Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-02-2018, 08:01 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,081,417 times

Advertisements

https://www.thisisinsider.com/the-be...seum-of-art-25

Spoiler, the top 3 on this list are:

Spoiler
1. The Met
2. The Cleveland Museum of Art
3. The Art Institute of Chicago

I know these rankings don’t mean much, but it’s still cool to see the CMA get some much deserved recognition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2018, 10:47 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,279,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
https://www.thisisinsider.com/the-be...seum-of-art-25

Spoiler, the top 3 on this list are:

Spoiler
1. The Met
2. The Cleveland Museum of Art
3. The Art Institute of Chicago

I know these rankings don’t mean much, but it’s still cool to see the CMA get some much deserved recognition.

Wow!

The only problem is that list likely was written by a single person with not much expertise or knowledge.

E.g., Greenfield Village is equated with The Henry Ford. GV is just a part of THF, which is dominated by a huge museum which houses some of the artifacts described, as well as Rosa Parks' bus, which visitors can walk through, and much more. Only GV is an outdoor museum, yet largely composed of historic buildings, often homes of (once) famous Americans, which visitors walk through.

No Philadelphia Museum of Art? Ridiculous list. I've read the list at least four times not believing anyone would omit the Philadelphia Museum of Art from such a list.

None of the great Smithsonian history museums. Pathetic. Vizcaya Museum and Gardens and no Longwood Gardens???

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longwood_Gardens

Thinking about the DuPonts, what about Winterthur?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winter...en_and_Library

The National Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum ranked fifth? Likely visitors to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, especially foreigners and the growing number of Americans with little interest in baseball, likely would enjoy it more than the National Baseball HOF and Museum. What about the Pro Football HOF in Canton, let alone the Naismith Memorial Basketball HOF in Springfield, MA, which celebrates an international sport and has international inductees (Mirko Novosel anyone, likely a sports hero for some Clevelanders)?

What the list does say to me, however, is that likely the author visited the Cleveland Museum of Art and was duly impressed, and that the author was a major baseball fan!

Old 11-02-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Like the link, dislike the headline. The Cleveland Museum of Art, the Cleveland Orchestra, Blossom Music Center, Severance Hall, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, etc.

Old 11-02-2018, 12:33 PM

1,866 posts, read 1,410,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Like the link, dislike the headline. The Cleveland Museum of Art, the Cleveland Orchestra, Blossom Music Center, Severance Hall, the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, etc.
Elaborate. Why do you dislike the headline?

Old 11-02-2018, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Elaborate. Why do you dislike the headline?
"Looks Like Cleveland Can Have Nice Things" suggests that Cleveland doesn't have any nice things most of the time. All-star games are wonderful events to host, but they pale against what Cleveland offers on a daily basis IMO.

Fond of Minervah, however, so should have expressed myself much less bluntly. I'm in a foul C-D mood dealing with man-made climate change deniers.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:01 PM

11,044 posts, read 12,303,662 times
Quote:
"Looks Like Cleveland Can Have Nice Things" suggests that Cleveland doesn't have any nice things most of the time. All-star games are wonderful events to host, but they pale against what Cleveland offers on a daily basis IMO.

Fond of Minervah, however, so should have expressed myself much less bluntly. I'm in a foul C-D mood dealing with man-made climate change deniers.
Many CD users think the unquestionably nice things in mid sized cities dont count. For some reason or other. "Ugh the orchestra again! Nobody cares about the art museum!" Etc. Meanwhile, coastal cities get lauded for "culture."

Old 11-02-2018, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Many CD users think the unquestionably nice things in mid sized cities dont count. For some reason or other. "Ugh the orchestra again! Nobody cares about the art museum!" Etc. Meanwhile, coastal cities get lauded for "culture."
I'm certain that attitude is NOT what motivated Minervah's headline. She actually just gets annoyed with persons who dump on Cleveland!

Old 11-02-2018, 01:23 PM

11,044 posts, read 12,303,662 times
Quote:
I'm certain that attitude is NOT what motivated Minervah's headline. She actually just gets annoyed with persons who dump on Cleveland!
Oh no doubt, she gets it. I interpreted her post as contra the nay sayers. Just always interesting to see the cognitive dissonance on certain other forums.

Old 11-02-2018, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
Some nice things in the works for downtown and near-downtown: Pedestrian drawbridge, Progressive office opening up downtown, and playground at Edgewater.

https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2...st-harbor.html

https://realestate.cleveland.com/rea...owntown_c.html

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2018...ater-park.html
Am I nuts, or is this just a big waste of money? It's not that tough to walk around the Rock Hall if you want to go to Voinovich Bicentennial Park. I've done it several times. It's a fun walk always.

https://www.cleveland.com/cityhall/2...st-harbor.html

Would rather see the money go into a top-notch bridge across the railroad tracks.

Is this bridge a vital part of a bikeway to keep bikers away from pedestrians around the Rock Hall??? Isn't there a cheaper protected bike path solution perhaps with perhaps a limited must walk zone for bikers, where the path would cross pedestrian walkways?

Now that there is federal and state funding, it likely will be built as a novel plaything if nothing else.

Old 11-02-2018, 02:41 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,305,050 times
Okay, for those who didn’t get it. My comment was actually a quote used in a few posts around CD by a notorious Negative Nellie regarding Cleveland being unworthy of having anything good. My intention was simply to disprove the theory.

I guess I should have used quotation marks to make it more plain it was a quote and not a statement.

Last edited by Minervah; 11-02-2018 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Corrected my misunderstanding of a misunderstanding
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland