Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 09:08 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,072 times

Advertisements

There are a few cute bungalow style homes in Bay Village. That is probably far enough west of CLE for better air quality.

Good points above by all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2015, 09:09 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Haggardhouseelf, the air quality in West Toledo is actually pretty good. I spent a sabbatical there and did not need the medication I do here in rural SE Ohio. The water is another story. NW Ohio has begun investing in solar (and I suspect that wind has a future there as well), but much of the power there comes from a big nuclear plant.

I enjoyed Eugene when I was there for a conference--but fear that the grass farms would aggravate my hay fever.
Allergies and asthma are some of the reasons I could never live in Eugene. Not everyone has these but for those do, it's not a good place to be most times of the year.

Old 10-31-2015, 05:37 AM

When we were in Dayton for one year, my wife was in bad shape. The doctors told her we were in some kind of valley or ? Basically, if she stayed there, it'd kill her eventually. She was born premature and had pneumonia a few times before the age of 2. It may have been grasses or ? Not sure west CLE is the same deal.

Old 10-31-2015, 06:35 AM

555 posts, read 891,774 times
Teacherdad, the Ohio River Valley (and I would have thought Dayton was far enough away and in a windy enough zone to be safe) has been called "sinus valley" since at least the 1920's, when my father was a boy.

My experience as someone who was born in SE Ohio, grew up near the coast in Florida, and has now lived in SE Ohio for thirty years, is that this is not a great area for anyone with breathing problems. I developed mild asthma in my thirties and battle allergies much of the year. (Loratadine, montelukast, and Flonase are my friends.) I have not spent any significant time in the Cleveland or Dayton areas (just short visits) but noticed a real improvement during my four months in West Toledo. The wind there came from the northwest and seemed to blow any crud eastward. We were also upwind of any particularly dirty industry.

Honestly, even with all that Cuyahoga County has to offer, we are considering Toledo in retirement because of my breathing and the lack of any serious traffic. (And the parks, libraries, and museum would give me all the volunteer gigs I would ever need, even though Cleveland has more.)

Old 11-04-2015, 02:33 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
I enjoyed Eugene when I was there for a conference--but fear that the grass farms would aggravate my hay fever.
Sadly, if grass doesn't like you (or vice versa), Eugene would not be a good place for you certain times of the year for sure. My husband is allergic to cottonwood, and so we had to move to a different area of Eugene because of that. We were close to one of the rivers which run through town when we first arrived, and the cottonwood was really bad along that portion of the river. Every year he would have problems. So when we moved to Eugene the second time (we loved it so much we have lived here twice) we made sure to settle down as far from any cottonwood trees as possible. We're going on two years so far at this location, and so far so good. Plus we worry less about flooding.

I only used the EPA and the ALA websites to compare air quality.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:45 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Allergies and asthma are some of the reasons I could never live in Eugene. Not everyone has these but for those do, it's not a good place to be most times of the year.
I think you are right, Minervah. It is definitely hard in the southern Willamette valley for certain types of allergy sufferers for sure. My son struggled when we lived in Texas. We never did pinpoint exactly what triggered him there but he was on two different types of inhalers and an oral med. He was sick a lot when we lived in Texas. But as soon as we left Texas, he has been fine since. We spent a little over a year in California and he was finally able to stop using the meds and he was fine. I was worried his asthma and allergies would return when we relocated to Eugene, because of how everyone complained. But he has never had any problems here. He has not had a problem since we left Texas 12 years ago. It just all depends on what doesn't set right with you I guess. He's just allergic to Texas, I guess.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:53 PM

Face it, it was Texas.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post

I only used the EPA and the ALA websites to compare air quality.
Those are good, but we have discovered that the ALA site is limited to just ozone and particulates (though particulates are an issue for me).

The place that has been best for my breathing is the Cape Canaveral region of Florida, where my husband grew up, but culturally, it is not a good fit--hardly any walkable neighborhoods.

Old 11-12-2015, 10:13 AM

I have a tour of the Statler Arms on the 5th while I'm there. Lobby area looks very nice. It's mid range price wise...not the East Flats, but location is great.

Taking wife to Natural History Museum- her choice.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:42 PM

Enjoy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland