Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2015, 06:00 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
We've haven't had a snow storm yet this year, and an shovable storm isn't in the long-range forecast for December.

Cleveland December Weather 2015 - AccuWeather Forecast for OH 44113

Of course, this is an exceptional winter due to the Godzilla El Nino.

La Ninas follow El Ninos, and the El Nino has been shearing hurricanes. Some forecasters expect a record hurricane season in 2016 or 2017 as La Ninas are longer-lasting than El Ninos and are conducive to hurricane development and landfall and as powerful La Ninas often follow powerful El Ninos. We only deal with the remnants of hurricanes in northeast Ohio.

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...rricane-season

Just tell everyone you're getting out while the getting is good!

Have you visited Brecksville and Greater Cleveland yet? When would the move take place?
Wait a minute. Is this what cold is in Ohio? Wow-I could certainly deal with that! How is the rest of winter? When does it end for you? We usually go through March, sometimes later. It gets old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2015, 07:22 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by meo92953 View Post
Wait a minute. Is this what cold is in Ohio? Wow-I could certainly deal with that! How is the rest of winter? When does it end for you? We usually go through March, sometimes later. It gets old.
You can see individual months in the right margin.

https://weatherspark.com/averages/29...-United-States

Old 12-12-2015, 07:59 PM

7,042 posts, read 6,292,162 times
This city is going high on my list. I was looking at Tennessee but, I feel the summer heat may be too much. Where I move is going to be very important as I plan on making it my last move. I just found out that a friend from school, who I lost contact with lives in West Virgini. So now I'm focusing more on Ohio & West Virginia.

Cleveland intrigues me but so does the southern part of the state. Obviously I will have to make a road trip to embrace both sides. I've been saving for these trips and look forward to the adventure.

Old 12-13-2015, 04:29 AM

555 posts, read 892,189 times
meo92953, if you prefer urban amenities, southern Ohio (or at least southeast Ohio, the part closest to West Virginia) is not for you. I have lived here for more than thirty years: the region is beautiful, the people are friendly, the cost of living is reasonable, and the pace of life is slow, but it is a minimum of ninety minutes from anything resembling a city.

The area also has air quality problems, and with the rise in fracking, there is a danger of water contamination and increased earthquake activity.

Old 12-14-2015, 08:11 AM

12 posts, read 12,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Peasant View Post
Cleveland gets hurricanes? It's not even on the East Coast ! Your post makes absolutely no sense.
Did I say Cleveland gets hurricanes? Great Lakes and Northeast is expected to be warmer than average, overall due to el Nino hurricane. Are you claiming that the warm Dec weather that you are experiencing in Cleveland isn't due to el Nino?!? Here you go:

http://www.weather.com/storms/winter...-2016-noaa-wsi

Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Sounds like to me, you hate living here (correct me if I'm wrong). If it's that bad for you, why don't or why didn't you ever move somewhere else?
Why can't we just accept that maybe the thing that saves Cleveland and makes many people willing to tolerate the cold (on ave) winters is the lower cost of living? As stated, the crap that others are giving to the TC about a move to NE Ohio could very well be justified. Just because we live here doesn't mean we need to act like a bunch of homers which in turn diminishes any credibility.

Old 12-14-2015, 09:31 AM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440Cleveland View Post
Did I say Cleveland gets hurricanes? Great Lakes and Northeast is expected to be warmer than average, overall due to el Nino hurricane. Are you claiming that the warm Dec weather that you are experiencing in Cleveland isn't due to el Nino?!? Here you go:

Why can't we just accept that maybe the thing that saves Cleveland and makes many people willing to tolerate the cold (on ave) winters is the lower cost of living? As stated, the crap that others are giving to the TC about a move to NE Ohio could very well be justified. Just because we live here doesn't mean we need to act like a bunch of homers which in turn diminishes any credibility.

Everybody doesn't feel the way you do. There are people living here because they actually love the city. There are people who do like cold weather. I'm not a homer, I see the negative things in Cleveland that needs to change, but I just don't focus on the negative like you do. I also see the positive things, and some of those same things are in the "desirable places" that you speak about. Also, you seem to hate living here because I saw your previous posts and you posted were some tacky, negative YouTube videos about Cleveland. You're trying to discourage people from moving here. If you hate it here so much, why don't you move? How is it well justified that people give other people crap about a move to NE Ohio?

