U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2015, 10:02 PM

5 posts, read 4,147 times

Advertisements

I've been commuting to Cleveland for almost a year now. Tired of the drive so now I'm thinking about making the plunge and moving. I really wont' even be living there full-time as I have a kid in high school (I'm a single parent) and I really can't have him change schools at this point (he's a junior). So this would be when he is at his dad's, when the roads are bad, or on weekends. For this reason, schools are really not an issue.

I work in University Circle but pretty much hate Cleveland Heights. My "real" home is about 2 hours south of Cleveland so would like to be below 480. I've heard a lot of people talk about Lakewood (not south of 480 obviously) but I really don't care for Lakewood. I do sort of like Shaker Heights...but I really think geographically it would work.

Found a couple of apartments that I do like, one in Parma and the other in Bedford Heights. I have never even THOUGHT about Parma but I accidentally sent this place an email, decided to check it out, and loved it. Keep in mind...I'm from a small-town. I've acclimated myself to Cleveland but still hate certain parts. Want to be west of I-77 and probably south of 480.

Thoughts about neighborhoods with apartments that are decent (don't want to spend Seven Hills prices...I'm thinking < 700 a month). As I stated above, I found places (owned by Owners Live I think: Regency Apartments in Parma or Rockside Park Towers in Bedford Heights), it was probably the fact that they are "high rise type" with an indoor pool. I know looks can be deceiving...which is why I'm on here asking the advise of perfect internet strangers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2015, 11:53 PM

41 posts, read 31,184 times
Bedford Heights is not a good neighborhood to choose. It's not necessarily "Unsafe" but it is one of those neighborhoods that are lower income and have a lot of lower class people. It's an inner city suburb.

But, Mayfield Heights is a good option. Mayfield Heights has tons of high end apartments with good rent, and Mayfield Heights is in a great area, because I-271 runs right through it.

Mayfield Heights has tons of great stores, restaurants, plazas, etc, and is an easy drive to University Circle, because all you would have to take is Mayfield Road.

Mayfield Heights is a safe suburb with a great diversity. Mayfield Heights has a large Italian, Russian, and Asian population mostly. It's safe, there's a lot to do, and Mayfield Heights is near a lot of other great cities like Solon, Orange, Beachwood, South Euclid, Lyndhurst, Cleveland Heights, Shaker Heights, etc.

Hope I helped.

Old 02-24-2015, 05:44 PM

4 posts, read 1,747 times
Our experience: We initially lived on the East side in Shaker Heights, OH. It seemed to be far from the highway and was not easy to access fast food restaurants or big box stores. It also seemed to border the wealthly homes (over $500K) and the poorer homes (under $20K) We were right in the middle of both. Property taxes are very high in Cuyahoga County and the City of Shaker Heights, OH. The city has strict home inspections and will create a violation list of items that must be repaired when you buy/sell a home. You are required to put 150% of the estimated repair cost into an escrow account until the repairs are completed.

We moved to the West side in Parma Heights, OH. We are in what I like to call a triangle of highways with easy access to 480, 77, 271 and 80 (OH Turnpike). We like being in the center of the highway access. We are also very close to the upcoming Shops of Parma (formerly Parma Town Mall), Walmart, Giant Eagle, Kohls, restaurants, the library, gas stations, the banks etc. They just built a new LA Fitness in Brooklyn, OH on Tiedeman, just 2 miles from us. There aren't wealthy homes or poor homes on this side of town. They are middle class homes in the $80 - $115K range. We decided to rent to avoid property taxes all together. With the overall cost of home repairs, maintenance and updates, it just isn't worth owning for us anymore. We are in our 50's with no childen living at home. We rent a small 2 bedroom apartment for $680.00 at Elayne Apartments. It is 780 sq. ft. We pay Electric about $35 and month and Gas $45 a month. Very nice and quiet complex with lots of parking and picnic tables. Laundry room in each building with 2 washers & dryers. Well maintained complex. Not many children here, or amenties for children. However, it is safe, nice and affordable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $99,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland