Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 09:40 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,146,072 times

Advertisements

She was "into" this summer when we visited- she has cousins her age and they got along very well. Now... she says, "I'm not moving." That's a 6th grader. She may also be thinking, "Not moving right now." Out of my three, she is the traveler.

We took Amtrak this summer to Ohio, drove to Maine, and then back to Ohio and Amtrak back to CA. She is an awesome person to have on the road.

Solon is just like you stated to me. Reminds me of what we call, "white flight" here. I prefer older homes to anything from the 80's. I cry when I see gold plated hardware. HAHA

I know the schools and community center are/is very nice. Lakewood has older homes with the same deal. CLE HTS school's are edgy from what I am told, but area around Coventry is sweet.

Ohio schools are a different and this is not a bad thing. Their standards for math and English are about a year behind the ones we have here- before Common Core. My son was there for 4th grade and basically repeated 3rd. He did NOT have a motivated or inspiring teacher. They actually asked that, "Since he's from CA, can he read?" LOL It was backwards and I'm told not a good representation of most schools. My cousin, who taught in Solon, was flabbergasted and embarrassed. When he came back for fifth grade, he had to catch up in math, especially. Now, after teaching 23 years, this stuff does not bother me. It's more about growth mindsets and grit vs. grades. Locally, we had a Stanford freshman commit suicide 2 years ago and a senior in high school. Both were top, top students. Pressure on these kids is doing absolutely no good. Oops, getting into my soap box arena. Sorry.

I like seasons. When we visited as kids from CA, I would beg my mom to move to Ohio. At that time, it was still in the dark ages. My cousin's friends would flock to her house to see the "CA cousin" because he must be a movie star. It was hilarious! Now, with technology, it's different. Really! When I was in 4th grade, all I saw were Buicks and Fords on the road and obesity. We did not have that here. In school pics, you might have one obese kid in K-6th grade. Now, in CLE, you see modern cars and a young, well educated, fit crowd. Here you have the same but a lot more kids with health issues. We are conditioned to eat.. .shoot, soap box again.

Seasons + cousins + classic homes + affordability + sports + museums + park system + transportation + near water + money spent on schools + more = lower stress and mentally healthier lifestyle.

WSMarket and organic foods do not cost an arm and leg vs. what we pay here. Heck, agriculture from farms in CA cost MORE than buying the same in OHIO. I mean, the same! I have seen CA farm produce at Heinen's and it was less $ than buying here. How is that for crazy! ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2015, 12:13 PM

17 posts, read 38,014 times
My two don't know yet, since it's not set in stone. We expect to get word anytime and will sit them down then. I don't anticipate a good reaction from either of them, but mostly my 6th grader. He had a really hard time when we moved here from Cincinnati in 2013. We actually moved to Cinci from here in 08, but my kids don't remember living here the 1st time. We hoped that moving halfway through the school year would help, but he still had a miserable 1st year. Cried everyday...and he was only in 3rd grade! I know he feels like this is home and that he fits here. Has a really good group of friends and is doing fantastic in his first year of middle school. Has me very worried that things could go downhill with news of a move. Schools are my main concern...we have an excellent school system here and I hate to leave it...it outweighs the negatives of the area (see below). It bothers me to think they could be repeating in OH. I've looked around as best as I can online, but am not finding a true comparable program yet. Here we have AP (called Extended here) and then Double Extended programs along with Traditional programs. It's great because you can be extended in one subject and double extended in another. My 6th grader is currently taking 8th grade LA and 9th grade Math (receiving HS credit). That class, in particular, I worried about all summer...but it's absolute favorite and says he loves that it's challenging. So far I'm finding the AP programs at the districts we are interested in are about 1 year behind what we have now. Not bad, just not great. Here you also have the opportunity to attend any high school in the area through their specialty programs. One school has an amazing BioTech program..another STEM...another IT. I do like that you aren't limited to the HS you are zoned for.
However----I couldn't agree with you more about the pressure. Its one of those things that keeps you up at night-right?! There have been 6-7 suicides in our area since we moved back. Beyond frightening. Here there is a huge amount of pressure on sports. Very competitive. I feel lucky that my kids didn't have an interest in the "hot" sports for the area so we haven't felt a lot of that pressure. It's also an extremely privileged area. We feel the need to constantly reminding our kids that it isn't "real life". It isn't a place we would prefer to raise our kids. We live in a beautiful neighborhood with huge homes and so much to do--just not an accurate depiction of the real world. When we found out we were moving back to this area, it was these issues that had us concerned and that hasn't changed after being here 3 years. For these reasons, we are willing to possibly take a hit on schools for everything we would gain. My husband and I are very anxious for a slower pace of life...and the kind of life that has our kids focusing on family and community and less on being the best and having the best.
Hope that makes sense and doesn't come across as ridiculous.

Old 11-22-2015, 01:47 PM

OMG! I love your views! Can you sit down and talk to my wife? LOL It sounds like your area and mine (93105) are similar. Kids pay college counselors (private) to get them into top colleges.

There are days I say, "That's it! We are getting 3 acres and no Internet!"

We are conditioned to work, work, work. I am up at 4:30 AM every day and bed at 8:00. I don't mind, but I'd rather be busy doing work around my house, than working to pay bills all the time.

With my MA in Education, I can most likely move. I'm 46. At 55, I collect about $3400 for life (If I stay to 62, it doubles, but I could also be dead).

I have read threads here about VERY GOOD private schools. Also, Shaker HTS has many programs for "elevated" students. yes, AP, is big here. My son started college and they told him, "You have about 15 units already from those AP courses). Good because he found it difficult in the first term!

My guess is that no matter the school, your kids will be well adjusted and do well.

I'll be sure to share my wife's thoughts on our winter visit in a few weeks. Another bonus is that my cousins there are super fun and big family types! Here, it's just us 5. Cousins are the best!

Old 11-22-2015, 03:22 PM

17 posts, read 38,014 times
No internet! HA! We have good kids, but I swear I look for ways to ground them from electronics! It's just too much. Far too plugged in all the time. It drives me and my husband crazy.

Yes, very good private schools in Northeast Ohio...I am the product of one myself! I have heard good things about Shaker Hts. I went to JCU for undergrad, so am familiar with the area. Never had a reason to look at the schools though. We did private in Cinci and public here in NoVA. Again, we made both of those decisions based on the quality of the district. That being said, I'm fine with either. I know to some it may be a status thing...I care only about the quality of the education and programs offered. We're easy....or not, some would say!

Cousins!! YES!! I'm from a very large Italian family. I can tell you that it's been depressing, to say the least, to be so far from my extended family. I feel like my kids have been cheated not being in close proximity to grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins galore.

Hoping a visit in Cleveland winter isn't too much of a shock for your wife!!

Old 11-22-2015, 04:39 PM

372 posts, read 593,014 times
We've moved from Bay Area, CA to
Rocky River, Oh then to a rural town outside of Nashville and then back to Rocky River. In all of these very different locales, we ran into
education stressors that kept me up at night worrying. My kids are in 5th and 1st. It's so hard moving with kids. But, it's something they are proud of in a way, too. They've seen a tiny bit more of the world than many kids and it makes them stronger. We focus on the 4 of us and enriching our lives with a wide variety of educational outings to combat the pressures and keeping up with the jones' that happens in any affluent area.

I taught 3rd and 5th in the Bay Area and can tell you that our schools are definitely not behind the schools there. And we are ahead of the schools in TN with expectations. Other than more open ended, project based leaning, I really can't imagine any more that the schools could offer that woud benefit my kids. More diversity would be nice.

The thing that I keep thinking about, is that with all of the AP course and added pressures, is that schools are usually offering what the community has demanded. I am so happy to see a small shift in this in our district. There have been several serious conversations among the community, board of Ed, and admin about student stress. We are starting a mindfullness program in the elementary school and parents are starting to say enough is enough. Change will only happen of we speak up and demand it.

Old 11-22-2015, 04:44 PM

Yep! Our 6th grade teachers years ago gave about 13 page packets per week of homework. Now... it's one page of what the child can do every night for a bit (practice spelling, writing, etc.). Math given separately and reading is #1. I tell parents, "Your child gets more oxygen to the brain and makes more decisions while climbing trees vs. filling out a worksheet."

CityMama and I have communicated a lot and she's a great resource for the area as a mom and teacher!

Old 11-22-2015, 08:01 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teacherdad View Post
I should mention that one of my two companies could relocate and shipping to my east coast customers would drop by about half! I could use the CLE ports to bring in my products at no additional charge.

TowelPros

Teacherdad, I think this is a terribly ridiculous tax law with dire long-term consequences, but it should interest you:

New Ohio budget reduces taxes for small firms

Welcome to the new Texas!

Old 11-22-2015, 08:17 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcualum View Post
My two don't know yet, since it's not set in stone. We expect to get word anytime and will sit them down then. I don't anticipate a good reaction from either of them, but mostly my 6th grader. He had a really hard time when we moved here from Cincinnati in 2013. We actually moved to Cinci from here in 08, but my kids don't remember living here the 1st time. We hoped that moving halfway through the school year would help, but he still had a miserable 1st year. Cried everyday...and he was only in 3rd grade! I know he feels like this is home and that he fits here. Has a really good group of friends and is doing fantastic in his first year of middle school. Has me very worried that things could go downhill with news of a move. Schools are my main concern...we have an excellent school system here and I hate to leave it...it outweighs the negatives of the area (see below). It bothers me to think they could be repeating in OH. I've looked around as best as I can online, but am not finding a true comparable program yet. Here we have AP (called Extended here) and then Double Extended programs along with Traditional programs. It's great because you can be extended in one subject and double extended in another. My 6th grader is currently taking 8th grade LA and 9th grade Math (receiving HS credit). That class, in particular, I worried about all summer...but it's absolute favorite and says he loves that it's challenging. So far I'm finding the AP programs at the districts we are interested in are about 1 year behind what we have now. Not bad, just not great. Here you also have the opportunity to attend any high school in the area through their specialty programs. One school has an amazing BioTech program..another STEM...another IT. I do like that you aren't limited to the HS you are zoned for.
However----I couldn't agree with you more about the pressure. Its one of those things that keeps you up at night-right?! There have been 6-7 suicides in our area since we moved back. Beyond frightening. Here there is a huge amount of pressure on sports. Very competitive. I feel lucky that my kids didn't have an interest in the "hot" sports for the area so we haven't felt a lot of that pressure. It's also an extremely privileged area. We feel the need to constantly reminding our kids that it isn't "real life". It isn't a place we would prefer to raise our kids. We live in a beautiful neighborhood with huge homes and so much to do--just not an accurate depiction of the real world. When we found out we were moving back to this area, it was these issues that had us concerned and that hasn't changed after being here 3 years. For these reasons, we are willing to possibly take a hit on schools for everything we would gain. My husband and I are very anxious for a slower pace of life...and the kind of life that has our kids focusing on family and community and less on being the best and having the best.
Hope that makes sense and doesn't come across as ridiculous.
Something to check out?

Leonard Gelfand STEM Center - Case Western Reserve University

See courses offered here:

http://www.case.edu/ugstudies/pre-co...olars-program/

Case Western is the top-rated national university in Ohio. Perhaps consider easy access to Case Western using Cleveland's relatively robust mass transit system when considering possible residential locations.

Many high schools in Greater Cleveland offer similar programs either with local four-year schools or junior colleges.

Last edited by WRnative; 11-22-2015 at 08:49 PM..

Old 12-02-2015, 04:19 PM

23 posts, read 55,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckeyeAlum View Post
I have been following this post as we also are making a move to NE Ohio from Colorado. The information posted here has been so helpful. The trees and the beauty of the area really stand out to us as it will be hard to leave the mountains and sunshine we see everyday here out West. However with that being said we are looking forward to being closer to family (Peninsula) and my spouse will be traveling to Toronto every month and needs easy access to the airport for national travel. So needless to say NE is where we are looking. I am flying in right after Thanksgiving and have several homes to see. The areas we are looking include homes in the Chagrin Falls District, Kenston Schools, Hudson Schools and Revere in Bath. I haven't heard much about Revere on this site but they "appear" to be as solid as the other districts? How about Highland Local? I am setting up tours for all of these districts as well. Revere really impressed me with their easy going manner and direct phone calls back from the Principals. With 3 kids, and several different learning styles, a good match is of course important.

We have done the subdivision thing multiple times and now looking for property with acreage, that allow for gardens, backyard chickens and possibly a horse. (all of the things we love about our current Colorado home!) I appreciate any advice on more "Rural" living within these districts but several of the properties I am finding seem like true New England Charm with history, big trees and amazing barns. We have lived in 5 different states since college and are thrilled to start our search back in Ohio.

Thanks again to the original poster and all the feedback!

We just moved to Hudson, Ohio from southwest Colorado for all the same reasons. We do miss the mountains/skiing/incline/sunshine, but the space, trees, lakes, parks help ease the pain-welcome back!

Old 12-03-2015, 05:23 AM

2,221 posts, read 4,389,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Teacherdad, I think this is a terribly ridiculous tax law with dire long-term consequences, but it should interest you:

New Ohio budget reduces taxes for small firms

Welcome to the new Texas!
Explain how this is a ridiculous law, it looks like it would reduce taxes for small business. More states should be like Texas unless your in the tax and spend crowd..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland