Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 AM

31 posts, read 31,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
Not all of the East Side is that way. North Collinwood isn't. I'll agree that much of the East Side is worse than Detroit Shorway though.
So do you recommend Detroit Shoreway, Tremont or Ohio city? Is it safe to bicycle to downtown in most of these areas. Im not worried about getting my bike stolen, will use an old bike. But more about violent crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 10:54 AM

816 posts, read 1,394,851 times
Quote:
Not all of the East Side is that way. North Collinwood isn't. I'll agree that much of the East Side is worse than Detroit Shorway though.
North Collinwood, Asiatown, and UC are the only decent neighborhoods on the east side. The rest is FUBAR pretty much.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:58 AM

3,412 posts, read 5,121,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander216 View Post
North Collinwood, Asiatown, and UC are the only decent neighborhoods on the east side. The rest is FUBAR pretty much.
Larchmere/Shaker Square is alright; Little Italy is good (I'm assuming you were including that with UC, but it is its own neighborhood), and parts of Slavic Village still have a chance.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesantos23 View Post
So do you recommend Detroit Shoreway, Tremont or Ohio city? Is it safe to bicycle to downtown in most of these areas. Im not worried about getting my bike stolen, will use an old bike. But more about violent crime.
I don't think I'd be too concerned about violent crime; but you do need to use city-smarts. It's not like the suburbs. I.e. be vigilant, keep your eyes on your surroundings, stay in well-lit, populated areas at night, etc. If you don't know how to live in a city, and you're not particularly vigilant or cautious by nature, I wouldn't recommend moving to these areas. Cities by their nature are home to people of all different stripes, including rich, as well as poor and middle class, average folks as well as criminals, mentally ill, homeless, etc. This is what makes cities more dangerous and challenging than the suburbs. It's also what gives cities their rich texture and vibrancy. One should seriously consider if they can handle the challenges of an urban environment before considering moving to one.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:42 AM

39 posts, read 42,853 times
^ I respectfully disagree...I know plenty of people with suburban upbringings that are adjusting to city life quite fine. Your way of thinking is the same mentality that has held Cleveland (and other cities) back for decades. Senseless fear-mongering needs to stop.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:14 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,432,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivinglargeinDC View Post
^ I respectfully disagree...I know plenty of people with suburban upbringings that are adjusting to city life quite fine. Your way of thinking is the same mentality that has held Cleveland (and other cities) back for decades. Senseless fear-mongering needs to stop.
I tend to agree. Established city neighborhoods are safe and you don't have to be constantly looking over your shoulder. Cleverfield's advice sounds more accurate for the still developing Neighborhoods though. Where I live now I don't think twice about my personal safety (sometimes wary of property crime though, due to having had something stolen last year, albeit once). But if I lived in north collinwood, despite its great strides, I'd be a little more vigilant too, just due to the fact that the areas around it are some of the worst in Cleveland.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:39 PM

816 posts, read 1,394,851 times
Quote:
Larchmere/Shaker Square is alright; Little Italy is good (I'm assuming you were including that with UC, but it is its own neighborhood), and parts of Slavic Village still have a chance.
Whoops I forgot Shaker Square. That is a good area too. And yea I was including Little Italy with UC. I'd like to think Slavic Village has a chance, but deep down I just think it's too far gone.

Old 08-17-2015, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
I tend to agree. Established city neighborhoods are safe and you don't have to be constantly looking over your shoulder. Cleverfield's advice sounds more accurate for the still developing Neighborhoods though. Where I live now I don't think twice about my personal safety (sometimes wary of property crime though, due to having had something stolen last year, albeit once). But if I lived in north collinwood, despite its great strides, I'd be a little more vigilant too, just due to the fact that the areas around it are some of the worst in Cleveland.

I'd give this advice to people living in Ohio City and Tremont as well. Those areas are similarly surrounded by higher crime areas (Clark-Fulton, Dennison, West Blvd/Cudell), and have projects and low-income, high crime areas within their borders. I don't think it's bad to tell people to be vigilant. City living requires a different mentality than suburban living; and precisely the things that makes city living more interesting--it's diversity and density, are the things that makes it more dangerous. This is the reality. I am not telling people they shouldn't move to the city, just that they should be aware of the risks inherent to that environment, and should weigh that against their desire to move to a city.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I watched a show once where a guy in a posh neighborhood of San Francisco kept getting his bike stolen out of his garage. He would leave the door unlocked, and had no alarm system. That might work for you in the suburbs, but in a city, you need to take different precautions. I would never have a house without an alarm system in any urban area, but I wouldn't in most suburbs. Why? because an urban environment is not like a suburban one.

Also, I disagree with you about North Collinwood being surrounded by some of the worst neighborhoods. I don't think South Collinwood, Euclid, and Bratenahl (the 3 places surrounding NC) are that bad, South Collinwood being the worst of the 3, but still not as bad as Glenville, Kinsman, Hough, or East Cleveland.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:13 PM

39 posts, read 42,853 times
^ Do you even live in a city? Or are you basing this all of this off of CSI and other TV shows? Once again, mid-westerners perceptions towards cities are so very odd to me. I want my kids to grow up knowing both poor and rich individuals.

According to recent articles posted on cleveland.com, it sounds like you need to lock your stuff up no matter where you live....

Olmsted Township police working to identify suspects from thefts from cars | cleveland.com

Last edited by LivinglargeinDC; 08-17-2015 at 05:30 PM..

Old 08-17-2015, 05:33 PM

Quote:
^ Do you even live in a city? Or are you basing this all off of tv shows? Once again, mid-westerners perceptions towards cities are so very odd to me. I want my kids to grow up knowing both and rich individuals.

According to recent articles posted on cleveland.com, it sounds like you need to lock your stuff up no matter where you live....

Olmsted Township police working to identify suspects from thefts from cars | cleveland.com
I do live in a city, the North Collinwood neighborhood, on the East Side of Cleveland to be specific, and I support living in cities, and enjoy living in diverse communities. I could never consider moving to a bland suburb. That doesn't mean one doesn't have to be more careful in a city than they do in the suburbs. That doesn't mean that you can't be safe in a city, just that you need to approach things differently; it's a different environment, and that means you have to adapt to it.

If you moved from the city to the country, or the suburbs I would warn you about other things. In the country you might have to worry more about wild animals, or making sure your well pumps and sanitary systems worked. Maybe the speed limits are higher and there are no streetlights. There are dangers anywhere you live, and you have to adapt to them. I maintain that a kid who lived in the suburbs all their life and wants to move to the city needs to educate themselves about the risks, and take precautions accordingly. I'm not afraid of cities; but I'm not going to pretend that there aren't precautions you have to take in a large city -- and this is true of any large city, anywhere in the world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland