Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2015, 01:55 PM

4,520 posts, read 5,093,240 times

Advertisements

Yep, the swimming pool and playground on E. 149th Street were around the block from us... We often went to the little deli market called Mayer's just a half-block away on the corner of E. 149 & Glendale -- but it's long-gone now; torn down. I'm not sure whether Mayer's spot is an empty lot ... somehow I think a house or houses was built there (I'll have to drive by and check) -- wait BREAKING NEWS Google Street views happily confirms that a house sits at that location: see https://www.google.com/maps/@41.4529...7i13312!8i6656

I sometimes rode (sometimes with my Mom), the old 56A bus, which RTA converted to the no. 15. The no. 40 bus up/down Lee Road had a branch line (40A or B?) which went down Glendale as well... My dad would use the family car to drive to work and drop Mom off on the way, so we kids would be bus bound ... until that dreaded day we learned how to drive!... But for really BIG events, like the circus (at Public Hall) or Browns games, my folks would drive up E. 147th to Milverton to Onaway, where we'd park the car and catch the Rapid into town. I'm sure that's when I fell in love with rail transit, for which I still have to this day... Having such a thing as rapid transit right in the neighborhood made Cleveland seem so BIG (OK we crossed the border into Shaker but, still, you catch my drift) ...

But that's why this neighborhood, in it's heyday, was part of why I love Cleveland so much... it's a perfect blend of big city and small town. Trips to University Circle with all those great museums and the orchestra in such a gorgeous area plus downtown, which was bustling in those days, made me realize that Cleveland had (nearly) everything the really big cities have but in such a livable, informal setting... I can't think of a better place (or a better era) for growing up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2015, 08:47 AM

25 posts, read 35,045 times
OMG!!! We just drove past that house the other day going down Glendale!!!! That's why I asked about the pool..And I seem to vaguely remember Mayer's...

Yeah, the ol #15....still rolling to this day, but I haven't been on it since 2002 I think...We were big on the #14 though since we lived in that area...And I thought me and my mom were the only ones who knew about going over to Milverton and Onaway to catch the rapid going downtown, LOLOLOL!!!! (Remember when the cars were a royal blue color?? And it was called CTS...I remember going to the circus too (begged my parents and had HUGE fun)..Public Hall was the place to be..And going to the museums was a real treat...I'm still mad that the old Aquarium is gone now...

Also remember going down to the West Side Market.....Remember that "interesting aroma" it had as soon as you hit the door??

It's unfortunate that so many of my old haunts are now not safe places to be anymore.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland