Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 03:27 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,944,080 times

Advertisements

Is it true that the Midwest is more mundane and boring than the coasts? I have no idea, since I've only lived on the coast my entire life.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:14 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Is it true that the Midwest is more mundane and boring than the coasts? I have no idea, since I've only lived on the coast my entire life.

I wouldn't think that for a second - just look at Chicago.

I'd not pay much attention to what your friends are saying - they're the ones that moved to "cool" places (and yes, I have to admit I was one of them, back in the day), but they're also paying the price for living in those places - which you're obviously trying to get away from. And remember, this move is about you, not them.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:24 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,230 times
We have the same deal here. I mention CLE and people begin to wilt into the ground. Yes, the winter would be difficult. It's 74 today and on most winter days, I can take a walk or bike ride with shorts on.

That said....

I seem to work at 87K per year and never have a dollar at the end of the month. I do not eat at nice places, I do not have nice cars (I have cars that run), etc. My cousins live in Solon and have nice things. They go on vacation every summer and do not come back in debt.

People in SB are GREAT! The year I was in the Dayton area, I heard MANY negative comments about Hispanics (why do they jump on cars? Aren't you glad to be away from the Mexicans?) This floored me! Some of the best people I know come from Mexico or are Hispanic. My cousin from Solon, however, was surprised and said that this was not how most people are near her. I laughed at these people because I figured they were ignorant and less intelligent than my buddies here in CA.

Wherever you go, you will have this attitude. Most of the time, it's closed mindedness or a lack of education IMO. I rarely meet a graduate of college that is a racist. I do meet snobs or people that feel they "own the place" because they have a big car or home. However, their attitude does not effect my home or family so I do not let that stuff get to me. I used to, until a smart friend noted, "Who cares if they have attitude? It does not change your love of what you do, your paycheck, your kids, your home, etc. Feel sorry for them and move on."

Stereotypes of Ohio will continue. I'd rather take advantage of the beauty, cost of living, activities, etc. I'd like to have family visit and upon their departure say, "Told you so."

Old 03-04-2015, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
I wouldn't think that for a second - just look at Chicago.

I'd not pay much attention to what your friends are saying - they're the ones that moved to "cool" places (and yes, I have to admit I was one of them, back in the day), but they're also paying the price for living in those places - which you're obviously trying to get away from. And remember, this move is about you, not them.
Yeah that's true. One of my friends is also 30 (my age) and he just moved to Washington DC. He's paying like $1,500 a month for a tiny studio. I don't know....do some people just not care about home ownership? Am I placing too much emphasis on it maybe? Quite frankly, I have been renting apartments for 9 years now and hate it with a passion. I just can't handle hearing the noises through the walls and ceilings, let alone my neighbors hearing me. No privacy whatsoever. But if I followed the footsteps of my friend and moved to Washington DC, I would be miserable...I know it. The high cost of living, the traffic, the elitist people....UGH!

Do you think I am too young for wanting to settle down and buy a house by the time I am 32 years old?

Old 03-04-2015, 05:40 PM

416 posts, read 701,192 times
Quote:
So, over the past couple of weeks, I revealed to a few friends of mine that I will be visiting the Cleveland area in a few weeks to check it out to see if I want to commit to living there or not. Unfortunately, their reactions and quotes were along the lines of the following:

"Cleveland....Ohio......really??"

"Well, sure you can afford a house in Ohio, but you do realize that you have to live in....Ohio, right?"

"Nobody actually likes living in Ohio."

"It's cheap for a reason."

"Ohio?!?!"

"Cleveland? There's nothing there.....what's there?!"

"Seriously???"

Mind you, almost all of these quotes were said by my friends who currently live in SoCal, Florida and a few here in Connecticut. So, is this type of sentiment and reaction something that I'm going to have to live with, if I do indeed move to Cleveland/Ohio? Should I reconsider or be concerned my decision? Do current residents of Ohio encounter this kind of thing on a regular basis?

What is your opinion about this matter and how should I approach it? It's just kind of a downer when your friends aren't supportive of your place of choice to relocate to, you know? Likewise, I would never want to live in their places of choice. I mean, SoCal is ridiculously expensive. I feel like they're living there just so they can say they live in California. But I don't know...
Again, you're from Connecticut. It is not thought of highly when it comes to places like California, Florida, or even Washington state. I saw people in the other thread were catching on to you antics. If you were truly interested in the place you wouldn't put it down like you do. I would be more than willing to help you with information, but I just look back to how you spoke of Ohio before and things just don't add up. I think you have a serious issue with Ohio, especially when you create threads like this. Just a few months ago you were putting the place down based off driving through or Google Street view. There is wanting to know about an area, and then there is using undertones to act interested, but it's your way of saying Ohio is not what you want out of a place. Most of those quotes you claim came from other people are mostly your own.

We get it, you look down on Cleveland just like I just use Connecticut to get to Massachusetts.

Old 03-04-2015, 05:43 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,230 times
Dude, I bought my first home at 26! Since then, I have bought and sold 4x! Each time, I take the equity and move up a bit. The last time....I sold and paid cash in a less expensive area, but a good one. I'm 45 and have no payments, minus about $800 per month in prop. tax. Here, equity is a way to build wealth if you hit it right. You get the interest write off for your taxes and your credit rating goes up due to ownership (I think). You get freedom to change and improve things.
My dad always said, "Get the worst home in the best possible neighborhood, or one that is unique and slowly do things to make it worth more. " He was smart that way and lived WAY below his means.

I can retire at 62 and get 7400 for life per month or.... rent my home for 3500 and get 3500 per month and retire at 55. I'll take the 55 year old deal. I'm too high strung to make it to 62. LOL

Old 03-04-2015, 05:44 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,187 times
Quote:
Yeah that's true. One of my friends is also 30 (my age) and he just moved to Washington DC. He's paying like $1,500 a month for a tiny studio. I don't know....do some people just not care about home ownership? Am I placing too much emphasis on it maybe? Quite frankly, I have been renting apartments for 9 years now and hate it with a passion. I just can't handle hearing the noises through the walls and ceilings, let alone my neighbors hearing me. No privacy whatsoever. But if I followed the footsteps of my friend and moved to Washington DC, I would be miserable...I know it. The high cost of living, the traffic, the elitist people....UGH!

Do you think I am too young for wanting to settle down and buy a house by the time I am 32 years old?
Of course not. I bought my first house in my mid 20's...lol. I agree with you, apartments suck. If you want a home of your own, you're on the right track by moving to a place like Cleveland.

Old 03-04-2015, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMahValley View Post
Again, you're from Connecticut. It is not thought of highly when it comes to places like California, Florida, or even Washington state. I saw people in the other thread were catching on to you antics. If you were truly interested in the place you wouldn't put it down like you do. I would be more than willing to help you with information, but I just look back to how you spoke of Ohio before and things just don't add up. I think you have a serious issue with Ohio, especially when you create threads like this. Just a few months ago you were putting the place down based off driving through or Google Street view. There is wanting to know about an area, and then there is using undertones to act interested, but it's your way of saying Ohio is not what you want out of a place. Most of those quotes you claim came from other people are mostly your own.

We get it, you look down on Cleveland just like I just use Connecticut to get to Massachusetts.
No, I don't look down on Cleveland. I'm actually planning to take time off from work to visit the area in a few weeks. Because I'm serious.

So what if I looked around on street view and had a few concerns based on what I saw? It is perfectly normal for a person to consider the good with the bad before committing to moving somewhere. Not sure why this concept is hard for you to grasp.

And yes, those quotes ARE things that my friends actually said. And yes, they were from SoCal, Florida or CT. And yes, most CT people do think Ohio is just a big boring farm with hicks (even though it's not). Obviously, I know that's not the case because (a) I've been all over OH and (b) I'm actually considering moving there. People on the coasts are very ignorant or unaware of middle America. I'm on YOUR side, not THEIRS. I hope you see that.

I am NOT trying to put down Ohio in any way shape or form, just because I brought up a few concerns here and there. I am not one of those people who only considers the good things about a place, with rose colored glasses. That's stupid and leads to regret. So, either we have an honest conversation about the good and bad of Ohio and Cleveland, or we can pretend that everything is wonderful.

Every single place has good and bad. And these forums allow people to inquire about the good and bad about any given place. Telling people on here to be silent with regard to the bad things about a place isn't going to help forum users gain a more accurate understanding of a place.

Old 03-04-2015, 07:11 PM

372 posts, read 593,412 times
Quote:
No, I don't look down on Cleveland. I'm actually planning to take time off from work to visit the area in a few weeks. Because I'm serious.

So what if I looked around on street view and had a few concerns based on what I saw? It is perfectly normal for a person to consider the good with the bad before committing to moving somewhere. Not sure why this concept is hard for you to grasp.

And yes, those quotes ARE things that my friends actually said. And yes, they were from SoCal, Florida or CT. And yes, most CT people do think Ohio is just a big boring farm with hicks (even though it's not). Obviously, I know that's not the case because (a) I've been all over OH and (b) I'm actually considering moving there. People on the coasts are very ignorant or unaware of middle America. I'm on YOUR side, not THEIRS. I hope you see that.

I am NOT trying to put down Ohio in any way shape or form, just because I brought up a few concerns here and there. I am not one of those people who only considers the good things about a place, with rose colored glasses. That's stupid and leads to regret. So, either we have an honest conversation about the good and bad of Ohio and Cleveland, or we can pretend that everything is wonderful.

Every single place has good and bad. And these forums allow people to inquire about the good and bad about any given place. Telling people on here to be silent with regard to the bad things about a place isn't going to help forum users gain a more accurate understanding of a place.
You're fine. I get how you are processing the potential move. I'm the same way. I want as much info as possible and will ask a billion what if questions. Don't worry about the frustrations of some of the previous posters.

Old 03-04-2015, 08:21 PM

69 posts, read 114,421 times
I'm from NY state and lived in the city a decade. I love Cleveland and would move there too if I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland