Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2015, 10:06 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
FYI - When OU had their MBA program (not the current online one), it was ranked higher than Miami of Ohio

Best Business Schools (MBA Program) Ranking in 2010 - US College Rankings
If the OU program is only online (I didn't check this), that doesn't bode well for its reputation or future rankings.

Neither OU or Miami currently are ranked in the U.S. News & World Report MBA rankings. Why do four-year-old rankings matter, especially when a program has been greatly degraded?

I believe USN&WR does rank online MBA programs separately, and they might be worth looking for if someone is interested exclusively in an online program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2015, 12:14 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
If the OU program is only online (I didn't check this), that doesn't bode well for its reputation or future rankings.

Neither OU or Miami currently are ranked in the U.S. News & World Report MBA rankings. Why do four-year-old rankings matter, especially when a program has been greatly degraded?

I believe USN&WR does rank online MBA programs separately, and they might be worth looking for if someone is interested exclusively in an online program.
I was simply showing you that their MBA program used to be ranked. It's not going to be on the U.S. News & World Report MBA rankings anymore because it's Online/Distance Learning now.

Previously, OU had an on-campus MBA program with exchange programs in a number of countries. You needed to interview, take the GMAT, have a minimum GPA, etc. Now -- much of that is gone or not even needed to qualify.

Old 01-08-2015, 04:13 PM

82 posts, read 79,139 times
Quote:
I was simply showing you that their MBA program used to be ranked. It's not going to be on the U.S. News & World Report MBA rankings anymore because it's Online/Distance Learning now.

Previously, OU had an on-campus MBA program with exchange programs in a number of countries. You needed to interview, take the GMAT, have a minimum GPA, etc. Now -- much of that is gone or not even needed to qualify.
This is incorrect. Ohio University does indeed have a full time MBA program that is on campus, they do require a GMAT and a minimum of a 3.0 undergrad GPA.

Old 01-09-2015, 07:51 AM

2,106 posts, read 6,629,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnoles1 View Post
This is incorrect. Ohio University does indeed have a full time MBA program that is on campus, they do require a GMAT and a minimum of a 3.0 undergrad GPA.
Last I heard, they were getting rid of it.

Something must have changed in the last year or two.

Old 01-09-2015, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Last I heard, they were getting rid of it.

Something must have changed in the last year or two.
It's no problem, they suspended the on campus program ( still had the hybrid Professional program and online program) in 2010, the full time on campus program just got jump started again in June of 2014.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:05 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice15 View Post
@Clevelander17 To call OU a suburban school is a stretch.
You may have misunderstood what I meant. Most of the people attending the school from the Cleveland area are from the suburbs.

Old 01-10-2015, 01:43 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,274,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tribecavsbrowns View Post
Nothing against any of the schools listed, but your statement that they're all better than OU is a lie.
Seconded.

My opinionated tiering of Ohio's state schools:

1) Ohio State...and by a large margin.

2) Miami University
2) Ohio University
2) University of Cincinnati

3) Kent State University
3) Bowling Green State University
3) The University of Toledo

4) The University of Akron
4) Cleveland State University
4) Youngstown State University
4) Wright State University

Of course this varies a bit depending on major, but this is a general, overall view of the state schools in Ohio. I think the 3rd and 4th tiers are up for debate, though IMO YSU and WSU are solidly at the bottom.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:08 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,424,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Seconded.

My opinionated tiering of Ohio's state schools:

1) Ohio State...and by a large margin.

2) Miami University
2) Ohio University
2) University of Cincinnati

3) Kent State University
3) Bowling Green State University
3) The University of Toledo

4) The University of Akron
4) Cleveland State University
4) Youngstown State University
4) Wright State University

Of course this varies a bit depending on major, but this is a general, overall view of the state schools in Ohio. I think the 3rd and 4th tiers are up for debate, though IMO YSU and WSU are solidly at the bottom.
It likely varies a lot by the majors. E.g., Cleveland State's city management and urban policy school is highest ranked of all Ohio public universities.

Best City Management and Urban Policy Programs | Top Public Affairs Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools

After Ohio State, Cincinnati has the only other Ohio public university with a ranked engineering program.

Best Engineering School Rankings | Engineering Program Rankings | US News

Cincinnati also has the top-ranked nursing program after Ohio State among state schools. Toledo is third at 99, and Kent, which I believe has the largest nursing program in the U.S., is fourth at 127.

Best Nursing Programs | Top Nursing Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools

Case Western is very highly ranked in many categories.

Old 01-10-2015, 05:27 PM

What I have been seeing during my research is that it is Case Western, Ohio State, then lumped together Ohio, Cincinnati, Miami, and then everyone else.

Old 01-12-2015, 08:54 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,978 times
many, many OU alums and legacies in NE Ohio. Similar to Miami U. When Miami plays OU at the MAC basketball tournament in Cleveland it's kind of a semi-big deal, with alumni parties representing both schools at nearby restaurants and watering holes. I'm a Miami grad and I get invites for this annually.
Both terrific "old-school" schools. Probably more important as an undergrad place, though many get Education and Business grad degrees from both schools. Terrific reputation for OU in Cleveland area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland