Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2015, 05:39 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,852,171 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
Aren't they just the worst?!
Well, as a single atheist with no kids, yes lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2015, 06:01 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,604,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Min-Chi-Cbus View Post
I wouldn't play the crime angle as an argument for Cleveland. Cleveland needs to clean up its streets, pronto.
Have you been in Cleveland recently? I'm not talking East 93rd. Talking downtown/places people go. Cleveland has many places within it's city limits (including downtown, and moreso Ohio City and UC now that feel very safe compared to many cities, at least IMO.

I'm not saying I disagree that Cleveland should hope to improve. I'm just saying the fact that the center city of Trenton is that bad is cause for concern, at least IMO.

OP. Not quite sure what to tell you then. Check out Willoughby, Chagrin Falls and Lakewood I suppose. I think you'll have to see for yourself though , and mind the commute too . It's gonna be way to tough for me to decide what the "goldilocks/right balance" factor is gonna be for you, because, none of us is you.

I do feel though that those three cities though, in addition to Peninsula on the South Side in the heart of CVNP, are gonna offer the most hiking opportunities by far. Also check out Concord/Kirtland near Holden Arboretum/Girdled Road Reservation that are renowned/beautiful hiking spots.

Virginia Kendall Ledges (CVNP) and Rocky River Reservation and Hell's Hollow and Chapin Forest are all very impressive too. Within the city, Lakeview Cemetery is way underrated and a national treasure. May be the prettiest cemetery of the garden variety out there

Also note that while the East Side within the city is a little rough in patches, none of those places I mentioned outside the city are remotely so. In fact they are probably all among the safest cities in the country for their population size , also among the more educated .

Check out Squires Castle at North Chagrin Reservation as well, another beautiful
Place. The Cleveland area's metroparks system is frequently ranked among the top 5 in North America .

Last edited by theurbanfiles; 02-20-2015 at 06:13 AM..

Old 02-20-2015, 07:53 AM

I have another dumb question.

As you know, the home values/prices in the Cleveland area are very affordable. However, the population has been decreasing, although stabilizing. But at the same time, the city is "booming" and all that. So, what then, is the trend in property values? Are they stagnant, declining or rising? In other words, is Cleveland property a good investment these days? Over the long term/future?

Old 02-20-2015, 08:11 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,604,644 times
There are no dumb questions. I have limited real estate experience though, so my advice may not be the most reliable. "Cleveland", in general, as a place for real estate investment, is so, so, so big, that it is really hard to tell you any general conclusions about the region. I would say that there are certain places like Bedford, Euclid, Parma Hts., etc., where real estate prices have fallen significantly, I believe. There's a second group of places, that are still very intact suburbs, Shaker Heights, Beachwood, Willoughby, Westlake etc., where I'm assuming it has remained just about constant, though prices fell everywhere after 2008. Then there's a third group of places, which have been growing along with the rise of the "urban living" movement. Parts of Lakewood, Gordon Square, Ohio City, Tremont, Downtown, and Little Italy have all seen a sharp rise in income levels/home value.

As far as whether it's a good investment in the long term future? Who knows. I think there's potential to be optimistic, to be sure. But I don't think anyone in Seattle thought it would have the tech boom it did, or people in South Boston in the 1960's had any reason to believe that Hahvahd/MIT, etc. would cause a real estate boom there, that caused their houses to become hot property. If you want proof it's difficult to project, just look at Williston, North Dakota, where even after many places in the Orlando and Tampa areas have started to return back to pre-recession levels, the home values there are still less than a third of many in ND.

I tend to think Cleveland is trending upwards. Is it possible all sectors will continue to grow and Cleveland will lure a Fortune 500 company with business friendly/forward thinking policies that seem to be taking shape, plus an attractive waterfront location? Quite possibly.

But, is it possible too that Key Bank and Sherwin Williams could be bought out by competitors, and that Cleveland Clinic could be completely mismanaged and lose it's global edge? Also yes.

The odds are it won't be quite as good as the first or quite as bad as the scenario, but you never really can tell.

Old 02-20-2015, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
There are no dumb questions. I have limited real estate experience though, so my advice may not be the most reliable. "Cleveland", in general, as a place for real estate investment, is so, so, so big, that it is really hard to tell you any general conclusions about the region. I would say that there are certain places like Bedford, Euclid, Parma Hts., etc., where real estate prices have fallen significantly, I believe. There's a second group of places, that are still very intact suburbs, Shaker Heights, Beachwood, Willoughby, Westlake etc., where I'm assuming it has remained just about constant, though prices fell everywhere after 2008. Then there's a third group of places, which have been growing along with the rise of the "urban living" movement. Parts of Lakewood, Gordon Square, Ohio City, Tremont, Downtown, and Little Italy have all seen a sharp rise in income levels/home value.

As far as whether it's a good investment in the long term future? Who knows. I think there's potential to be optimistic, to be sure. But I don't think anyone in Seattle thought it would have the tech boom it did, or people in South Boston in the 1960's had any reason to believe that Hahvahd/MIT, etc. would cause a real estate boom there, that caused their houses to become hot property. If you want proof it's difficult to project, just look at Williston, North Dakota, where even after many places in the Orlando and Tampa areas have started to return back to pre-recession levels, the home values there are still less than a third of many in ND.

I tend to think Cleveland is trending upwards. Is it possible all sectors will continue to grow and Cleveland will lure a Fortune 500 company with business friendly/forward thinking policies that seem to be taking shape, plus an attractive waterfront location? Quite possibly.

But, is it possible too that Key Bank and Sherwin Williams could be bought out by competitors, and that Cleveland Clinic could be completely mismanaged and lose it's global edge? Also yes.

The odds are it won't be quite as good as the first or quite as bad as the scenario, but you never really can tell.
Yeah I guess it doesn't matter wherever you are, as far as housing goes. No one has a crystal ball, ever. But at least I would think it's safe to say that the property values can't get much lower than they are now!

Old 02-20-2015, 08:38 PM

I have narrowed my list of choices of places to relocate to, down to the following four metro areas:

Cleveland
Tulsa
Trenton
Greeley

Old 02-20-2015, 11:00 PM

417 posts, read 590,869 times
I just moved to Columbus and I have lived in Cleveland. Columbus isn't any warmer than Cleveland. The problem with Columbus is they can't handle precipitation. I am not sure why because it is still a midwestern city. They put on their hazard lights in the rain. There is also a ton of cheap construction in Columbus and the apartments are also cheap and expensive. Cleveland has much nicer apartments and homes for what you get. Columbus does have alot more young people and they don't take care of anything. They buy a house, ruin it, and then try to offload it. Cleveland has so many more amenities but you have to look for it and the lake is beautiful!!

Old 02-21-2015, 12:40 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,316,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post

Check out Squires Castle at North Chagrin Reservation as well, another beautiful
Place. The Cleveland area's metroparks system is frequently ranked among the top 5 in North America .
Except for young kids on the loose, I've never understood the attraction of Squire's Castle.

Stan Hywet Hall in Akron likely is the closest thing to a public castle in the Western Reserve.

Old 02-21-2015, 12:47 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,316,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I have narrowed my list of choices of places to relocate to, down to the following four metro areas:

Cleveland
Tulsa
Trenton
Greeley
Cleveland dwarfs the other three in cultural amenities, unless you include Princeton and Greater Philadelphia attractions as part of Trenton.

Hope you enjoy extreme heat and tornadoes if you choose Tulsa.

Old 02-21-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Cleveland dwarfs the other three in cultural amenities, unless you include Princeton and Greater Philadelphia attractions as part of Trenton.

Hope you enjoy extreme heat and tornadoes if you choose Tulsa.
Yeah but Tulsa just seems to have beautiful scenery and a laid back atmosphere. I think the climate would be more desirable than Cleveland, but not sure.

Maybe I should start a thread on Cleveland vs. Tulsa in the city-vs.-city thread and see what everyone says.

I mean, I've never ben to Cleveland metro before, but I'm just worried if it's too big and bustling for me, kind of like Long Island, anywhere in the BosWash corridor or Chicago or something. And worried that the scenery isn't as pretty as Tulsa, which is on the foothills of the beautiful Ozarks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland