Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 08:51 PM

47 posts, read 86,206 times

Advertisements

I haven't seen many polls on this, so I'm curious what people think...

It looks like there is going to be a vote on legal pot this year for Ohio in November.

Is there a large amount of support for this to pass? I guess it would only need 51% since it's not a constitutional amendment.

My wife has pretty bad Arthritis, and whether or not we move to Ohio basically hinges on this passing.(Medical pot would be sufficient but I don't see anyone trying to legalize it)

Also, another swing-state legalizing it is another major blow against the BS-Scheduling of Marijuana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2015, 07:44 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,951,998 times
Given how long it took to get legalized gambling in Ohio after several failed attempts....nevermind our neighboring states all had it, and our residents would flock over to those states resulting in lost revenue that could have stayed at home.... I'm sure that cannabis legalization in our state may take a few times on the ballot before it passes. I'm hopeful that it does pass, because I think its prohibition is bulls*** and based on nothing but lies, propaganda, and pandering to special interests that fear losing profits! It would be nice for Ohio to become another state to legalize and deal another blow to the feds in pushing to re-schedule and end federal prohibition once and for all!

Old 05-19-2015, 08:55 AM

11,048 posts, read 12,368,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Given how long it took to get legalized gambling in Ohio after several failed attempts....nevermind our neighboring states all had it, and our residents would flock over to those states resulting in lost revenue that could have stayed at home.... I'm sure that cannabis legalization in our state may take a few times on the ballot before it passes. I'm hopeful that it does pass, because I think its prohibition is bulls*** and based on nothing but lies, propaganda, and pandering to special interests that fear losing profits! It would be nice for Ohio to become another state to legalize and deal another blow to the feds in pushing to re-schedule and end federal prohibition once and for all!
Marijuana shouldn't be "legalized", it should just be treated like any other plant. After its legalized, then begins the limits and regulations on who can actually sell it, it'll be taxed highly. The government will still win. Uncle Sam will line his pockets a bit more, though the underground market will continue to exist because of the high tax. This even still is a huge market in cigarettes, it'll definitely be there for weed too.

Old 05-19-2015, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Marijuana shouldn't be "legalized", it should just be treated like any other plant. After its legalized, then begins the limits and regulations on who can actually sell it, it'll be taxed highly. The government will still win. Uncle Sam will line his pockets a bit more, though the underground market will continue to exist because of the high tax. This even still is a huge market in cigarettes, it'll definitely be there for weed too.

In theory, yes I agree. I should be able to have the option of growing my own for personal use without fear of a fine, or prosecution. Unfortunately, that isn't going to happen. Cannabis and its cousin industrial hemp should never have been banned in the first place! Given that when alcohol was banned the Constitution was amended, and then an amendment was needed to repeal alcohol prohibition, and yet no such thing happened with cannabis, well... quite frankly the prohibition of cannabis is un-Constitutional! As for the black market.... sure it will probably exist, but it won't be nearly as influential as it is now!

Old 05-19-2015, 03:50 PM

47 posts, read 86,206 times
The "Black Market" in Colorado, where I live now, is more like a "grey" market. Because really the only market is just some home-owners who grow their own and then sell to some neighbors. No shootings or anything associated with it anymore. Most South-America/Mexico growing operations have shut down due to no longer being profitable.

It's no big secret that the Schedule 1 labeling for Marijuana is something that was bought by corporations, mostly pharmaceutical industries.

Old 05-20-2015, 07:30 AM

2,135 posts, read 5,479,190 times
Ohio voters favor legalizing marijuana, huge majority supports medical use, poll finds | cleveland.com

Old 05-20-2015, 09:03 AM

1,066 posts, read 2,409,662 times
It will pass in Northeast Ohio and the Columbus metro. Southern Ohio is the big question mark.

Old 05-20-2015, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksu sucks View Post
It will pass in Northeast Ohio and the Columbus metro. Southern Ohio is the big question mark.

Don't forget Toledo area, and possibly Cincinnati metro.

Old 05-20-2015, 09:43 PM

14,648 posts, read 14,558,043 times
It depends how many supporters actually come out to vote for it, especially in an off-year.

Old 05-21-2015, 01:13 PM

1,066 posts, read 2,409,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
Don't forget Toledo area, and possibly Cincinnati metro.
True. However I imagine the Toledo and Cincinnati metros are good deal more conservative than Cleveland or Columbus. That's always been my perception anyway. It fits the narrative...more stereotypically Midwestern/Southern(in Cincinnati's case)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
It depends how many supporters actually come out to vote for it, especially in an off-year.
Pretty much. The real question is will the proponents of legalization come out in bigger numbers than the elderly and religious fanatics. Often Ohio is painted as a state full of waffling morons. I'm more inclined to believe that our "swing state" label is actually the result of very opposed groups living within the same state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland