Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2015, 09:04 AM

5 posts, read 15,397 times

Advertisements

We are considering a move to the Cleveland area and I am a bit overwhelmed by research on best area for schools. I would prefer to keep my commute to Wickliffe under 30 minutes but my main concern is education options for my son who is currently in a gifted and talented academy. He will be entering the 6th grade in August.

I love the look/feel/vibe of Shaker Heights but get mixed messages about the quality of the schools. State ratings aren't the best for Shaker Heights but I hear people saying great things about the schools. Orange, Mayfield Heights and Beachwood also appear to be good options but the house prices are higher for not as much character.

Additionally, my husband is a avid cyclist and likes to go on long distance bicycle rides. He's interested in living in a place where he can get out to open road without risking life and limb on highways.

Any advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2015, 10:06 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,835,617 times
Trade-offs, for sure. I think any of the options you listed are okay school-wise. I'd probably go Beachwood, Orange, Mayfield, and then Shaker.

I think one of the plusses to areas of Beachwood is that you're close to some of the restaurants, shops, etc. in SH and CH. Where I live, Shaker is pretty much across the street. Orange is more rural and Mayfield is more commercial (IMO).

As for cycling, Beachwood/Orange are probably going to get you closest to Fairmount (which, AFAIK) is one of the main "cycling" roads (once you get East of Richmond and more so East of Brainard/Lander). It's rolling hills and not a ton of traffic.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:56 AM

3,281 posts, read 6,276,419 times
Shaker's gifted and talented program is without a doubt amongst the strongest in the area. For a "regular ed" student I wouldn't necessarily recommend Shaker above Orange and then Beachwood (in that order), but for a gifted kid? Absolutely. And for gifted Mayfield wouldn't even really be in the discussion for top five on the east side.

Shaker's gifted program is well-funded and there exists a large enough concentration of students for a wider variety of programs to be offered than some of the smaller suburban districts on the east side. It's also the only district in the area that offers the International Baccalaureate from K-12, and the high school has a full slate of AP courses.

Old 07-14-2015, 07:13 PM

119 posts, read 273,337 times
As far as biking, your hubby can take the Cuyahoga Valley railroad from Independence down to Canton and ride his bike back (or he could do both ways). It's a great deal and a beautiful (and safe!) bike trail.

The only gifted school I am aware of is Miller South in Akron, but it is music/arts based.

Old 07-15-2015, 08:01 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,147,010 times
How is this area of UH?

2551 Ashurst Rd

Thanks!

Old 07-16-2015, 08:50 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,429,613 times
Default Chagrin Falls

Chagrin Falls has excellent schools and is one of the most charming towns in Greater Cleveland.

I know an avid road cyclist who lived there and loved it.

http://www.clevelandmetroparks.com/R...vationTrailMap

Chagrin Falls High School in CHAGRIN FALLS, OH | Best High Schools | US News

Search Ohio High Schools | US News

Consider the size of the school system when evaluating the following.

National Merit Scholarship semifinalists named: Who at your school made the cut? | cleveland.com

Kirtland has a very small school district, and not much of a downtown, but great parks and Holden Arboretum.

Lake Metroparks - Activities: Biking

Does your husband have any interest in cross country skiing? Kirtland is even better for that as you can cross country ski at Holden, which I don't believe allows cycling.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
View detailed profiles of: