Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2015, 11:44 AM

11,669 posts, read 17,848,779 times

Advertisements

So, over the past couple of weeks, I revealed to a few friends of mine that I will be visiting the Cleveland area in a few weeks to check it out to see if I want to commit to living there or not. Unfortunately, their reactions and quotes were along the lines of the following:

"Cleveland....Ohio......really??"

"Well, sure you can afford a house in Ohio, but you do realize that you have to live in....Ohio, right?"

"Nobody actually likes living in Ohio."

"It's cheap for a reason."

"Ohio?!?!"

"Cleveland? There's nothing there.....what's there?!"

"Seriously???"

Mind you, almost all of these quotes were said by my friends who currently live in SoCal, Florida and a few here in Connecticut. So, is this type of sentiment and reaction something that I'm going to have to live with, if I do indeed move to Cleveland/Ohio? Should I reconsider or be concerned my decision? Do current residents of Ohio encounter this kind of thing on a regular basis?

What is your opinion about this matter and how should I approach it? It's just kind of a downer when your friends aren't supportive of your place of choice to relocate to, you know? Likewise, I would never want to live in their places of choice. I mean, SoCal is ridiculously expensive. I feel like they're living there just so they can say they live in California. But I don't know...

Old 03-04-2015, 11:46 AM

35,095 posts, read 51,010,021 times
I have no opinion in regards to you living in Cleveland or anywhere since it is your choice.

As far as how you should approach it, what do you want to approach specifically?
If it is your friends opinions why not tell them it is your life, your choice and their opinion really doesn't matter what they think.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:01 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,826,663 times
This is about your friends. Not Cleveland.

Move to non-romantic relationships forum, IMO.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:54 PM

133 posts, read 191,197 times
Yes, it's something we just live with. But the reactions from CT, SoCal, FL people would likely be the same for any place in the Midwest

Old 03-04-2015, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
This is about your friends. Not Cleveland.

Move to non-romantic relationships forum, IMO.
No, it is absolutely about Cleveland. I specifically asked if Ohio residents encounter similar reactions to people who express certain opinions on those who are interested in living in Ohio or Cleveland.

Old 03-04-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPH2 View Post
Yes, it's something we just live with. But the reactions from CT, SoCal, FL people would likely be the same for any place in the Midwest
True. I believe they would have the same reactions if I had announced to them that I was moving to Indianapolis or Milwaukee or Columbus even.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:10 PM

372 posts, read 589,912 times
We've all been there. We moved from SF Bay Area to Cleveland, to Nashville, and back to Cleveland. All by choice thinking Cleveland was the best fit for our family. We had a lot more visitors when we lived in Nashville, than here. I always say that the day to day living is something you can't really experience in a short visit and that is what we've always preferred about Cleveland over the other cities.

We also like the underdogs and doing things a little different from others.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
No, it is absolutely about Cleveland. I specifically asked if Ohio residents encounter similar reactions to people who express certain opinions on those who are interested in living in Ohio or Cleveland.
So a critical factor in whether you move to Cleveland or not is whether you're going to get hassled for it?

Hmmm... I suppose this is worth a try, then.

What's that nep321? You don't want to give me all your money? Really? LOL. Not giving me all your money is soooooo dumb. All the cool kids are giving me all their money. You should totally give me all your money so you can be cool too.

PM for paypal address.

Old 03-04-2015, 01:32 PM

Alternatively you could looking through some other threads in this forum, like, I don't know, this one on the very front page.

Why do alot of local Clevelanders hate Cleveland Ohio

Old 03-04-2015, 02:23 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,406,934 times
There's a form of self-deception common on either coast which associates anywhere in the Midwest as boring or mundane. As if everywhere on the east coast where Manhattan. This isn't really news.

Let's be honest, why would you let people living in suburban CT criticize where you move? They're just a bit put off by the fact that everywhere in the US isn't some WASPy alcove.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland