Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 08:34 PM

1 posts, read 6,232 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to Cleveland in a few months. My husband will be working at CCF. I am originally from Ohio, but we have lived in Florida for the past 6 years. We are leaning towards the west side (my parents live in Vermilion). What can you tell me about the West Park area? I will be staying home with our baby girl and would like a place that I can feel safe and comfortable going out for walks/runs with her. I want something with neighborhoods and decent sized yards.

We are also considering North Olmsted, Fairview Park, Berea, and Brook Park.. any comments or suggestions?

And, as a side note- we need a bank. Any suggestions? We love Bank of America, but apparently they are not in all parts of America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 02:18 AM

4,464 posts, read 5,013,574 times
I'm an East Sider who's frequented West Park, so here's my 2 cents... of the suburban towns you've mentioned, only Berea, an old college town (home of Baldwin-Wallace college) has more charm. West Park is somewhat homogeneous -- mainly white and more conservative, politically, than most areas of Cleveland. It's also among the most stable. West Park housing is very diverse, w/ bungalows, mainly brick, in the eastern parts morphing into older mini-mansions in the far western portions, esp near Riverside Drive, overlooking the Rocky River. It's mostly single family homes with some walkup apts here and there (but no big high-rises)... This makes WP seem very suburban. In fact, overall, WP's housing stock is the equal, even the superior, of most of the suburbs you've mentioned, yet you pay the lower Cleveland city taxes... Kamm's corners is a neat suburban-like Main Street walking district along Lorain Road near Riverside Drive. Lots of foot traffic, esp in summertime.

WP's also very convenient as it's served by 2 stations of the RTA rapid transit Red Line along its eastern border, serving directly such areas as downtown Cleveland, Ohio City,

Old 01-24-2008, 06:02 AM

16,924 posts, read 12,474,368 times
I lived in West Park 15 years.

Dont do it.
The biggie is the schools stink.
The cops are insanely lazy. Unless you are politically connected or having a chainsaw fight in the middle of the street; expect no help.
Selling a house in Cleveland proper is next to impossible now including WP.

It is not dangerous. In fact my wife and I would go on late night walks through VERY charming neighborhoods after I got off work at 10PM and later! The most dangerous thing we encountered was a near miss with a skunk.
Prettiest areas are Norway near Normandy, some streets off Munn, and Greenwood ave are incredible but it does not make up for the awful city services.

North Olmsted is a good budget choice for a home.
Fairview last I heard while safe, the schools were not as good as NO

Westlake, Olmsted Falls, Rocky River, Avon, Avon Lake have better schools than both but generally cost more.

Old 01-24-2008, 04:17 PM

211 posts, read 976,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProf View Post
I'm an East Sider who's frequented West Park, so here's my 2 cents... of the suburban towns you've mentioned, only Berea, an old college town (home of Baldwin-Wallace college) has more charm. West Park is somewhat homogeneous -- mainly white and more conservative, politically, than most areas of Cleveland. It's also among the most stable. West Park housing is very diverse, w/ bungalows, mainly brick, in the eastern parts morphing into older mini-mansions in the far western portions, esp near Riverside Drive, overlooking the Rocky River. It's mostly single family homes with some walkup apts here and there (but no big high-rises)... This makes WP seem very suburban. In fact, overall, WP's housing stock is the equal, even the superior, of most of the suburbs you've mentioned, yet you pay the lower Cleveland city taxes... Kamm's corners is a neat suburban-like Main Street walking district along Lorain Road near Riverside Drive. Lots of foot traffic, esp in summertime.

WP's also very convenient as it's served by 2 stations of the RTA rapid transit Red Line along its eastern border, serving directly such areas as downtown Cleveland, Ohio City,
I'm sorry, but I strongly disagree with some of the above points. We just sold my mother-in-law's house after 40 years. Yes, it is probably the most *preferred* area of Cleveland, but if they repeal the City charter that allows Cleveland police officers the ability to move outside the city, it's a gonner. Do you know why the WP housing stock is so plentiful? Nobody can sell them!

Low Cleveland taxes??? Are you kidding? Cleveland keeps raising their taxes while their school system plummets.

Conservative? Uh . . . don't think so. It's mostly blue collar and unions.

You say you want to jog around? I'd be leary, although I do see people jogging (with mace). It really depends on where you live in WP. If you *must* move there, then I'd stay north of Lorain Avenue . . . . closer to St. Joe's and Our Lady of Angels.

Kamm's has some nice ammenities (stores, banks, etc). You are also close to the hospital. The biggest plus to WP is the fact that the neighborhoods have police and firemen living in them. If your unsure of an area, check the police blotters through the Sun News. Again, the city residency law is a huge issue right now in the police department. Cops are required to live there, but have to put their kids in private schools because they are so bad. The State of Ohio now labeled the law unconstitutional. The City is fighting it. The result remains to be seen. My brother is a Cleveland Cop. He said when / if they are allowed to leave . . . . mass exodus.

Fairview is a very nice area. It is still what WestPark used to be. High taxes. Ok school system. Berea is nice. I don't particularly care for Brookpark, but that is just my preference.

Honestly, it will really depend on your price range.

The last thing I'd worry about are banks. Those are a dime a dozen.

Old 01-24-2008, 05:05 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,605,460 times
West Park is nice. Fairview, Lakewood, Berea, and Rocky River are all relatively similar cities in most aspects. All have affordable housing / renting (I'll shrug off any misinformed people who will say Rocky River is strictly high priced - not everyone lives on the lake ). In fact, most areas of Rocky River and West Park are almost identical in their feel. Crime will be low in most of those areas. On the fringes of some West Park communities lie some projects (on Rocky River drive) and then further east past W.140th and Lorain. If you have children - private will probably be a good option considering Cleveland schools are not the greatest. John Marshall isn't a HS I'd want kids to go to. All of the cities you listed are in or close to the city, affordable, and not typically 'bland' compared to other areas of Cleveland I've been. They actually have character.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
West Park is nice. Fairview, Lakewood, Berea, and Rocky River are all relatively similar cities in most aspects. All have affordable housing / renting (I'll shrug off any misinformed people who will say Rocky River is strictly high priced - not everyone lives on the lake ). In fact, most areas of Rocky River and West Park are almost identical in their feel. Crime will be low in most of those areas. On the fringes of some West Park communities lie some projects (on Rocky River drive) and then further east past W.140th and Lorain. If you have children - private will probably be a good option considering Cleveland schools are not the greatest. John Marshall isn't a HS I'd want kids to go to. All of the cities you listed are in or close to the city, affordable, and not typically 'bland' compared to other areas of Cleveland I've been. They actually have character.
. . . and I *shrug* off anyone that gives me old statistics and says Rocky River is affordable. As an investor, I don't think $225K for a 3 bedroom, 1200 sq. ft. home is affordable to an everyday person. So I think we should agree to disagree.

Old 01-25-2008, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveburg View Post
. . . and I *shrug* off anyone that gives me old statistics and says Rocky River is affordable. As an investor, I don't think $225K for a 3 bedroom, 1200 sq. ft. home is affordable to an everyday person. So I think we should agree to disagree.

Amen! I hear that. RR is way over priced. Anything $150,000 and up needs work.

I grew up in WP. I left two yrs. ago. I would not go back. It is going down hill. It makes me sad

Old 01-25-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleveburg View Post
Rental properties are affordable. And I lived a 1400 sq foot home with 3 bedrooms 2.5 baths that was just shy under $160k. There are virtually every type of home. If you want a townhouse - you can find one for $100k or newly added ones that range upwards to $1,000,000. You want a bungalow? Very affordable. People always believe Rocky River is more expensive than it really is based on some VERY HIGH priced homes on the Lake. Heck, there are an abundance of open rental properties and apartments in River as well.

You want places more expensive or about the same price range? Well Avon Lake, Westlake, Independence, Brecksville, etc all have higher median home prices. I think all those cities have higher medium income. For under $150k, you CAN find a comfortable place to live.

Old 01-25-2008, 09:21 PM

On a side note, if anyone thinks Rocky River is expensive.. they haven't lived ANYWHERE outside of Cleveland. Their ignorance shines through. Rocky River is a prosperous community - but not nearly as expensive as other cities around Cleveland. Honestly, live outside of Cleveland and tell me Rocky River is expensive... I will laugh in sheer irony of your reports.

Old 01-26-2008, 02:09 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,475,629 times
The areas north of Detroit Rd in River are VERY expensive...Avalon, Beach Cliff Blvd...all those homes near RR Park cost a pretty penny. Even the ones right near the railroad tracks run in the area $400+ .
Then there are the areas off of Center Ridge Road & Hilliard that are not as expensive. There is the area off of Westwood that is definitely affordable but the homes are mostly 1960/70 ranch homes on busy side streets.

BUT, what you get for your money in River...great schools (St Chris isn't too bad either for private), good reputation for resale, lower taxes compared to Lakewood & Fairview, & some cute store/restaurants. But Crocker Park in Westlake has hurt stores & restuarants in River; especially the trendy area around Beachcliff. Several stores will be closing.

Compare River to areas such as Chagrin Falls, Solon, Beachwood, Sag Hills, Pepper Pike etc...no way. River is a deal.

For affordability PLUS GOOD SCHOOLS on the west side...areas of Avon Lake, River, & Bay.

Never been a fan of Westlake. Fairview has high taxes due to lack of industry/commercial stores & schools are still under par though hopefully the new rec center & Westgate reville will help.

Wouldn't give a house away in Westpark or anywhere in Cleveland proper. Just too many issues that range from crime, schools, empty stores, etc.

North Olmsted?? Heck no! I am not even going to go down that route of what N.O. is turning into. Schools are awful.

Brook Park is affordable as is Parma, but the schools stink & levies are always failing to make the schools stink even more.

Berea is "ok"...again, depends on where in Berea.

The west side is so expansive & can change from one block to another.

If schools are #1, then stick with River, Bay, Berea.

Stay away from West Park & North Olmsted.

Be aware of the school system if you look in Fairview. You can get a lot of house for your money there though.

North Royalton is another great area. VERY good school system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland