Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 05:57 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times

Advertisements

Okay, you all convinced me. I Googled Harvey Pekar and found my way to Amazon. I ordered an anthology of his written in 1993. I think what finally sold me was a review in which Pekar was compared to Studs Terkel, one of my favorite all time Chicago authors whose every book I have read at least once.

Looks like this is going to be a very interesting view of my new city. or
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2015, 06:55 PM

24,095 posts, read 32,437,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I've heard of "American Splendor." I will check it out as well as the other things he has done.

I am familiar with the graphic comic genre. I used to be a fan of the "Sandman" graphic comics by Neil Gamien. I still read Gamien's books and have met him at a Sci Fi Con in Seattle. He's a really interesting guy.

Just saw "American Splendor". Well done and worth seeing.

I loved "The Devil in the White City" also. I can't wait for it to be turned into a movie.

Not Cleveland related, nor non fiction, but it you enjoyed "The Devil in the White City" you may like the novels of Caleb Carr, which read like non fiction and have enough historical facts to form a solid basis of verisimilitude.

Old 05-24-2015, 09:58 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Oh shoot, I thought it had been released. I had to come back and change my post because it hasn't. Well here's a clip anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFg5FYcBZ6A

Warning: Don't watch this trailer in the dark.

Last edited by Minervah; 05-24-2015 at 10:43 PM.. Reason: Corrected info

Old 08-05-2020, 10:35 PM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karlsch View Post
I learned, and probably many others did too, about Harvey Pekar because of the recurring appearances on Late Night With David Letterman:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9XzqnLLiqs

Someone compiled all of his Letterman appearances which are fascinating to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biOodnioY8c

Letterman was usually the ironic outsider, but with Pekar in the room he morphed into the establishment. Reading some of the comments later on Dave expressed regret as to his treatment of Pekar, and Harvey admitted some of his behavior was self-parody. It was interesting to watch Pekar not wanting to talk about his art (books), yet go on and on about the donuts that were given to him. I mean not even Captain Beefheart would go that far. It would have been cool if there was another Letterman interview after the movie American Splendor came out, when both men might have been more mellow and mature.

Watching these vids does make me want to go and get the books at least.

Old 08-07-2020, 03:34 PM

4,517 posts, read 5,090,184 times
^Obviously the guy was quite a character who, honestly, I had never heard of until "American Splendor" was made into the film. Paul Giamatti (a fine actor) does a nice job depicting Pekar.

Old 03-03-2021, 11:06 AM

3,981 posts, read 6,733,219 times
I've read a half dozen Pekar books, but none ever came close to really getting at the man until I read 'The Quitter.' As is often the case the formative years are the defining years that bring into being the aspirations and ailments that last until death. Highly recommended.

Old 03-05-2021, 11:50 AM

4,069 posts, read 7,312,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
^Obviously the guy was quite a character who, honestly, I had never heard of until "American Splendor" was made into the film. Paul Giamatti (a fine actor) does a nice job depicting Pekar.
I had maybe vaguely heard of Pekar before the film. I do, however, personally know Toby Radloff, who worked alongside Pekar at the VA Hospital, and who was played by Judah Friedlander in "American Splendor" (who did an amazing job nailing down the role, BTW). Toby also appeared in the movie as himself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland