U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-13-2015, 04:39 PM
 
8,242 posts, read 5,268,733 times
Reputation: 4396

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpl1228 View Post
^ People are scared to send their kids to Lyndhurst HS? Have we really all become that picky?
According to the Cleveland Magazine rankings, the Lyndhurst schools are ranked 43, lower than most east side suburbs, but comparable to Cuyahoga Falls and Streetsboro, and higher than Cleveland Heights/University Heights.

Surprisingly, Lyndhurst is ranked more safe than Mayfield Village, despite the presence of Legacy Village in Lyndhurst. I would like an explanation of this disparity. Lyndhurst is among the most walkable east side suburbs, much more so than Mayfield Village and Highland Heights.

For the OP, Lyndhurst may represent the value play, but I would worry about the Cedar Road/Brainard Rd. I-271 interchange for commuting times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-13-2015, 10:51 PM
 
Location: Ak-Rowdy, OH
1,522 posts, read 2,543,983 times
Reputation: 1127
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
According to the Cleveland Magazine rankings, the Lyndhurst schools are ranked 43, lower than most east side suburbs, but comparable to Cuyahoga Falls and Streetsboro, and higher than Cleveland Heights/University Heights.
Not sure how Cleveland Magazine calculates, but South Euclid-Lyndhurst schools skew mostly Cs in the state's metrics, Cuyahoga Falls and Streetsboro mostly B's, and CH-UH seems to be all across the board depending on category.


Quote:
Surprisingly, Lyndhurst is ranked more safe than Mayfield Village, despite the presence of Legacy Village in Lyndhurst. I would like an explanation of this disparity. Lyndhurst is among the most walkable east side suburbs, much more so than Mayfield Village and Highland Heights.
Mayfield is also five times smaller but has a disproportionate amount of its developable land in commercial and retail.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2015, 07:55 PM
 
37 posts, read 36,344 times
Reputation: 23
Wanted to give a quick update on our home search. So you all were right about Lakewood being too far. While the drive is manageable, I don't want to put myself in the position to make that commute for years. Looked at houses in Shaker and Lyndhurst. Some were very nice. Others were deceiving based on their pictures online. The drive would be tolerable but not something I really want to do daily either. I do really like being so close to Legacy Village but I'll settle for making the drive there to visit. We officially begin viewing houses with our agent tomorrow. Our agenda includes Solon, Hudson, Macedonia, Twinsburg, Northfield and Sagamore Hills. The suburban life seems to be the best fit for our needs and to find a yard for our dog. Depending on which area we choose it would be about equal distances both ways. I'm pretty familure with Hudson, Solon and twinsburg but know nothing about the others. I'll be sure to keep updating to hopefully help someone in the future who may be in a similar situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2015, 08:15 PM
 
8,242 posts, read 5,268,733 times
Reputation: 4396
Hudson seems alot closer to Akron than Mentor. If you're looking at Sagamore Hills, I wonder if an eastern location in Brecksville or Independence would work for you.

Last edited by WRnative; 07-22-2015 at 08:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-22-2015, 11:37 PM
 
33 posts, read 76,671 times
Reputation: 54
I commuted from Hudson to Mentor for years. Snow aside, it's about 45 mins going north at morning rush... which isn't the worst. Going south at evening rush can be a bigger problem, mostly at the 271/422/480 interchange... which goes from 6 lanes to 2. Traffic can back up for 1-2 miles on bad days, adding 20-30 mins to drive.

Will be hard finding anything good in Hudson proper for $200K...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2015, 08:39 AM
 
133 posts, read 143,639 times
Reputation: 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8506 View Post
Wanted to give a quick update on our home search. So you all were right about Lakewood being too far. While the drive is manageable, I don't want to put myself in the position to make that commute for years. Looked at houses in Shaker and Lyndhurst. Some were very nice. Others were deceiving based on their pictures online. The drive would be tolerable but not something I really want to do daily either. I do really like being so close to Legacy Village but I'll settle for making the drive there to visit. We officially begin viewing houses with our agent tomorrow. Our agenda includes Solon, Hudson, Macedonia, Twinsburg, Northfield and Sagamore Hills. The suburban life seems to be the best fit for our needs and to find a yard for our dog. Depending on which area we choose it would be about equal distances both ways. I'm pretty familure with Hudson, Solon and twinsburg but know nothing about the others. I'll be sure to keep updating to hopefully help someone in the future who may be in a similar situation.
Gross. The suburbs are so 1985.

As the national workforce skews toward a younger, more environmentally conscious demographic, the walkability of a neighborhood is becoming an increasingly important factor in attracting talent. According to the Pew Research Center, Millennials are now the largest generational segment of the American workforce, making up 34 percent of all workers. This is the same generational segment who are frequenting public transit and riding bikes to work. Twenty years ago, 20.8 percent of cars on the road were driven by 21-30 year olds. According to the 2010 Federal Highway Administration, that number dropped to 13.7 percent by 2009. Four in five millennials say they want to live somewhere they have a variety of transportation options to get to jobs, school and daily needs; and three out of four say they are likely to choose to live where they don't need a car to get places, according to Transportation For America.

http://www.cleveland.com/sponsor-con...8kBAODQDAlM0LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2015, 09:30 AM
 
37 posts, read 36,344 times
Reputation: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandsrocks View Post
Gross. The suburbs are so 1985.

As the national workforce skews toward a younger, more environmentally conscious demographic, the walkability of a neighborhood is becoming an increasingly important factor in attracting talent. According to the Pew Research Center, Millennials are now the largest generational segment of the American workforce, making up 34 percent of all workers. This is the same generational segment who are frequenting public transit and riding bikes to work. Twenty years ago, 20.8 percent of cars on the road were driven by 21-30 year olds. According to the 2010 Federal Highway Administration, that number dropped to 13.7 percent by 2009. Four in five millennials say they want to live somewhere they have a variety of transportation options to get to jobs, school and daily needs; and three out of four say they are likely to choose to live where they don't need a car to get places, according to Transportation For America.

http://www.cleveland.com/sponsor-con...8kBAODQDAlM0LA
If by 1985 you mean lower crime rates, large properties, award winning schools, and reasonable tax rates then yes..gross. As a millennial myself I would never consider Cleveland public transit. I don't work my tail off so that I can ride the RTA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-23-2015, 10:22 AM
 
8,242 posts, read 5,268,733 times
Reputation: 4396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelandsrocks View Post
Gross. The suburbs are so 1985.

As the national workforce skews toward a younger, more environmentally conscious demographic, the walkability of a neighborhood is becoming an increasingly important factor in attracting talent.
??????

The OP works in Akron and his wife in Mentor. Are you proposing that they walk to work?

Have you ever been to Hudson, or many other Cleveland suburbs, such as Chagrin Falls? They certainly are as walkable as Tremont or Detroit Shoreway, and a great deal safer and more pleasant, IF walkability is a concern of the OP and his wife.

Different strokes for different folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 01:13 PM
 
3,283 posts, read 5,507,562 times
Reputation: 2406
First, the locations that the OP seems to be looking do tend to be closer to Akron than Mentor, but maybe that's by design? Those burbs aren't bad, but they aren't really in the middle.

Second, OP, while it's not an option for your situation, you should not be so quick to disparage RTA. There are many upper-middle class "suburban" folks from Shaker Heights, University Heights, Beachwood, Pepper Pike, Orange Village, etc. that park in Shaker Heights and ride the rapid to commute downtown. If anything, it's a shame that this system is not more extensive and accessible.

Finally, I've said it before and I'll say it again: Clevelandsrocks almost has to be a real estate agent.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2015, 07:24 PM
 
1,046 posts, read 1,238,785 times
Reputation: 482
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8506 View Post
If by 1985 you mean lower crime rates, large properties, award winning schools, and reasonable tax rates then yes..gross. As a millennial myself I would never consider Cleveland public transit. I don't work my tail off so that I can ride the RTA.
RTA = return to abomination

You are on the right path with Hudson, Macedonia and Twinsburg.

The suburbs are so 1985 comment had me laughing. It's analogous to some of the comments that were made by the misinformed on here months ago about how Solon is nothing more than commercial parking lots and not walkable. LOL! Be wary of the inner city boosters that try to promote "walkability" in the city as opposed to the "horrid and painful driving experience" that you will have to endure during a 30 min commute LOL.

There's a reason why the city is offering a 15 year tax break to try to get people to move there.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top