Old 12-14-2015, 08:24 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,768,214 times
Quote:

Ha! Where did you study about climate and weather? Since when was El Nino a hurricane? El Nino is an oscillation, an irregular change in climate that happens once every few years. Check your own link you sent me because nowhere does it even imply that El Nino is a hurricane. Andrew was a hurricane, Irene was a hurricane, Sandy was a hurricane. I don't recall any of these storms hitting Cleveland or anywhere in the Midwest. Cleveland might get leftovers of hurricanes at which they are simply tropical depressions that bring a lot of rain but you can never tell me Cleveland is Atlanta or Miami.

I am well aware that El Nino is causing all of this unusually warm weather up here in the Northeast, it's 55 degrees here in Boston as I type when it should be 35 degrees this time of the year. Perhaps the O.P. is trying to move away from a region that is prone to severe hurricanes don't you think? Snowstorms, blizzards, and noreasters are not the same as hurricanes.

Old 12-14-2015, 10:20 PM

12 posts, read 12,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCongress83216 View Post
Everybody doesn't feel the way you do. There are people living here because they actually love the city. There are people who do like cold weather. I'm not a homer, I see the negative things in Cleveland that needs to change, but I just don't focus on the negative like you do. I also see the positive things, and some of those same things are in the "desirable places" that you speak about. Also, you seem to hate living here because I saw your previous posts and you posted were some tacky, negative YouTube videos about Cleveland. You're trying to discourage people from moving here. If you hate it here so much, why don't you move? How is it well justified that people give other people crap about a move to NE Ohio?
Look, I may be new to these forums but I've lived here in Cleveland long enough to know that when people ask about the place, it's best to provide both the good and the bad. This forum is called "city-data" dot com, not "come live here since I live here" dot com. Not everyone feels the way you do. Many people here don't like the cold but do enjoy the lower cost of living. I mention that the place is cold, and provide some videos that others have made showing winter driving condition examples. If you can't handle negative comments about where you live in addition to the positive comments, then maybe you should move? I don't take offsense to someone saying that they shouldn't move to Cleveland just because I live here. I will focus both on the negative and the positive instead of just focusing on the positive.

Old 12-15-2015, 07:25 PM

1,886 posts, read 1,442,108 times
Quote:
Look, I may be new to these forums but I've lived here in Cleveland long enough to know that when people ask about the place, it's best to provide both the good and the bad. This forum is called "city-data" dot com, not "come live here since I live here" dot com. Not everyone feels the way you do. Many people here don't like the cold but do enjoy the lower cost of living. I mention that the place is cold, and provide some videos that others have made showing winter driving condition examples. If you can't handle negative comments about where you live in addition to the positive comments, then maybe you should move? I don't take offsense to someone saying that they shouldn't move to Cleveland just because I live here. I will focus both on the negative and the positive instead of just focusing on the positive.

I agree that you're suppose to talk about the pros and cons about things. But, you also have to bring the balance as well. The stuff you've posted so far hasn't offered any balance. Your posts have all been negative. You only posted all the negative YouTube videos about Cleveland (i.e. "Cleveland Hastily Tourism" video) and you've only said the negative things about Cleveland. You didn't post anything positive with your comments or videos to balance it. If you would've posted both then fine but you haven't. I can handle negative comments just fine and I don't need to move anywhere else. I've been on this site longer than you and I've read the negative things about the city. Some things I agreed with, other things I disagreed with. In fact, I created a post on the pros and cons of Cleveland (I'll send you the link). I know people who complain about the cold. We live in the Midwest the weather is something we can't control. I want to worry about things that we can control to make the city better.

Here's the link to my post:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/cleve...-city-but.html

Old 12-16-2015, 09:16 AM

152 posts, read 174,148 times
Kind of confused about lower cost of living in the Cleveland area. Compared to where I live in the south and have lived in serveral other southern states, propery taxes are double sometimes triple up in NE Ohio than what we have been paying in the South. I have no idea how utilities would compare. Daycare/after-school programs seem more expensive, but I think daycare is expensive everywhere, I just have a really good deal with who my kids go to now. But yes, compared to places out West and the New England states I can see where NE Ohio would come up cheaper.

Also, I am intrigued as to what people do for a living in the Brecksville (OH) area, have you looked up the median household income?? !!!! According to Wixipedia....

"The median income for a household in the city was $88,358, and the median income for a family was $104,347. Males had a median income of $65,382 versus $39,912 for females. The per capita income for the city was $37,838. About 1.8% of families and 2.5% of the population were below the poverty line, including 2.8% of those under age 18 and 4.6% of those age 65 or over."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland