Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2015, 09:47 PM

60 posts, read 101,635 times

Advertisements

I just moved here a month ago And one of my favorite things about this city is the truly beautiful old houses some of them are really vintage and cool they also have a lot of abandon ones that just need the right owner to care and love them and bring them back to there former glory some of them are to far gone and I talked to locals and I have got varied response some say to save them and mothball them some say tear there them down WHICH I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH honestly I'm 22 and when I get to the level where I can purchase my own house I would rather restore one of the old houses then to buy a new one because I think it would be cool to build something up with your hands and put the work in so it can truly be yours not only for my own personal satisfaction but also to help the housing problem but that being said I know I love Cleveland Ohio and I think its great I know the rest of the country doesn't feel that way and other then me and a few others nobody is ready to pack there bags and start a new life in Cleveland so alot of the house's will remain empty but I know Cleveland is on the rebound and sometime soon will return to its former glory not everybody else does what do yall think Cleveland should do with the abandon housing problems

Last edited by cleveland mitchell; 02-17-2015 at 09:49 PM.. Reason: misspelled word
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2015, 06:50 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,828,808 times
Didn't you move to East Cleveland? EC "coming back" is either A) never going to happen or B) going to be so long from now that anything you try to do now to prepare for it is going to be pretty much worthless.

If the city can find the money, they should tear down the bad ones.

Edit: Realize that how you feel now as a single 22 year old, is not necessarily how you will feel as a 31 year old with kids. Realize that it entails putting your kids in EC schools or paying thousands and thousands for private schools, and then tell me you want to restore an old house in EC instead of move somewhere else.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:01 AM

5,005 posts, read 5,614,473 times
I don't think there are any easy answers here. I think there's a general consensus that blight/abandoned houses are having a net negative impact on the community. I guess this is why we need bright minds like yourself to develop solutions for this. I don't think bulldozing them is necessarily the answer, but it could be if something productive was put up in it's place.

It's impossible to predict the future, and I don't know how true this could be, but I've heard people say local agriculture, particularly in urban areas, is the future. If Cleveland could somehow become a hub for urban agriculture innovation, it wouldn't be so bad to tear them down.

But, on the other side of the coin, what you might not be aware of since you just moved, is that there are places like Ohio City, Gordon Square, and Tremont on the West Side that are all popular to hang out and live in. Partially because many like you, enjoy living in the older neighborhoods and older style houses, and being close to everything. If they had just torn those down, the area around Tremont or Ohio City/West Side Market wouldn't be nearly as awesome as it is now. OTOH, another piece of history, that I'm not completely certain on accuracy, but I believe much of the land that the Cleveland Clinic is on now was formerly a very, very bad neighborhood, and now that whole area feels safe and has arguably the best hospital in the country on the space that they tore down. So, to the OP, I feel like it could go both ways.

Do some of those east side neighborhoods have a chance of being revitalized, and that old housing becoming popular again? Possibly, though, it's in worse condition, as you mentioned than the West Side before it made it's recent comeback. I do think there are some that are beyond repair, but how should that land be most productively used though?

L2DB, I'm not positive, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the OP mentioned living downtown, specifically in the Warehouse District, which also had a lot of old buildings refurbished into nice apartments.

Old 02-18-2015, 10:57 AM

63 posts, read 83,018 times
Cleveland Mitchell,the city of Cleveland needs thousands more with your positive mindset.I've never seen a transplant;or native Clevelander,so high on Cleveland!That's what Cleveland so despartly needs...young people like yourself! Spread the word Ambassador Mitchell!! You are,in my opinion,the new "Ambassador of Cleveland".

Old 02-18-2015, 11:18 AM

Agreed!

I volunteer to be the city's expat/Florida ambassador! (At least for now) Haha

Old 02-18-2015, 11:24 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,828,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
L2DB, I'm not positive, and he can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the OP mentioned living downtown, specifically in the Warehouse District, which also had a lot of old buildings refurbished into nice apartments.
Yeah, I don't remember 100%. That area is definitely more "hard to say what to do" than EC.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:26 AM

593 posts, read 663,983 times
I feel the same as you, i think re-habing a old house would be awesome. The problem is, most all of them have all the copper stripped. Now besides fixing up cosmetic stuff, you are getting into plumbing, electric, ect. None of this work is at all cheap and you will likely find yourself in over your head. On top of that you likely have water damage which causes mold. Now your dumping a ton more money then you wanted to spend into making it livable and you haven't even started fixing it up cosmetically. Even if you push through and do everything, at the end of the road you still only have the nicest house in the ghetto (East Cleveland) Enjoy the neighborhood, gun shots and all.

If i were you, i would still consider re-habing a house, but maybe pick a different area. Do you research before you buy, because your budget will likely be wayyyyyyyy stretched at best if you don't.

Old 02-18-2015, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
Yeah, I don't remember 100%. That area is definitely more "hard to say what to do" than EC.
That's what I'm thinking. An interesting strip with that dilemma, the still somewhat downtrodden section of the East Bank that's still there , just south of where the New East Bank is going in .

Old 02-18-2015, 05:41 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,029,198 times
Cleveland has about 10,000 "houses" that need to be demolished. As counter-intuitive as it seems, tearing down these structures actually improves the neighborhood and opens the door to continued maintenance of the surrounding housing stock. When you wander around Cleveland and East Cleveland and see these abandoned structures, you probably wonder how it happened. It occurred for financial reasons, people sold out to protect their investments, they weren't looking at the house as you are, the owners were looking at their bank account and the surrounding neighborhood over time. What they paid for the house, and how much it was going to be worth in 10 years.

Keep in mind, a lot these houses have been stripped of anything valuable and have had leaking roofs, basements, etc for quite some time. We're not trying to save houses, we're trying to save neighborhoods.

Old 02-18-2015, 05:45 PM

41 posts, read 55,964 times
For starters, tearing them down isn't helping anything. I think that a new city fund should be created to flip and sell all abandoned houses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland