Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2015, 12:25 AM

15 posts, read 35,728 times

Advertisements

I lived in a small city about 30 miles south of Cleveland for 5 months. I ended up moving back to New Jersey to take another job and to be closer to family. Ohio has a bad reputation, but I find myself missing it. I can't quite pinpoint the exact reasons. It's funny. The drivers in the NYC/NJ area are very aggressive. I was getting used to Ohio drivers. I guess I miss the slower pace, and the people were much more laid back. I miss all the little quaint villages. I love that small town America feeling. There were beautiful parks and green spaces. The cloudiness in winter can get depressing, but you can get beautiful clear days in the fall. The cost of living in NJ is quite alarming, coming from OH. I never thought I would be missing Ohio lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 09:43 AM

21,695 posts, read 28,369,203 times
As a newcomer to Ohio, I am curious about this "bad reputation." What is it? Not trying to start a war or anything, I would just like to know some negatives because I really haven't heard anything other than a few gripes about the weather.

Oh, and of course politics but then that could be said about any state depending upon who's doing the saying.

I like the good stuff you describe too.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:13 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,101,857 times
You know, the more newcomers to Cleveland, the more I'm finding that our own preconceptions about the region hold us back. The narrative about this region both locally and nationally has been so negative for so long, that long-term residents learn to see the city a certain way. Certain neighborhoods, the common knowledge goes, are going down-hill, like the rest of the region has. Newcomers "don't know any better", and that's a good thing. They see these areas for what they are, not how they're "supposed" to be seen.

Old 01-22-2015, 11:15 AM

869 posts, read 1,272,218 times
I miss Ohio as well :/ The "feel" and the four seasons.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:36 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,369,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
You know, the more newcomers to Cleveland, the more I'm finding that our own preconceptions about the region hold us back. The narrative about this region both locally and nationally has been so negative for so long, that long-term residents learn to see the city a certain way. Certain neighborhoods, the common knowledge goes, are going down-hill, like the rest of the region has. Newcomers "don't know any better", and that's a good thing. They see these areas for what they are, not how they're "supposed" to be seen.
Very well stated. I have to admit that is partly why I see the city from which I recently relocated with eyes that don't have the same stars the more recent transplants to that place do.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:10 PM

564 posts, read 1,036,248 times
Me too mlb8251. I'm not even from Cleveland. I lived there twice, the second time for three years. I came to North Carolina to earn a certificate and to be in a milder climate (coming originally from Miami). I have been here for going on 13 years but have yet to feel it's like home. I do one thing, be it start a new job or go to a new Meetup group or whatever, thinking "if I do this, maybe it will be better," but it's not. I may be moving back to Cleveland later in the summer myself.

You are so right. That whole Cleveland area has that small town America feel. It's no wonder they call it the Heartland of America. It truly is! The Metroparks, Lake Erie, Put-in-Bay in the summer, University Circle...the list goes on. Will you move back, mlb8251? What a drastic change to go to NYC/NJ, esp. the higher cost of living.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland