Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2016, 03:36 PM

11,046 posts, read 12,331,299 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
My son and his wife live in one of those elitist and arrogant central cities for $1,050 a month. When units in his building were marketed as condos they sold for around $200,000.

$10 million will get you six or seven gigantic houses in the same area.

Give me a break bro.
Where do they live?

You cannot, I repeat, cannot get a condo in the center of Boston, New York, or DC for 200k. You're being absolutely dishonest.you probably don't live anywhere near a center.

Hey bro, the house where I live in oak square in Brighton is worth a million. Get out of here. Give me some more information or take your elitist nonsense elsewhere good lord.

I mean seriously that's laughable. You can't get a one bedroom for 1k. You're either a liar or are too clueless about neighborhoods where your elitist family lives.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2016, 03:44 PM

6,438 posts, read 6,873,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Where do they live?

You cannot, I repeat, cannot get a condo in the center of Boston, New York, or DC for 200k. You're being absolutely dishonest.you probably don't live anywhere near a center.

Hey bro, the house where I live in oak square in Brighton is worth a million. Get out of here. Give me some more information or take your elitist nonsense elsewhere good lord.

I mean seriously that's laughable. You can't get a one bedroom for 1k. You're either a liar or are too clueless about neighborhoods where your elitist family lives.
My son lives in downtown Chicago, I live just outside the city. I overlooked "coastal" in the post to which I was responding. However, Chicago is the country's third largest city, substantially bigger than Boston with a larger and more diverse job market.

Old 08-07-2016, 04:12 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,305,642 times
Quote:
My son lives in downtown Chicago, I live just outside the city. I overlooked "coastal" in the post to which I was responding. However, Chicago is the country's third largest city, substantially bigger than Boston with a larger and more diverse job market.
Where does your son live in downtown Chicago, specifically what is the building? A friend who works in downtown Chicago rents nearby his office and is looking for a condo, and the rents and prices you report are much lower than he has described.

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...o-rent-trends/

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...r-chicago-1970

Downtown rents in Q1 were reportedly $2.98/sq. ft. for Class A apartment buildings and $2.52/sq. ft. for Class B buildings.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ment-landlords

I'm certain there are some very cheap condo prices in less desirable Chicago neighborhoods. Perhaps $300-400k for a cheap 2BR condo seems more realistic.

Chicago IL Condos & Apartments For Sale - 5,601 Listings | Zillow

Old 08-07-2016, 06:36 PM

Not buying the Chicago prices unless there's something about the place that's especially crappy.

You cannot get a one bedroom anywhere in Boston NYC or DC for 1k. Let alone in the center. Larry look up real estate prices in back bay, beacon hill, north end. Yes we are indeed talking 5-10 million. This is common knowledge too.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:18 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,140,855 times
$1,000 in downtown Chicago? Which neighborhood? It would have to be somewhere south of Roosevelt or west of the river -- which, of course, is a stretch to call "downtown."

Old 08-08-2016, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Where does your son live in downtown Chicago, specifically what is the building? A friend who works in downtown Chicago rents nearby his office and is looking for a condo, and the rents and prices you report are much lower than he has described.

https://www.rentjungle.com/average-r...o-rent-trends/

https://www.dnainfo.com/chicago/2016...r-chicago-1970

Downtown rents in Q1 were reportedly $2.98/sq. ft. for Class A apartment buildings and $2.52/sq. ft. for Class B buildings.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...ment-landlords

I'm certain there are some very cheap condo prices in less desirable Chicago neighborhoods. Perhaps $300-400k for a cheap 2BR condo seems more realistic.

Chicago IL Condos & Apartments For Sale - 5,601 Listings | Zillow
I am not going to publish my son's address. He lives in a 2nd floor walkup in an upscale neighborhood on the Brown Line about 15 minutes north of the Loop. He looked for a low priced deal where he could put some work into the apartment. The building has some downsides; my point is that young people with relatively little money can find bargains even in the best areas; if you are trying to save money, you don't just waltz into a high-rise and announce your willingness to pay the market rate. Comparable apartments in great shape are going for $1500/month or $300K on his block.

Old 08-08-2016, 08:31 AM

Quote:
I am not going to publish my son's address. He lives in a 2nd floor walkup in an upscale neighborhood on the Brown Line about 15 minutes north of the Loop. He looked for a low priced deal where he could put some work into the apartment. The building has some downsides; my point is that young people with relatively little money can find bargains even in the best areas; if you are trying to save money, you don't just waltz into a high-rise and announce your willingness to pay the market rate. Comparable apartments in great shape are going for $1500/month or $300K on his block.
No, you really can't find bargains in "the best areas." You can find bargains in some decent areas sure, but we were talking about the centers of cities. Your son doesn't live in the center of Chicago, so I'm not sure what your point is.

You couldn't provide a subway station for reference? In Boston at least, you could be only 5 minutes apart on the Red Line or Orange line, but that could make a huge difference in quality of the area. GIANT difference between living near Back Bay orange line station vs. Ruggles Orange line station. Only a mile apart too. If you live near Back Bay, you can say you live in the "center". Nobody would consider Ruggles the "center".

By the way, Chicago is hardly what most people think of when talking about elitist cities.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:28 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,271,738 times
Quote:
15 minutes north of the Loop? Well, that explains it, then. Your son does not live in "downtown" Chicago (despite the tendency of many suburbanites to label everything within the Chicago city limits as "downtown"). Not even close.

Old 08-08-2016, 02:32 PM

4,068 posts, read 7,271,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
By the way, Chicago is hardly what most people think of when talking about elitist cities.
If you split everything from downtown through the mid-North Side (east of the river) off from the rest of Chicago, you'd certainly have an "elitist" city by any standard... with a total population bigger than the entire city of Cleveland.

Just sayin'.

Old 08-08-2016, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
If you split everything from downtown through the mid-North Side (east of the river) off from the rest of Chicago, you'd certainly have an "elitist" city by any standard... with a total population bigger than the entire city of Cleveland.

Just sayin'.
I know, right? People who have never been to Chicago love to trash it. They are welcome to come and see that it is much more vibrant than Boston with a much larger prosperous area and is more like New York.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland