Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 09:55 AM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
Seconded.

My opinionated tiering of Ohio's state schools:

1) Ohio State...and by a large margin.

2) Miami University
2) Ohio University
2) University of Cincinnati

3) Kent State University
3) Bowling Green State University
3) The University of Toledo

4) The University of Akron
4) Cleveland State University
4) Youngstown State University
4) Wright State University

Of course this varies a bit depending on major, but this is a general, overall view of the state schools in Ohio. I think the 3rd and 4th tiers are up for debate, though IMO YSU and WSU are solidly at the bottom.
After teaching part-time there for years, I'd probably put Akron at a 3.5, or at least equal to Toledo (probably no Ohio school has changed more in the last decade) and WSU has improved tremendously (though still a tier 4). I also don't put OSU ahead of Miami, OU, and UC "by a large margin" though certainly they're ahead, particularly most of their grad programs. I'd put Miami and OU's undergrad education and business programs equal to OSU (at the undergrad level especially), and that's a lot of their enrollment. Maybe even UC's education. Very glad you didn't put KSU as a 2, as so many alums try to do (just cause it's a MAC school....) And I'd have BGSU over Kent as well (though I think you were putting them in tiers without order)
But yeah, your rankings are pretty good. I'd buy you a beer if I could. Well done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 09:02 PM

207 posts, read 338,767 times
Ranking of online MBAs
Online MBA Programs: Rankings of 2015's Best Schools

Old 01-18-2015, 09:05 AM

41 posts, read 73,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjnoles1 View Post
I am moving to Cleveland in June for work. At the same time I am looking to do my MBA and I was accepted in Ohio University MBA program. How is the perception of Ohio University in Ohio and specifically in Cleveland? I am not just referring to their MBA program specifically (opinions on this is welcome as well) but on Ohio University as an institution as a whole?
I went to OU. I live and work in Cleveland. OU has a great rep here. It doesn't get headlines for being ranked high in specific programs, but its a competitive school, academically.

No one group of alumni dominate Cleveland, like say Columbus. But a lot of Clevelanders go to OU. There are plenty of alumni in this city.

And in general, those alumni are outgoing, friendly and a lot of fun - one of the outcomes of going to a 'party school'. Not a bad base to network with from an MBA standpoint.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:32 AM

236 posts, read 695,434 times
It really doesn't matter after working for 5 years +. Unless you are really Ivy League, the rest is all clutter. Great. You went to college....what did you do when you were working?

Old 01-21-2015, 09:22 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blabber View Post
It really doesn't matter after working for 5 years +. Unless you are really Ivy League, the rest is all clutter. Great. You went to college....what did you do when you were working?
Skills matter more than pedigree, but pedigree with skills still matters. Major corporations often have favored recruiting grounds.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:27 AM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times
I put Miami's undergrad program ahead of OSU's despite USNews. It's more liberal arts oriented with the excellent Western Residential program... Miami has an Ivy League-ish reputation in the Midwest. OSU's rep is largely fueled by its Grad/research programs as well as big-time sports.

I find USNews' rankings largely bogus because schools admit they cheat: inflate admissions numbers to move up the list because USNews is largely admissions/stats driven.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:36 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,423,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I put Miami's undergrad program ahead of OSU's despite USNews. It's more liberal arts oriented with the excellent Western Residential program... Miami has an Ivy League-ish reputation in the Midwest. OSU's rep is largely fueled by its Grad/research programs as well as big-time sports.

I find USNews' rankings largely bogus because schools admit they cheat: inflate admissions numbers to move up the list because USNews is largely admissions/stats driven.
It depends upon the major. E.g., Miami has nothing like Ohio State's highly ranked veterinary and ag programs. A undergrad business degree from Ohio State is more respected with more robust programs.

It somewhat gets down to the debate about the relative value of a liberal arts education versus a "practical" education.

Don't underestimate the undergrad benefits of Ohio State's top research university status.

The mammoth Ohio State alumni network also has its benefits.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:36 AM

16,393 posts, read 30,267,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post

That has been my experience from my contacts in the Chicago area. Miami has an excellent reputation as an UNDERGRADUATE school. Class sizes are smaller than Ohio State and more classes are taught by professors rather than graduate students.

Everyone likes to think that going to "mega-universities" as an undergraduate is the way to go. Personally, I advise students to take the time to sit in a few classes to see if they really want to deal with classes where they are one of a thousand as opposed to one of thirty, where you MIGHT not see a tenured professor before your junior year, and the like.

I am sure that someone looking at an agricultural program as an undergraduate would not have Miamu University on their list.

Old 01-22-2015, 01:01 PM

1,796 posts, read 2,228,125 times
I loved Miami. And I wasn't a rich kid with a red convertible that went to Europe(!!!) on spring break as many of my classmates did. I was a working slightly older commuter student. But it worked its magic on me for sure. And I did the Upham Arch tradition (twice) and it worked (once).
Ohio University has the same kind of brick-and-ivy magic. I totally buy in. The kind of place with old professors in tweed jackets and glee clubs and pep rallies and old alma maters. Corny as all get out but as you get older it's embedded in your mind. And both campuses are absolutely stunning in the fall. And small enough to feel connected to it.
There's a reason why Cleveland alums of MU and OU still have organized get-togethers and alumni parties all over NE Ohio years later, while Cleveland State and BW struggle to get anyone to drive down the street to their similar get-togethers.
By comparison to MU and OU, I truly feel sorry for any kid hemorrhaging the same money on student loans to take classes online in their pajamas at the University of Phoenix. They are truly missing out, regardless of circumstance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland