Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 12:42 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_j_planning_shaker View Post
You characterize nearly four years ago as "recent?"
Also, and the one recent one seems to show the cops know the names of the perpetrators.

The license plate comes back to a "notorious family" in the city's Old Brooklyn neighborhood.

And not from the neighborhood. I suspect this will be squashed rather quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 12:47 PM

133 posts, read 175,816 times
^I'm hearing an arrest will come soon.

What's your deal WRnative? You seem hellbent on pointing out the negatives every time a poster mentions they want to live in Cleveland.

I can find articles about violence and/or drug crimes from just about any city/suburb during the last four years. You probably live in Lake county where there are heroin and meth related crimes reported daily.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:00 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_j_planning_shaker View Post
You characterize nearly four years ago as "recent?"
Sorry, I missed the date on the second article, probably because I had missed that case.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandsrocks View Post
Tremont to Bedford is 30min or less.

#themoreyouknow
That 30 mins. may be more to the job location and that is in perfect conditions, likely not during bad winter weather. It's not much of a commute for many areas of the country, but more than many Clevelanders like to do on daily basis each way.

Old 05-04-2015, 04:25 PM

Quote:
^I'm hearing an arrest will come soon.

What's your deal WRnative? You seem hellbent on pointing out the negatives every time a poster mentions they want to live in Cleveland.

I can find articles about violence and/or drug crimes from just about any city/suburb during the last four years. You probably live in Lake county where there are heroin and meth related crimes reported daily.
Tremont is an area where I would be concerned about street crime, based on publicized cases. I suspect the OP can check sites as city-data for more detailed neighborhood info.

Here's another article.

‘I was in shock': Woman says she was attacked in Tremont | fox8.com

So you're saying there are no heroin or meth reports daily in Cleveland?

I can't remember the last time that I've read about a mugging anywhere in Lake County, although bad things do happen many places, certainly murders.

Here's the case that I remember. This article says that Tremont is safer than Cleveland as a whole, but I would be surprised if it's remotely as safe as, say, Independence.

Shooting unnerves Cleveland's Tremont neighborhood, but it remains among city's safest | cleveland.com

I'm not an expert on safe neighborhoods, but I would encourage anybody to research the safety of any neighborhood anywhere, but especially gentrifying neighborhoods with some problematic adjacent neighborhoods.

For whatever reason, perhaps because I visit Tremont frequently, I've noticed articles reporting crimes there more than in many other areas.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:34 PM

8 posts, read 10,384 times
Quote:
The redline station near the Westside Market is a very easy walk/bike from Tremont, esp. for a 30yr old guy. I did it for three years.

You can't go wrong with Downtown, Oh City, or Tremont. Anyone suggesting others areas (Like Beachwood or Bedford YUCK!!) didn't really read what your interests and preferences are.

Good luck with your move to Cleveland!
Thanks so much. I'm hoping it all works out!

Old 05-05-2015, 07:19 AM

133 posts, read 175,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Tremont is an area where I would be concerned about street crime, based on publicized cases. I suspect the OP can check sites as city-data for more detailed neighborhood info.

Here's another article.

‘I was in shock': Woman says she was attacked in Tremont | fox8.com

So you're saying there are no heroin or meth reports daily in Cleveland?

I can't remember the last time that I've read about a mugging anywhere in Lake County, although bad things do happen many places, certainly murders.

Here's the case that I remember. This article says that Tremont is safer than Cleveland as a whole, but I would be surprised if it's remotely as safe as, say, Independence.

Shooting unnerves Cleveland's Tremont neighborhood, but it remains among city's safest | cleveland.com

I'm not an expert on safe neighborhoods, but I would encourage anybody to research the safety of any neighborhood anywhere, but especially gentrifying neighborhoods with some problematic adjacent neighborhoods.

For whatever reason, perhaps because I visit Tremont frequently, I've noticed articles reporting crimes there more than in many other areas.

As far as the recent robberies, I wouldn't say par for the course - but every couple of years there's been a cluster of incidents, usually perpetrated by one or two people and almost always from outside the neighborhood. I can't recall any of those where the perp wasn't caught - in 1999, two hoodrats stupidly tried to rob the Treehouse, one was put out of our misery, the other went to the clink. Tremont's a high profile neighborhood so it attracts attention - criminals see opportunity, reporters see headlines, etc. It's not isolated to Tremont or Cleveland - for example, Chicago's posh Lincoln Park neighborhood experienced something very similar in summer of 2012.

Lake County is full of crime. Don't kid yourself...
[LEFT]
Lake County detectives seize over $75,000 of heroin, marijuana from Ashtabula man | cleveland.com

Lake County rape suspect commits suicide before jury trial, officials say | cleveland.com

Man arrested on suspicion of robbing three Painesville businesses | cleveland.com

Five accused of trying to rob Mentor men of drugs | cleveland.com

http://www.cleveland.com/eastlake/in...ed_down_a.html

[/LEFT]

Old 05-05-2015, 09:16 AM

Quote:
As far as the recent robberies, I wouldn't say par for the course - but every couple of years there's been a cluster of incidents, usually perpetrated by one or two people and almost always from outside the neighborhood. I can't recall any of those where the perp wasn't caught - in 1999, two hoodrats stupidly tried to rob the Treehouse, one was put out of our misery, the other went to the clink. Tremont's a high profile neighborhood so it attracts attention - criminals see opportunity, reporters see headlines, etc. It's not isolated to Tremont or Cleveland - for example, Chicago's posh Lincoln Park neighborhood experienced something very similar in summer of 2012.

Lake County is full of crime. Don't kid yourself...
[LEFT]
Lake County detectives seize over $75,000 of heroin, marijuana from Ashtabula man | cleveland.com

Lake County rape suspect commits suicide before jury trial, officials say | cleveland.com

Man arrested on suspicion of robbing three Painesville businesses | cleveland.com

Five accused of trying to rob Mentor men of drugs | cleveland.com

Eastlake schools locked down after teen tries to rob nearby store | cleveland.com

[/LEFT]
LOL! And a similar exercise for Cleveland would put Lake County in extremely good light, which likely would be backed up any analysis of crime statistics, perhaps on city-data. One difference is that Lake County authorities aggressively stomp out crime, likely because of much greater resources.

As mentioned in an earlier post, a difference in crime between Lake County and other suburban areas and Cleveland neighborhoods are muggings.

Sadly, here's another one:

Three people robbed at gunpoint walking back from Ohio City bars | cleveland.com

I only was trying to alert the OP to a sensible concern -- check crime statistics for any neighborhood under consideration.

Instead, you turned it into a p***ing contest that you have no chance of winning, especially as it demonstrates your ignorance of Lake County and, candidly, IMO some dishonesty about Cleveland. I don't think persons living in Willoughby, Mentor or even Painesville in Lake County, or in most Cleveland suburbs, worry about muggings. Muggings are a concern in many Cleveland neighborhoods.

Another good exercise for anybody is to get auto insurance quotes for various potential addresses....

Let me emphasize that I don't particularly worry about muggings when visiting Cleveland, but it is something in the back of my mind, especially after dark, when I'm much more careful about where I go and where I park.

As we're on the topic, panhandlers are a pain in downtown Cleveland. In my scores of encounters over the years, they are generally benign and often polite, but I've encountered aggressive panhandlers and even one that was physically dangerous. If you read reviews of downtown Cleveland hotels, especially the Renaissance, you'll encounter posts where persons were appalled by the extent of the panhandling. It's amazing that Cleveland hasn't dealt with this problem, obvious to any downtown visitor.

I've yet to encounter a panhandler in Tremont or the Market District. I remember that panhandlers were one reason that Crop's Steve Schimoler happily moved from the Warehouse District to the Market District. That was a reason that I well understood, as panhandlers seemed a certainty after visiting the old Crop.

Panhandling is illegal in many Cleveland suburbs.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:35 PM

996 posts, read 1,235,199 times
Congratulations on the new gig. You might also check the Shaker Square area and I think someone already mentioned the Little Italy area.

Old 05-05-2015, 12:36 PM

Clevelandsrocks, I never disputed the attributes that you list for downtown, Tremont, and Ohio City.

I just offered him some alternative considerations. You decided to punk out over any crime concerns, laughably trying to compare Cleveland neighborhoods with suburban areas, and dismissing any other alternatives. The OP should at least understand all considerations.

On the crime metric, you are disingenuous at best, which he rapidly will discover if he talks to work associates and anybody else who lives in Greater Cleveland.

I also focused on six-figure exec., grad school, short commute, outdoor recreational opportunities, convenience to downtown. He never defined what he meant by amenities.

Independence has a lot of single professionals. 25 percent of the population has never married, 15 percent with a professional or graduate degree for persons over 25. Household income more closely resembles his than Tremont. Do I think he might want to live there in the long run? Probably not, but it's a place to consider while getting to get to know the area, along with many other places. A big reason that I thought of Independence was the relatively short commute to Bedford, but easy access to Tremont, Ohio City and downtown, especially outside of commuting hours.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Independence-Ohio.html

The unmarried percentages are about the same as in Tremont, which is much poorer on a median basis.

http://www.city-data.com/neighborhoo...veland-OH.html

If he wants great local restaurants, he might be happier in the Beachwood area, especially if his goal is living in a neighborhood with those in his own socio-economic class. The I-271 corridor is now Cleveland's corporate center. Many of Greater Cleveland's best restaurants are centered with 10 minutes of Beachwood.

The OP needs to do his own research, not listen to hysterical puffery from self-absorbed individuals.

Personally, I don't care where he lives, but I do wish he would share his decision with us and his experiences with us after a year.

Last edited by WRnative; 05-05-2015 at 12:59 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland