Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 02:25 AM

15 posts, read 19,184 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody! I'd posted a thread previously, but I'm now looking for more advice on whether the residents in greater Cleveland are racist against Asians.

I'm looking to relocate into Greater Cleveland some time next year. I'd considered Broadview Heights, and I'm now adding Parma into my list of shortlisted cities. I've been through city-data and forums, but I still didn't quite get enough information on whether these cities are racist against Asians.

I'm going to be direct in my question: If you live in/around the Parma/Broadview Heights area, will you mind having an Asian as your neighbour?
I'll appreciate blunt answers (don't worry about hurting my feelings).

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 03:07 AM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
I don't live there but will be blunt as you asked: racism against Asians, as in true hatred, is virtually nonexistent in this country. There are prejudicial people who may call Asians "ching-chong" and make stupid comments full of stereotypes, and some Asians are targets for robbery in certain cities due to the perception Asians all have money, but I doubt you'll find any true hostility to your presence anywhere you move. If anything, Asians are "victims" of the "model minority" myth, where they are seen as the ideal foreign/non-white presence...compared to Latinos, black Americans and other groups.

Old 10-26-2015, 05:22 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Gotta agree. Really the worst is just everyone assuming you're Chinese and asking where you're from, and it's mostly out of ignorance than malice. Asian is the fastest growing ethnic group in Cleveland actually.

Old 10-26-2015, 08:38 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
I do live in that area and, no, having an Asian (or any other ethnicity, for that matter) as my neighbor would not concern me in the least.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:45 PM

12 posts, read 13,565 times
LOL @ obviously non-Asian people telling an Asian person there is no racism against them.

Just LOL forever and ever.

Honestly, Parma has a reputation as a bit of a racist suburb, and I don't think it's completely unearned. I would check out Shaker, Cleveland Heights, and Lakewood as they are most diverse suburbs of Cleveland with the most liberal-minded folks. Shaker probably has the largest Asian-American population outside of Asiatown (located near downtown).

Good luck. I hope you don't encounter any jerks.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:52 PM

14,679 posts, read 14,641,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeandsunset View Post
LOL @ obviously non-Asian people telling an Asian person there is no racism against them.

Honestly, Parma has a reputation as a bit of a racist suburb, and I don't think it's completely unearned. I would check out Shaker, Cleveland Heights, and Lakewood as they are most diverse suburbs of Cleveland with the most liberal-minded folks. Shaker probably has the largest Asian-American population outside of Asiatown (located near downtown).

She wants to know if her presence will be resented as an Asian person. Can you honestly say there is anywhere in the US people are hostile towards Asian people? If anything, people want them living in their neighborhoods due to the common perception of Asians being studious, hard-working, and family oriented.

Old 10-27-2015, 05:37 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,442,762 times
Quote:

So how do you know I'm not Asian, again?

Old 10-27-2015, 05:02 PM

50 posts, read 63,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
She wants to know if her presence will be resented as an Asian person. Can you honestly say there is anywhere in the US people are hostile towards Asian people? If anything, people want them living in their neighborhoods due to the common perception of Asians being studious, hard-working, and family oriented.
When I used to live in NYC, I saw plenty of Asians being treated hostilely.

Just because the cops aren't mowing them down every other week doesn't mean there isn't racism against them.

To the OP, I have no direct experience with Parma, but on a whole I think Asians are generally accepted around here.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:58 PM

4,361 posts, read 7,175,378 times
Quote:

Forever and ever...

She asked: If you live in/around the Parma/Broadview Heights area, will you mind having an Asian as your neighbour?

See my direct answer above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
So how do you know I'm not Asian, again?
You type with a funny accent.

Old 11-11-2015, 07:04 PM

15 posts, read 19,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
I don't live there but will be blunt as you asked: racism against Asians, as in true hatred, is virtually nonexistent in this country. There are prejudicial people who may call Asians "ching-chong" and make stupid comments full of stereotypes, and some Asians are targets for robbery in certain cities due to the perception Asians all have money, but I doubt you'll find any true hostility to your presence anywhere you move. If anything, Asians are "victims" of the "model minority" myth, where they are seen as the ideal foreign/non-white presence...compared to Latinos, black Americans and other groups.
That's interesting to hear! I never knew that the Asians were considered the "model minority", but I suppose that's a good thing to be associated with. I never had a problem being called "ching-chong" nor "*****", I'll probably just laugh it off if anybody calls me that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland