Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2015, 04:56 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,437,452 times

Advertisements

It's like anything else, ignoramuses who get their information through heresy will either bad mouth or praise a city because they only know what they have read or have seen on TV. Cleveland has gotten some bad press in the past so people jump on the bandwagon and assume the worst.

Likewise other cities are Media darlings and are highly overrated but those who have never been to those places will tell you with the utmost confidence they are the best places to live.

I don't take anyone's opinion of any city unless I know they have spent some time there or better yet, spent some time living there. Cleveland is my third city and I have gotten mixed reactions from people in the first two when I told them I was moving here.

I think as more people visit Cleveland, they will see the good things this city has to offer. Those who don't; their loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 09:08 PM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
It's like anything else, ignoramuses who get their information through heresy will either bad mouth or praise a city because they only know what they have read or have seen on TV. Cleveland has gotten some bad press in the past so people jump on the bandwagon and assume the worst.

Likewise other cities are Media darlings and are highly overrated but those who have never been to those places will tell you with the utmost confidence they are the best places to live.

I don't take anyone's opinion of any city unless I know they have spent some time there or better yet, spent some time living there. Cleveland is my third city and I have gotten mixed reactions from people in the first two when I told them I was moving here.

I think as more people visit Cleveland, they will see the good things this city has to offer. Those who don't; their loss.
Yep.

I strongly recommend visitors and locals to check-out the Solstice Steps at Lakewood Park. The lakefront path section is great and its eastern terminus has an awesome view of downtown, complete with one of those binocular type devices (free).

The Steps are titled toward the northwest and has the most amazing views of the sunset on the lakefront. Prime for the Summer Solstice itself. This is a great new jewel to the area and, of course, Lakewood.

Great brisk day on the lakefront with a reminder of how powerful the lake is. Great to see northeast Ohio reclaiming its lakefront.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:17 PM

869 posts, read 1,277,197 times
I can add I've taken some first time visitors from Portland, OR during this past year and they're already talking about returning for another trip. They had rave reviews and great stories they brought back to the Pacific NW.

My goal to move back to Cleveland when the time is right sometime within the next 1-3 years. My friends who visited with me this year tell me they completely understand.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:43 PM

Another encouraging word, when my family visited me from Toronto last December they were very impressed by what they saw. They had no preconceptions one way or another so they were giving me their honest opinions.

And Toronto is one great city! Now that's one that I would concede bragging rights.

Old 11-07-2015, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usaf_1832 View Post
I can add I've taken some first time visitors from Portland, OR during this past year and they're already talking about returning for another trip. They had rave reviews and great stories they brought back to the Pacific NW.

My goal to move back to Cleveland when the time is right sometime within the next 1-3 years. My friends who visited with me this year tell me they completely understand.
My goal to move back is at least 3 years.

Old 11-07-2015, 10:01 PM

Watching SNL now, just heard a Cleveland put-down...lol. Character has to return home to Cleveland...makes disgusting face complete with a wha-wha...

Old 11-07-2015, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
What reactions did you receive from those cities when you told them that you were from Cleveland?
Cincinnati reactions were pretty much disgust at Cleveland; Chicago reactions were mostly put downs with the Chicago arrogance (''You're from Iowa, right? Me: Uh, no, Ohio. ''Same thing''...eyeroll.) Honestly, New York and Philly reactions are indifferent to positive, especially for folks having recently visited Cleveland. There is the east coast oblivion to anything west of the mountains until one reaches California. At least its not the at times hostile reactions I heard in Chicago and Cincinnati.

Old 11-08-2015, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
Watching SNL now, just heard a Cleveland put-down...lol. Character has to return home to Cleveland...makes disgusting face complete with a wha-wha...
I just consder the source. SNL has degraded itself into a one-trick-cheap-shot show of insipid one liners as opposed to one that used to be funny. wha-wha!

Old 11-09-2015, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I just consder the source. SNL has degraded itself into a one-trick-cheap-shot show of insipid one liners as opposed to one that used to be funny. wha-wha!
I know. Seriously, a Cleveland joke/punch-line in 2015? That's a real stale go-to line.

Old 11-16-2015, 06:42 PM

10 posts, read 14,205 times
I live in Massachusetts and am coming to Cleveland to explore the city. Without exception, people's reaction when I mention my trip is "Why would you want to go there?" Cleveland is seen as boring and/or depressed. Having done my research, I know that the city has some strong points. Plus I like underdogs and experiencing new places.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland