amounts of investment 3) It's close to the beach/Lake Erie 4) It has good freeway access, and is only 10 minutes from downtown 5) I believe in this neighborhood and want to see it make a comeback

Old 11-29-2014, 08:42 PM

I'll definitely be using roommates.com or something similar. Thanks for the tip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: