U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 07:04 PM

1,842 posts, read 2,432,613 times

Advertisements

The best fanbases in baseball
Ranked 27th best fan base...
I remember the days in the 1990s going to the Jake and the place was rocking, bars were hopping. Walk of HRs, sell outs. Then the Dolans bought the Indians and they haven't done crap. It seems that the Tribe following gets worse each generation. The Cavs have had recent success and with LJ they continue to have strong following. Cleveland is a football town and amazingly we all still support the Browns even with the poor record since their return. Can't wait to see them do something in playoffs. I held my PSLs for almost 30 years but finally gave them up last year. I ran out of patience but living 500 miles away probably didn't help..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 08:20 AM

132 posts, read 63,649 times
Judging fan bases solely on ballpark attendance is not the best way to do it, in my opinion. For example, if you look at tv ratings, the Indians are much more towards the front of the pack.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:34 AM

1,258 posts, read 455,390 times
The Indians have perhaps the smallest effective market in the majors, given Pittsburgh, Detroit inroads into the Toledo market because of proximity and their long-time Mud Hens AAA affiliate, and the Reds strong popularity in central Ohio.

The Browns face a similar challenge, but have a much lower season seating capacity given fewer home games and the NFL's much equitable distribution of revenues than MLB.

With no NBA teams in Pittsburgh and Cincinnati, and a currently inferior product in Detroit, the Cavs are the big winner in effective market size.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:32 AM

2,993 posts, read 2,509,391 times
Well, hate to say it, but baseball is losing popularity with every new generation. High school kids and younger these days are much more into football and basketball, and lacrosse even

This is not only a tribe problem. Even cities with big baseball fans like St. Louis and Boston will eventually have to deal with this.

But to be fair,not here are still tons of baseballnfansnout there, and they still live in northeast Ohio too. One of the big differences between now and the 90s was that the tribe won all the time. If the Indians were winning 95-100 games a year and winning the central, the fans would find their way back down to Carnegie and Ontario.

Old 08-17-2015, 10:35 AM

1,366 posts, read 2,312,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Well, hate to say it, but baseball is losing popularity with every new generation. High school kids and younger these days are much more into football and basketball, and lacrosse even

This is not only a tribe problem. Even cities with big baseball fans like St. Louis and Boston will eventually have to deal with this.

But to be fair,not here are still tons of baseballnfansnout there, and they still live in northeast Ohio too. One of the big differences between now and the 90s was that the tribe won all the time. If the Indians were winning 95-100 games a year and winning the central, the fans would find their way back down to Carnegie and Ontario.
Agree. Also soccer takes away from football because many people are concerned with injury and concusions.. Also many kids just can't find the strength to break free of the video games and social media.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:00 PM

2,823 posts, read 3,699,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post

I don't think that it's possible for a mid-size market team like the Tribe to have the type of sustained success (~95 wins, multiple playoff appearances in a row, etc.) to really get fans interested again. They had the runs in 2007 and 2012 and those individual seasons did not do enough to get the butts in the seats. I'm not incredibly optimistic about the future of baseball in this town, even though the Tribe has played more seasons of professional ball here than the Browns and Cavaliers combined.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:58 PM

18 posts, read 4,303 times
I think the Tribe will bring a championship here before the Browns.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:51 PM

1,258 posts, read 455,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt8506 View Post
I think the Tribe will bring a championship here before the Browns.
With just a little luck, the Cavs will beat both to the championship brass ring.

Old 08-19-2015, 06:46 PM

11 posts, read 2,498 times
From an outsiders point of view from Buffalo, It seems like many Indians fans are pissed and frustrated at the Dolans for the apparent lack of financial committment to the teams operations.

Meanwhile when you look at the other part of the state in the Cincinnati Reds they had to suffer through Marge Schott, and Carl Lidner, two of the worst owners in MLB (but even Marge Schott won a world series), and then finally Bob Castellini buys the team and replaces the GM, brings in some fresh faces, but most importantly increased payroll to at least the middle of MLB to be more competitive.

But with the Indians, ive always been perplexed by them....it seems like everytime this team appears to "go for it, and get the green light to spend to improve the roster" under the Dolans, it backfires every time.

I think because of that the Dolans are afraid of big money contracts. Personally, if thats the case, then you need to fire the GM who's going after those players and making those botched signings.

They slash payroll in 2003, start over in a ways, and them build up a nice mid 2000s run with 90 win seasons. then the Dolans up the payroll after 2007 to the middle of the pack in MLB and they respond with an 81 win season and then a horrible 2009 season. and before you know it, CC and Lee are gone in back to back seasons

Then we head into the Manny Acta years and finally we arrive at Francona, and a very active offseason.....then they get the green light for Bourn and Swisher, and both those signings again backfire

They get a 92 win season from his team and then they go to 85 wins and now finishing below 500 potentially this year.

At some point, you gotta be willing to clean house with the front office and maybe go in a different direction if your the Dolans.

Old 08-23-2015, 06:07 PM

784 posts, read 354,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clevelander17 View Post
I don't think that it's possible for a mid-size market team like the Tribe to have the type of sustained success (~95 wins, multiple playoff appearances in a row, etc.) to really get fans interested again.
I'm THRILLED someone else besides me refers to Cleveland as MID market and not as SMALL market. Good lord, that bugs me. Now if the Dolans would quit saying it to justify their frugality, maybe we'd compete more.

We are not Kansas City, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2013 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $94,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland