Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2015, 09:21 AM

3,964 posts, read 5,716,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1watertiger View Post
Unfortunately Cleveland will have no trouble making the top 10 deadliest city list based on per capita homicides.
Maybe we need the national guard to help Cleveland, Milwaukee, Baltimore, Detroit, St. Louis, Memphis, Oakland, etc..
Repeat of the 1960's? I don't think that is going to help these cities but instead leave everyone else with the impression that they're out of control on crime and that they forever need federal assistance to prop themselves up. Baltimore might has well go from Charm City to Curse City, Detroit from Motor City to Move Out City, and Cleveland from Mistake on the Lake (which is bad enough to start with) to Mayhem on the Lake, when on all accounts it should be working towards becoming the "Miracle on the Lake". How is Cleveland going to keep up with its efforts to regain population, jobs, and investment then? Besides, I don't think calling in the national guard to maintain control is an inexpensive move either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2015, 10:22 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,316,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Repeat of the 1960's? I don't think that is going to help these cities but instead leave everyone else with the impression that they're out of control on crime and that they forever need federal assistance to prop themselves up. Baltimore might has well go from Charm City to Curse City, Detroit from Motor City to Move Out City, and Cleveland from Mistake on the Lake (which is bad enough to start with) to Mayhem on the Lake, when on all accounts it should be working towards becoming the "Miracle on the Lake". How is Cleveland going to keep up with its efforts to regain population, jobs, and investment then? Besides, I don't think calling in the national guard to maintain control is an inexpensive move either.
Keep in mind that Kasich and the Republicans have gutted the Ohio local government fund, putting city budgets, including for safety forces, under much pressure.

It's interesting that the massively pro-Kasich PD has never done an in-depth analysis of the impact of these local government fund cuts, especially on the safety budgets in crime plagued Cleveland and East Cleveland. The latter can't even afford to purchase new ambulances or fire equipment.

Yet we are spending hundreds of millions on JobsOhio incentives with virtually no public transparency.

Deficient policing makes criminal activity more profitable and prolific.

Some of the contributing factors, as mentioned in other posts, are the result of the poor and underfunded federal responses to the heroin and synthetic marijuana epidemics.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/12/ma...tion.html?_r=0

Last edited by WRnative; 09-20-2015 at 10:57 AM..

Old 09-20-2015, 10:38 AM

2,365 posts, read 4,357,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
I was joking about the national guard.. I agree with you.. This mayhem in some of our cities is going to take efforts on all fronts, especially in the heart of the worst neighborhoods.
Gang wars in Cleveland seems to be a big part in the spike in homicides 2015

Old 09-20-2015, 01:49 PM

3,964 posts, read 5,716,916 times
Multiple shootings in Cleveland on same day of outreach meetings

It's ever more sickening when perpetrators wildly shoot at their targets when young children or other innocent bystanders are around. The police will need the help of the community to capture all of these criminals and if the community refuses to help, then the cycle will repeat all over again.

Old 09-20-2015, 01:58 PM

816 posts, read 1,387,133 times
Two found dead in home on Cleveland's East Side | cleveland.com

More murders....

Man found dead with gunshot wounds under Jeep on Cleveland's East Side | cleveland.com

and another one!

Old 09-20-2015, 04:56 PM

Total now stands at 93 homicides YTD.

Old 09-20-2015, 04:59 PM

Violent weekend in Cleveland sees five people found dead, three others shot | cleveland.com

Wknd recap.. Just crazy

Old 09-20-2015, 05:26 PM

816 posts, read 1,387,133 times
Wow they need to start posting cops at some street corners in the worst areas or something.

Old 09-22-2015, 01:32 PM

236 posts, read 459,993 times
Sadly, this is going on everywhere. I was reading last night that 50 shootings took place in Chicago over the weekend!! 50 shootings!!!!

5 were killed, and 45 were injured by the bullets... Unbelievable....

Old 09-23-2015, 08:03 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,143,842 times
Again, with all the hand wringing in this thread, nobody points out that the crime is concentrated in the same old impoverished areas. Did anyone really expect that the situation would just evaporate? In some years it's a little better and in others a little worse -- i.e., the same as it ever was.

I feel for those who are stuck in those areas, but the feigned disbelief from this group is a bit silly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland