Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2015, 04:05 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,536,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama View Post
I think he's pointing out that SF is a mecca of hipters and wanna be hipsters.
Exactly my point. The OP might want to be getting AWAY from hipsters as well. Judging by your comment of "mountains of debt just trying to scrape by" I'm assuming that the main reason why you relocated to Cleveland area was due to affordability and not the lack of sunshine?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2015, 04:12 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,943,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
I forgot you were a mind reader and already know if the OP has concerns about hipsters and the like or if he doesn't.

Surely no one should be concerned about the types of people that may or may not be in a given area that they may or may not be relocating to......
Umm, you raised the hipster issue because people need to know what type of people are in Lakewood; in this case, hipsters.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
I provide facts about California weather and Cleveland weather and the experience of being in both places and I'm met with a laundry list from someone trying to impose their Cleveland values. What's with the sales pitch for Lakewood OH? (everything from waterfalls to hiking in the forest)

Yes, I have been in boats in Lake Erie in Summer.... my friend is a member of the boat club. He enjoys it for a whole 3 months out of the year.....

The bottom line is that if Cleveland was more desirable than Bay Area, then it would cost more to live in Cleveland than it does in the Bay Area. The OP is asking about relocating to Rocky River or Lakewood due to the cost being cheaper, and I'm providing an unbiased viewpoint of what weather is like in Cleveland and what to expect.

Unlike some on here, I didn't spend my time frequenting city-data Cleveland forums everyday when I lived there with an unhealthy need to use it as a coping mechanism as I try to convince myself that Cleveland is this magical place and that the skies aren't gray and that winters aren't cold. I'm such an "unfair Cleveland Critic" for pointing out the obvious... thanks for the laugh

I've lived in Cleveland area for 28 years and frequently travel there and provide unbiased opinions about the area. I've lived in C-bus as well as wayyyy down south for 5 years and now Cincy area. Next month I won't be able to experience cold Feb Ohio weather as I will be in Orange County, CA.... then Vegas, then FL, and then New Orleans but during that time I'm sure some Cleveland booster will try to paint a false picture in response to a query made about life in Cleveland during winter months.
Thanks for your unsolicited winter itinerary. Maybe all this travelling and sunshine will help you get over your Cleveland ''issue''. You're just upset that someone is considering a move to Cleveland and, for some reason, you have to try to derail it. Whether it's the weather or the hipster alert in Lakewood. I hope you really don't think that someone will move to Cleveland based on city-forum winter evaluations and feel betrayed in a cold and snowy Cleveland January. Anyone moving from California to most places in the U.S. can expect a major change in winter weather. Go up to Seattle; rainy, 30s-40s; NY, DC, Philly, Cincinnati, and especially Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:56 PM

372 posts, read 593,506 times
Quote:
Exactly my point. The OP might want to be getting AWAY from hipsters as well. Judging by your comment of "mountains of debt just trying to scrape by" I'm assuming that the main reason why you relocated to Cleveland area was due to affordability and not the lack of sunshine?
My husband got promoted out here, then promoted to Nashville, then we decided to take a lateral position to come back here. We moved back for all the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. The day to day life here is what we prefer....over Bay Are and Nashville.

Old 01-11-2015, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Thanks for your unsolicited winter itinerary. Maybe all this travelling and sunshine will help you get over your Cleveland ''issue''. You're just upset that someone is considering a move to Cleveland and, for some reason, you have to try to derail it. Whether it's the weather or the hipster alert in Lakewood. I hope you really don't think that someone will move to Cleveland based on city-forum winter evaluations and feel betrayed in a cold and snowy Cleveland January. Anyone moving from California to most places in the U.S. can expect a major change in winter weather. Go up to Seattle; rainy, 30s-40s; NY, DC, Philly, Cincinnati, and especially Boston, Chicago, Minneapolis.
Upset that someone is moving to Cleveland? That's funny! Why would that upset me? I have several friends and family that live there. Man you sound like a CLE city booster plain as day. I'm just providing some unbiased facts about the area based on my vast experience, so I'm not sure why you are taking such a defensive standpoint.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by citymama View Post
My husband got promoted out here, then promoted to Nashville, then we decided to take a lateral position to come back here. We moved back for all the reasons I mentioned in my previous post. The day to day life here is what we prefer....over Bay Are and Nashville.
Well I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Life is about doing what you prefer and what makes you happy. I have several friends and family members that prefer the Cleveland area as well. What I don't prefer is biased opinions from city homers (of any area, not just CLE) that try to paint a pretty picture on something without supplying the negatives. Not saying you are one of these types, just clarifying what I don't prefer.

Old 01-11-2015, 05:23 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,375,521 times
Quote:
Well I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Life is about doing what you prefer and what makes you happy. I have several friends and family members that prefer the Cleveland area as well. What I don't prefer is biased opinions from city homers (of any area, not just CLE) that try to paint a pretty picture on something without supplying the negatives. Not saying you are one of these types, just clarifying what I don't prefer.
FYI. To millions of people living in metro Cleveland, the positives far out weigh the negatives... What exactly are you expecting to hear from Clevelanders on a Cleveland forum?

Old 01-11-2015, 05:31 PM

16,393 posts, read 30,277,953 times
^^^

What the poster said on this board was pretty mild. On the Cincinnati board he is comparing the West Side Market with ... McDonald's.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:05 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,232,004 times
Trying not to stereotype Bay Area philosophies, politics, and lifestyle, but I think you'd be happier in Lakewood. More bang for the buck for the house, closer to downtown, schools are good, more diversity, a little more tolerant towards people of differing beliefs, backgrounds, and faiths. Rocky River (and its high school) does have a reputation also for being, uh, snooty and preppy and condescending. I like it, but it does have that reputation from many in Greater Cleveland. You may want to also maybe look at Bay Village, similar to Rocky River in many ways (good and bad), though not sure you could get as good a house for the money, despite Ohio's depressed market. And it's farther out.
Rocky River is a fine suburb too, but other than the school, not sure it's got more to offer as a community than Lakewood. I'd say not. I'd also venture to say that Lakewood is the most like the east side Cleveland's suburbs in mindset though it's on the West side. Best wishes and best of luck.

Last edited by kpl1228; 01-12-2015 at 08:13 AM..

Old 01-13-2015, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Upset that someone is moving to Cleveland? That's funny! Why would that upset me? I have several friends and family that live there. Man you sound like a CLE city booster plain as day. I'm just providing some unbiased facts about the area based on my vast experience, so I'm not sure why you are taking such a defensive standpoint.
First time I've heard a hipster alert for Lakewood and to warn someone coming from the Bay Area/San Francisco regarding it is ridiculous. Cleveland also gets tagged for having the worst winters, it doesn't. Try spending a winter in Minneapolis, a ''boom-town'' despite being in the frigid, snowy northern plains. Weather dominates the Cleveland discussion because most people have or now, had, an unfavorable opinion of the city of Cleveland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland