Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:16 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
Cuyahoga taxes are high for the services provided.
I'm not certain about that.

Metroparks (superb), RTA (superb compared to transit systems in similarly sized cities), sports stadiums, Cuyahoga Arts & Culture subsidies, social services, convention center, etc.

Many of the public school systems are very good. Many cities have excellent city parks and recreation systems.

Cuyahoga Community College also offers great value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyaho...munity_College

The public votes for all of these taxes.

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...llege_tax.html

Last edited by WRnative; 12-18-2015 at 09:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2015, 03:54 AM

8 posts, read 12,221 times
I grew up in NE Ohio, in the little snowbelt town of Chardon, have since moved to Charlotte (about 8 years ago) and thought I wouldn't miss the change in seasons. Wrong! I miss the change in seasons, change in wardrobe, and snow. Yes, I said it, the snow! As in any relocation, there is an adjustment period. I hope you to get enjoy the move and enjoy all that Ohio has to offer. Good luck! And Brecksville is a nice area BTW.

Old 12-19-2015, 07:00 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,145,901 times
Funny, it's going to be about 60 in CLE and here in Santa Barbara on Christmas. Don't remember that happening in my lifetime.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:40 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,418,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbVerrastro View Post
I grew up in NE Ohio, in the little snowbelt town of Chardon, have since moved to Charlotte (about 8 years ago) and thought I wouldn't miss the change in seasons. Wrong! I miss the change in seasons, change in wardrobe, and snow. Yes, I said it, the snow! As in any relocation, there is an adjustment period. I hope you to get enjoy the move and enjoy all that Ohio has to offer. Good luck! And Brecksville is a nice area BTW.

Barb, I'm certain Chardon, the snow capital of Ohio, has received a little more snow this year, but today is the first time this year that I've considered using a shovel in Lake County north of Chardon. We're stuck under a "lake effect" snow squall and might get 3-4 inches total. However, a high in the 40s is expected tomorrow and even into the 50s next week. So, if I shovel, it only will be for fun. In normal winters, when the temperature rarely exceeds freezing, we shovel to keep the accumulated snow from becoming a major obstacle. Those who don't keep up with it, inevitably end up stuck in their driveways at some point, with much snow converted to ice.

Before today, Chardon apparently has received only 4 inches of snow this year! "Hilltoppers" are proud of their snow history and carefully record it.

http://www.chardon.cc/154/Snowfall

Late December "first" significant snows have been the norm for the last several years, except for last year when there were a couple heavy snows in November, which was the norm when I was a kid. I even remember significant snows on Halloween, as late as the early 80s, and have the video to prove it.

Chardon December Weather 2015 - AccuWeather Forecast for OH 44024

Chardon January Weather 2016 - AccuWeather Forecast for OH 44024

What's especially unprecedented this year is the warmth, with several new high temperature records being set. I wonder if Alpine Valley or Brandywine, Cleveland's downhill skiing and tubing areas, will go out of business this year.

Chardon December Weather 2015 - AccuWeather Forecast for OH 44024

There is a very strong El Nino this year, but climate change definitely is taking hold in northern Ohio. Last winter, and even the winter before that were colder than our recent winters, but even those two winters were much less severe than what we experienced in the past, such as in the late 70s. The younger generations of Clevelanders would be shocked and appalled if they ever experienced an "old-fashioned" winter. I remember, several days after the "Great Blizzard of 1978" driving on a perfectly dry state route near Mansfield, when suddenly the road disappeared under a 30-foot drift that had filled a wide gully through which the road passed. I remember I-90 through Ashtabula County being covered by solid ice, so much so that even the trucks were driving on the shoulders. It was both a pain and exhilarating.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Blizzard_of_1978

Revisiting the Blizzard of '78: Ohio's worst winter storm (video) | cleveland.com

Notice from the first words of this newcast, how Clevelanders used to anticipate several major blizzards each snow season as well as more "minor" (by snowbelt region standards) snowfalls.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6RcU5ch8vQ

It's funny how today with our first actionable snow event, the entire snow industry (plows, etc.) are out dealing with very little snow trying to justify their existence.

The NOAA's Climate Prediction Center, which many months ago accurately (to date) predicted this warm winter, now expects a blistering hot summer, especially in the larger New England area.

Climate Prediction Center - Seasonal Outlook

Anyway, if you ever move back to Chardon, don't expect to find the winters of the past, at least year-in, year-out.

Last edited by WRnative; 12-19-2015 at 10:02 AM..

Old 12-19-2015, 02:46 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
MamaBear, don't listen to the naysayers. In the immortal words of the great poet, Madonna just remember;

“Poor is the man whose pleasure depends on the permission of another.”

Old 12-19-2015, 06:03 PM

555 posts, read 891,660 times
Minervah, I hope someday we can meet in person.

Old 12-19-2015, 09:18 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,431,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebek56 View Post
Minervah, I hope someday we can meet in person.
I would like that too.

Old 12-20-2015, 08:36 AM

2,254 posts, read 2,734,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
I'm not certain about that.

Metroparks (superb), RTA (superb compared to transit systems in similarly sized cities), sports stadiums, Cuyahoga Arts & Culture subsidies, social services, convention center, etc.

Many of the public school systems are very good. Many cities have excellent city parks and recreation systems.

Cuyahoga Community College also offers great value.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuyaho...munity_College

The public votes for all of these taxes.

Cuyahoga Community College tax increase is approved | cleveland.com
Don't forget the library system. Absolutely fantastic.

I've lived all over the US. Taxes in Ohio and Cuyahoga county are no where near the top. Even states that would seem to be 'cheap' because they have no income tax, like New Hampshire and Washington, have other taxes that make them more expensive. All this focus on taxes seems a fools errand to me. You get what you pay for. Part of the reason why I am never going to live in the south again.

Old 12-20-2015, 05:41 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
MamaBear, don't listen to the naysayers. In the immortal words of the great poet, Madonna just remember;

“Poor is the man whose pleasure depends on the permission of another.”

Apparently Madonna's pleasure was had without the permission of Michael Jordan.

According to Johnny Bach:

“You should have seen the girls Pippen had waiting for him everywhere we went. Madonna used to pick him up in a limo with a hot tub every time we went to LA. Michael used to tell Madonna he could satisfy her better, to which Madonna would tell him ‘not a chance.'

This made MJ livid. He would always put the moves on Madonna but she would shoot him down in favor of Pippen.

Source: 23 Incredible Michael Jordan Stories That Prove He's A Champion Of Scumbags As Well

Old 12-21-2015, 04:35 AM
Yac

6,051 posts, read 7,724,162 times
While all this is very interesting, it's hardly on topic is it ?
Yac.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland