Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2015, 08:35 PM

207 posts, read 337,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
All very good points you made. As far as climate goes, I do prefer four seasons and love hot summers and cold winters. But honestly, I can handle any climate, as long as it's not Alaska or Florida, which are hot or cold ALL the time.

As for my career, I am not interested in public accounting. I prefer industry. I have been monitoring the job market in Cleveland now for a while, and I am pleased to say that there are PLENTY of job postings that are right up my alley. Even more than Columbus!
I read you were in non-public/preferred it, just thought I'd point it out.

I find Cleveland's four seasons beautiful. While the winters can be tiresome (Although, it is nice being able to, at the last minute, drive to NY or Pa to ski on the weekend). The other three make up for it.

Parts of Oklahoma can be rather barren.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2015, 08:39 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,871,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jprice15 View Post
I read you were in non-public/preferred it, just thought I'd point it out.

I find Cleveland's four seasons beautiful. While the winters can be tiresome (Although, it is nice being able to, at the last minute, drive to NY or Pa to ski on the weekend). The other three make up for it.

Parts of Oklahoma can be rather barren.
Well where would you rather live yourself...Ohio or Oklahoma?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:48 PM

207 posts, read 337,344 times
Quote:
Well where would you rather live yourself...Ohio or Oklahoma?
It's funny you should ask, my grandfather grew up in OK and much of his family is there still. Admittedly, I've never been there. His family migrated westward in the early 1800s from Virginia, some family remained in Ohio. My grandmother is a Yankee and was raised in New England. They lived in Connecticut while in graduate school. But to make a long story short, they ended up here in Cleveland. Where my parents lived, and I grew up. I'm a proud Clevelander (although, I guess I'm a mutt) and an advocate.

Last edited by jprice15; 02-21-2015 at 09:08 PM..

Old 02-21-2015, 09:54 PM

5,005 posts, read 5,614,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Cleveland has a better orchestra than the one in Philadelphia, but, in the past, the Philadelphia orchestra was considered one of the "Big Five." The Philadelphia Museum of Art is on a different level than even the Cleveland Museum of Art.

Timothy Rub resigned as director of the Cleveland Museum of Art to take the same position with the Philadelphia Museum of Art.

Nearby in Philadelphia's museum district is the renown Barnes Collection.

Just outside Philadelphia are Longwood Gardens and Winterthur, legacies of the DuPont family.

Philadelphia has several excellent universities, particularly Ivy League University of Pennsylvania.

Outside Trenton is Grounds for Sculpture. I'm not aware of anything like it in Ohio. Princeton is a culture center; McCarter Theatre there is mentioned in the same league as the Cleveland Play House.

As you mentioned, Philadelphia is a top history destination.

Also, keep in mind, day trips to NYC from Trenton are very easy.

And there is great Italian food in New Jersey. I could be very happy there.
Is there anything specific regarding that? I'm familiar with the fact that he left, but he could've just been more comfortable taking a similar position in a larger city, or as they say, the "fit" model just wasn't there. Seems like reading about it, CMA has had quite the cycle of directors recently. I wonder why that is?Frankly, the fact that there wasn't a collection of Ancient Art within the museum (at least according to the guide, the stuff that was there is now nearby at Penn) (which is actually one of my favorites, though I like the overall variety there), makes it better for me. I have seen lists of Top Ten or Top Five Art Museums in the US, and have seen several Cleveland is on the list, and Philadelphia isn't, which is even more shocking for me because I tend to think many in national media have inherent bias towards Cleveland and many smaller, non coastal cities. I believe that Cleveland's also has a larger endowment (3rd in the world, which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it can sometimes be used as a reference guide, as with colleges and universities), and a larger reading library, and I think GalleryOne and the phone app are supposed to be pretty unique. Cleveland's at least claims (but of course) to be among the Top 5, and I tend to think that with the new facility, the only ones that are definitely above it are the Chicago Institute of Art and The Met. Plus I like the fact that Cleveland's is free and "for the people". Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. Also, Cleveland has Oberlin and the Allen Museum, maybe not as renowned as some of the places you mentioned, but worthy of a trip nonetheless. Perhaps MOCA, which is already an impressive piece of architecture will become something that is the envy of many cities around, but so far, the reviews I have heard are mixed.

Not sure whether Winterthur or Longwood constitute art, but wow do they look impressive.

McCarter Theatre, sounds interesting. Like PlayHouse Square, or like the Cleveland Play House stage company?

Grounds for Sculpture looks impressive, UPenn/Princeton I'm guessing offer a lot of opportunities for the residents of the community, as well, and I also agree on trips to NYC being easy access and excellent Italian food as well. Though those things aren't right in Trenton (which would be preferable), and the OP already had somewhat easy access by rail to NYC in Fairfield County, which apparently wasn't that big of a plus to him LOL. And many of the amenities in both of those places come with much more of a price than they do in Cleveland.

I enjoyed hearing both of your thoughts. I definitely didn't intend to contradict either of any of your points just for the sake of doing so. I am just very proud of my hometown and where it's moved, and where it seems to be going, so I feel good in being an advocate, even when it smells of homerism.

Old 02-21-2015, 10:57 PM

So I ran through some extremely detailed calculations regarding wages and cost of living, if I live in the Cleveland area. My salary would likely be about 16% lower than it would be here in CT. However, OH income taxes are MUCH less than in CT, and of course, the cost of housing, and there's no motor vehicle property tax like there is in CT. CT also has unbelievably high property taxes.

My current salary here in Stamford, CT is $75K, so if I got a similar job in Cleveland, I'd be making about $63K. However, that's MORE than enough for me, a single person with no debt to live nicely in northeast OH. In fact, according to my calculations, I could even live comfortably off a salary as low as $55K and still have a nice house, etc.

I am also very pleased that the direct flights from CLE to BDL are only around $300 or less! The flights operate 6 times a week by Delta, and only lasts 90 minutes, which is amazing. With all the leftover savings I would have due to low cost of living, I should be able to visit my family about 4 times a year! I could fly out on a Fri night and come back home on Sunday, that way I wouldn't even have to use vacation days from work.

All excellent financial news for me.

I also spend a lot of time using Google street view all over the area and it only makes me more excited. Unfortunately, a lot of the street view imagery was captured during the fall, so it makes things look dead/cold, but there are many spots that were captured in summer and it looks beautiful and green and lush in the whole region. Based on what I see, it looks like the whole metro area has done a great job at integrating cities and towns with lots of natural and green space. The area is not that flat, either, which is good. I need a few hills here and there.

Sorry, I'm just even more excited now. I just crossed Tulsa off my list.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:23 AM

4,439 posts, read 5,506,560 times
Quote:
So I ran through some extremely detailed calculations regarding wages and cost of living, if I live in the Cleveland area. My salary would likely be about 16% lower than it would be here in CT. However, OH income taxes are MUCH less than in CT, and of course, the cost of housing, and there's no motor vehicle property tax like there is in CT. CT also has unbelievably high property taxes.

My current salary here in Stamford, CT is $75K, so if I got a similar job in Cleveland, I'd be making about $63K. However, that's MORE than enough for me, a single person with no debt to live nicely in northeast OH. In fact, according to my calculations, I could even live comfortably off a salary as low as $55K and still have a nice house, etc.

I am also very pleased that the direct flights from CLE to BDL are only around $300 or less! The flights operate 6 times a week by Delta, and only lasts 90 minutes, which is amazing. With all the leftover savings I would have due to low cost of living, I should be able to visit my family about 4 times a year! I could fly out on a Fri night and come back home on Sunday, that way I wouldn't even have to use vacation days from work.

All excellent financial news for me.

I also spend a lot of time using Google street view all over the area and it only makes me more excited. Unfortunately, a lot of the street view imagery was captured during the fall, so it makes things look dead/cold, but there are many spots that were captured in summer and it looks beautiful and green and lush in the whole region. Based on what I see, it looks like the whole metro area has done a great job at integrating cities and towns with lots of natural and green space. The area is not that flat, either, which is good. I need a few hills here and there.

Sorry, I'm just even more excited now. I just crossed Tulsa off my list.
So you're gonna move to Cleveland, then? (After you pay a visit, I presume.)

Of all the cities on your list, I think Cleveland is by far the best choice. I'm a big fan of Rust Belt cities myself, since they have so much to offer compared to the crowded, expensive Sunbelt and East Coast cities, where you pretty much have to be a millionaire to enjoy a decent middle-class lifestyle. Cleveland is one of those places where you can actually live the middle class lifestyle on a middle class income, just like it used to be in decades past across the USA.

I hope you'll posting about your experiences of the Cleveland area when you visit and / or move in May .

Old 02-22-2015, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
So you're gonna move to Cleveland, then? (After you pay a visit, I presume.)

Of all the cities on your list, I think Cleveland is by far the best choice. I'm a big fan of Rust Belt cities myself, since they have so much to offer compared to the crowded, expensive Sunbelt and East Coast cities, where you pretty much have to be a millionaire to enjoy a decent middle-class lifestyle. Cleveland is one of those places where you can actually live the middle class lifestyle on a middle class income, just like it used to be in decades past across the USA.

I hope you'll posting about your experiences of the Cleveland area when you visit and / or move in May .
Yup, Cleveland it is. Incumbent upon a visit, of course. And the visit must be appealing to me. I spent time looking on Craigslist at rentals and am very impressed with the wide array of housing options! Pricing is unbelievable!

Old 02-22-2015, 08:38 AM

Another thing I like is that one of my favorite politicians in the whole country is an Ohio senator.... Nina Turner!

Old 02-22-2015, 12:26 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,336,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
Is there anything specific regarding that? I'm familiar with the fact that he left, but he could've just been more comfortable taking a similar position in a larger city, or as they say, the "fit" model just wasn't there. Seems like reading about it, CMA has had quite the cycle of directors recently. I wonder why that is?Frankly, the fact that there wasn't a collection of Ancient Art within the museum (at least according to the guide, the stuff that was there is now nearby at Penn) (which is actually one of my favorites, though I like the overall variety there), makes it better for me. I have seen lists of Top Ten or Top Five Art Museums in the US, and have seen several Cleveland is on the list, and Philadelphia isn't, which is even more shocking for me because I tend to think many in national media have inherent bias towards Cleveland and many smaller, non coastal cities. I believe that Cleveland's also has a larger endowment (3rd in the world, which doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it can sometimes be used as a reference guide, as with colleges and universities), and a larger reading library, and I think GalleryOne and the phone app are supposed to be pretty unique. Cleveland's at least claims (but of course) to be among the Top 5, and I tend to think that with the new facility, the only ones that are definitely above it are the Chicago Institute of Art and The Met. Plus I like the fact that Cleveland's is free and "for the people". Different strokes for different folks, I suppose. Also, Cleveland has Oberlin and the Allen Museum, maybe not as renowned as some of the places you mentioned, but worthy of a trip nonetheless. Perhaps MOCA, which is already an impressive piece of architecture will become something that is the envy of many cities around, but so far, the reviews I have heard are mixed.

Not sure whether Winterthur or Longwood constitute art, but wow do they look impressive.

McCarter Theatre, sounds interesting. Like PlayHouse Square, or like the Cleveland Play House stage company?

Grounds for Sculpture looks impressive, UPenn/Princeton I'm guessing offer a lot of opportunities for the residents of the community, as well, and I also agree on trips to NYC being easy access and excellent Italian food as well. Though those things aren't right in Trenton (which would be preferable), and the OP already had somewhat easy access by rail to NYC in Fairfield County, which apparently wasn't that big of a plus to him LOL. And many of the amenities in both of those places come with much more of a price than they do in Cleveland.

I enjoyed hearing both of your thoughts. I definitely didn't intend to contradict either of any of your points just for the sake of doing so. I am just very proud of my hometown and where it's moved, and where it seems to be going, so I feel good in being an advocate, even when it smells of homerism.
Did you look at the Barnes Collection and the Rodin Museum? I personally don't think there is any doubt that the magnitude of the art collections in Greater Philadelphia is much higher than in Greater Cleveland. E.g., Cleveland is a relative desert in post-impressionist art.

I also don't think there is any doubt that Philadelphia Museum of Art is more highly regarded than the Cleveland Museum of Art, but I don't have the expertise to evaluate that difference.

The Cleveland Museum of Art is the 12th largest in the U.S. with the fourth largest endowment, according to the Plain Dealer.

After triumph and trauma, the Cleveland Museum of Art seeks committed, long-term leadership: CMA 2014 | cleveland.com

Endowments are deceptive when evaluating museums, however. First, many of the world's great museums, such as our Smithsonian museums, are state-supported. Also, it is difficult to close any gaps in collection quality, both due to acquisition expense and the fact that few exceptional works ever come to auction. E.g., if the Cleveland Museum of Art spent its entire endowment on post-Impressionist art, I doubt if it could much dent Philadelphia's advantage in that genre.

We can't complain about that reality, because Cleveland amassed much of its most noted collections at opportune times when its patrons or the museum had relatively meaningful acquisition budgets, and expertise, such as when Sherman Lee roamed Asia after WWII well spending Leonard Hanna's mammoth bequest.

The Cleveland Museum of Art's transformation required the biggest cash infusion since 1958 Hanna bequest: CMA 2014 | cleveland.com

While I share your enthusiasm for Cleveland's free general admission policy, it likely has diverted hundreds of millions from acquisition funding.

Actual gallery space at the Cleveland Museum of Art is now 134 thousand square feet. Philadelphia's renovation and expansion alone will expand exhibition space by 169 thousand square feet.

The Cleveland Museum of Art's redesign emphasizes cultural diversity: CMA 2014 | cleveland.com

Philadelphia Museum of Art - Information : Press Room : Press Releases : 2014

Anyway, the original point was to compare the cultural scene in Philadelphia with that in Cleveland. Philadelphia clearly is one of the handful of U.S. cities that surpass Cleveland, and it should be in the conversation as the second best cultural destination in the U.S. after NYC.

Museums & Attractions in Philadelphia

The Architecture of Art

Longwood Gardens and Winterthur clearly are cultural institutions, and Winterthur is the foremost museum of American decorative arts.

See McCarter Theater here:

McCarter Theatre, Princeton, NJ - Best US Theatres

Old 02-22-2015, 12:57 PM

I'm a little concerned about the quality/quantity of the gay community. Just by looking at profile pictures on the internet, it looks like 90% of the guys in Cleveland metro are either old, fat or ugly. Not to mention the size of the gay population is like 50% of that of Columbus. However, I think Columbus has too many gays lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland