Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 12:50 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,358,781 times

Advertisements

Trust me, OP, I just moved from Portland after living there for 36 years and I can tell you that even Portland isn't "Portlandia."

Portlandia is a statue that sits outside the city building. "Portlandia" is a TV show written by a New Yorker and a woman musician transplant from Seattle. They took location scenes from any-city hipster/yuppieville areas, which could have been gentrification-city neighbors USA anywhere and blew them all out of proportion.

Yes there are some aspects of Portland shown, but again you can find those in any parts of any cities. Most of Portland is not like that. Those that follow this "Portlandia" trend are mostly transplants who move to Portland because they want to look cool to the folks back home. Unfortunately, they are the most prominent these days but even some of the more longer residents have let the notoriety stuff go to their heads.

Regarding Cleveland resembling that small portion of hipster/yuppie Portland stereotype that does exist, I would say not. People here are too grounded, too real. I have faith in them. Sure there are always going to be posers but on the whole, I wouldn't fear that happening. But if it ever does, just watch me, I'll be on the next flight out to some remote island where they don't have TV or Social Media.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:53 PM

5,005 posts, read 5,617,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The kind of yuppies that I do not like are the obnoxious ones who still act like they're in post-college mode and feel the need to live a luxurious lifestyle with super high standards. Here in Stamford, CT there are TONS of them and it drives me nuts. They have attitudes, too.
I'm not sure whether I'd describe myself (or many people like that or not). I do enjoy occasionally going out for a nice dinner or craft beer, I enjoy mom/pop restaurants and living active lifestyle (more working out, and it seems like more people in near urban neighborhoods bike or jog regularly) and all that, and I enjoy the feel of "energy" that I get being in a close-urban or downtown area. Never lived in one but at some point would like to try it, shorter commutes and all. A lot of people tend to think of yuppie/trendy areas as being that way, but honestly I don't enjoy things like that because they're cool per se. I enjoy them just because, well I enjoy them, I like the older/vintage feel, I feel I might enjoy the lifestyle, and having people that enjoy being active/visiting museums/going to mom/pop restaurants close at hand, and all the things associated . So I really can't personally attribute whether it's some people, all or a majority of people who live in places like that which are like that , because that would be tough to determine without experiencing it. I definitely don't have high expectations though, although I have to say after growing up in Cleveland I'm a bit of a museum and park snob : ). I've eaten at home for over a week straight on many occasions.

Old 03-18-2015, 12:54 PM

133 posts, read 191,481 times
Quote:
The kind of yuppies that I do not like are the obnoxious ones who still act like they're in post-college mode and feel the need to live a luxurious lifestyle with super high standards. Here in Stamford, CT there are TONS of them and it drives me nuts. They have attitudes, too.
Well, I think there's a distinction between 'yuppies' and 'hipsters.' When it comes to Connecticut, I feel like Stamford is much more likely to be 'yuppie' whereas 'hipsters' probably gravitate more towards New Haven/Hartford.

Either way, the pretentiousness of people in Fairfield County is way above anything you'd find in Cleveland (I'm generalizing, I know...I know lots of great people in Fairfield County).

Old 03-18-2015, 12:56 PM

814 posts, read 1,146,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
I think it's positive that Little Italy, even though the neighborhood is currently only about 15% Italian, retains the fact that it maintains the "idea" of being Italian (sort of like Tom Sawyer talking about how for the story's sake, they could SAY that they were digging for 37 years) with basically all Italian restaurants/bakeries still in place. I hope Sokolowski's is around and the West Side Market also 100 years from now.
For what it's worth, I've found that most urban-oriented "yuppies" are also interested in those kinds of things. In fact, I'd say it's often those types of amenities that help make a particular city attractive to this demographic. There seems to be this underlying fear (not from you, but from people like the OP) that young professionals always want to come in and turn everything into the Cheesecake Factory, and I just think that's patently untrue.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Well, how do you define a "blue collar mentality?"

I mean, there's gotta also be a significant white collar presence in CLE, right? I mean, there's gotta be plenty of doctors, lawyers, teachers, office workers, etc, too. Right?
Yes, there are. And this is where it gets dangerous making generalizations like that. I grew up in Cleveland as the son of a Cleveland Police officer and definitely don't come from money. I also am grounded and generally laid back. I like going to nice restaurants and drinking good craft beer. I also enjoy going to neighborhood dive bars and drinking cheap crappy beer. I wear clothes from TJ Maxx and Marshalls and don't have facial hair or any piercings. I like to ride bikes places and take public transit, but also realize some people like to drive. I feel I'm pretty normal, and a lot of other people are like me. I don't really think of myself as blue collar, or white collar or whatever. The world doesn't break down into yuppie vs. hipster vs. blue collar. The majority of people don't fit into one of those specific categories.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Well, how do you define a "blue collar mentality?"

I mean, there's gotta also be a significant white collar presence in CLE, right? I mean, there's gotta be plenty of doctors, lawyers, teachers, office workers, etc, too. Right?
Kind of hard to define, just something that is seen. It's seen in that even if you are in a professional position making a good amount of money doctor, lawyer etc. You aren't pretentious about it. And just sort of the real ness attribute that was described. Not being boastful, being willing to work hard, being very civic minded and just "passionate". So many people these days lack passion , for whatever it is. And just want to be doing whatever the next big thing is. People will say what they will about sports being frivolous , but I frankly love the fact that many doctors/lawyers business people come to games, but in Cleveland they aren't on their phones, arriving late, at the bar, etc. They generally come with their families or kids, wear a regular old jersey or t shirt instead of a suit, and cheer loud and are engaged in the game, because they are where they are in that moment, and that's it. And when there is a win, the excitement is palpable , and you can see people from various classes, races, walks of life etc. Hugging/chest bumping/ no affective ness whatsoever coming together to have a fun evening, and not Brag to anyone about it.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:04 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,876,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clevelander1991 View Post
I'm not sure whether I'd describe myself (or many people like that or not). I do enjoy occasionally going out for a nice dinner or craft beer, I enjoy mom/pop restaurants and living active lifestyle (more working out, and it seems like more people in near urban neighborhoods bike or jog regularly) and all that, and I enjoy the feel of "energy" that I get being in a close-urban or downtown area. Never lived in one but at some point would like to try it, shorter commutes and all. A lot of people tend to think of yuppie/trendy areas as being that way, but honestly I don't enjoy things like that because they're cool per se. I enjoy them just because, well I enjoy them, I like the older/vintage feel, I feel I might enjoy the lifestyle, and having people that enjoy being active/visiting museums/going to mom/pop restaurants close at hand, and all the things associated . So I really can't personally attribute whether it's some people, all or a majority of people who live in places like that which are like that , because that would be tough to determine without experiencing it. I definitely don't have high expectations though, although I have to say after growing up in Cleveland I'm a bit of a museum and park snob : ). I've eaten at home for over a week straight on many occasions.
Wow...I only go out to eat maybe once every 2-3 months. Also, for the past 6 weeks, I spent every weekend entirely in my apartment, from the moment on Friday night I arrived home from work to the moment I leave again for work on Monday morning. It has been just too damn cold this winter to get me out of the house. I never drink beer or alcohol, except maybe 2-3 times per year. I hate beer. I only go out to bars maybe 2-3 times per year as well. I'm the type of guy who sits at the computer all day or plays video games, but during the summer I love to be outside as much as possible, hiking, exploring, etc., and traveling across the country.

Also, my gay friend in CLE said that gay bars are closing down in CLE, which is sad.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Wow...I only go out to eat maybe once every 2-3 months. Also, for the past 6 weeks, I spent every weekend entirely in my apartment, from the moment on Friday night I arrived home from work to the moment I leave again for work on Monday morning. It has been just too damn cold this winter to get me out of the house. I never drink beer or alcohol, except maybe 2-3 times per year. I hate beer. I only go out to bars maybe 2-3 times per year as well. I'm the type of guy who sits at the computer all day or plays video games, but during the summer I love to be outside as much as possible, hiking, exploring, etc., and traveling across the country.

Also, my gay friend in CLE said that gay bars are closing down in CLE, which is sad.
Gay bars are closing down across the country, not just in Cleveland.

Old 03-18-2015, 01:17 PM

Quote:

TPH2, I think your comment attributes much of what I would say exactly. Society generalizes too much when at least from my optimistic side, I tend to think there are many good people who live many different lifestyles everywhere. To NEP321 were any of these people personally rude/did or said things to deride you? If so, I sincerely apologize, no one should have to go through that, and I understand where you'd hold a grudge.

For me personally, I feel like I'm not out all that often relatively speaking, but also I like going out and doing fun things, that's not really that I'm better or worse than someone who goes out more or less. But my favorite things involve sporting events, civic events, museums, parks and neighborhoods/mom and pops. I also enjoy just staying at home reading/watching movies etc. I think it makes life much more enjoyable when you assume the best in everyone, but that is just for me personally. Even if someone wrongs me, I just assume it was just them, and not that entire group. But I understand if you had significant experiences with those sorts of people.

It can be sad in away, because like you I feel sad when certain changes end traditions , not a huge fan of change. But isn't it also a positive in a way. Remember , we lived in a world where many gay people were persecuted for a great portion of human history , which is what even led to the formation of those places in the first place. Isn't it a positive in a way that there is more acceptance in society today, and as such less need for those specific places?

As to your habits/hobbies, different strokes for different folks. It's a positive that many people have such different things they enjoy doing at different times. Even in winter (or summer in FL) I get bored when holed up, so I go somewhere , even if it's just to walk around a museum or go out to eat or deal with sweating or freezing when out on a run (winter is easier to prepare for though)

Old 03-18-2015, 01:38 PM

1,135 posts, read 1,829,196 times
"Lol hipsters/bros/yuppies/whatever" is the middle-aged equivalent of crotchety old man's "get off my lawn".

Last edited by L2DB; 03-18-2015 at 01:38 PM.. Reason: Though who uses "yuppies" anymore?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland