Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2015, 09:05 AM

152 posts, read 173,750 times

Advertisements

Hubby had interview for said job in the Brecksville area and we are waiting to hear back if he got it. People(mainly family) are always like, "why you moving there, it's so cold." Evidently it's a sin to live anywhere it's cold. Mother-in-law says she won't visit in winter, which is understandable. Yes, I know it's cold up there, I grew up in Northern Indiana, I know what mid-west winters are like. I know it's going to be a lot colder than where we live in the south, big whoop. I don't think weather should be a factor as to deciding if you move or not. I have read the weather threads related to this area and honestly it does concern me a bit. My ideal weather is Tennessee, Virginia, and North Carolina. Summers are hot, but not like the deep south, and it snows for a day, looks pretty, and then it melts. It's just not in the cards for us right now to live exactly where we want until hubby retires in 10-15 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2015, 10:02 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,961,214 times
OP, where are you moving from? As to those giving you crap about moving here! Tell them to stick it! Yes it gets cold here! I'll be the first to tell you that I hate the cold weather, but keep in mind from June to September we average more days of wall to wall sunshine than locations in the Sun Belt states. Furthermore, there are a ton of things to do in this region, be it nightlife, restaurants, museums, and nature.

As for Brecksville... it's a very nice suburb.

Old 12-01-2015, 10:54 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,363,725 times
We've haven't had a snow storm yet this year, and an shovable storm isn't in the long-range forecast for December.

Cleveland December Weather 2015 - AccuWeather Forecast for OH 44113

Of course, this is an exceptional winter due to the Godzilla El Nino.

La Ninas follow El Ninos, and the El Nino has been shearing hurricanes. Some forecasters expect a record hurricane season in 2016 or 2017 as La Ninas are longer-lasting than El Ninos and are conducive to hurricane development and landfall and as powerful La Ninas often follow powerful El Ninos. We only deal with the remnants of hurricanes in northeast Ohio.

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...rricane-season

Just tell everyone you're getting out while the getting is good!

Have you visited Brecksville and Greater Cleveland yet? When would the move take place?

Old 12-01-2015, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
OP, where are you moving from? As to those giving you crap about moving here! Tell them to stick it! Yes it gets cold here! I'll be the first to tell you that I hate the cold weather, but keep in mind from June to September we average more days of wall to wall sunshine than locations in the Sun Belt states. Furthermore, there are a ton of things to do in this region, be it nightlife, restaurants, museums, and nature.

As for Brecksville... it's a very nice suburb.

We are in Georgia. I love the four seasons, which we don't get down here!

Old 12-01-2015, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
We've haven't had a snow storm yet this year, and an shovable storm isn't in the long-range forecast for December.

Cleveland December Weather 2015 - AccuWeather Forecast for OH 44113

Of course, this is an exceptional winter due to the Godzilla El Nino.

La Ninas follow El Ninos, and the El Nino has been shearing hurricanes. Some forecasters expect a record hurricane season in 2016 or 2017 as La Ninas are longer-lasting than El Ninos and are conducive to hurricane development and landfall and as powerful La Ninas often follow powerful El Ninos. We only deal with the remnants of hurricanes in northeast Ohio.

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...rricane-season

Just tell everyone you're getting out while the getting is good!

Have you visited Brecksville and Greater Cleveland yet? When would the move take place?

Hubby was in Brecksville back in the spring due to work obligations. The move would take place in January or February, right in the middle of winter! LOL

Old 12-01-2015, 11:16 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,644,866 times
I lived in NE Ohio (Akron) for a few years and although I didn't enjoy the winters, I wouldn't blink an eye if I had to move back. Nice area to be honest with you. I am sure those that are griping about your move are simply venting some frustration because you are moving away... The best thing you can do is make the best of it.. I bet you have will have a great time living there..

Old 12-01-2015, 01:23 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,363,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBear999 View Post
Hubby was in Brecksville back in the spring due to work obligations. The move would take place in January or February, right in the middle of winter! LOL
Make certain that neither you nor your husband help move boxes, etc. from outside into the house. You won't have your "ice sense" yet, and a fall can have miserable consequences. And make certain the movers use tarps indoors, especially if walkways and driveways are heavily salted (or otherwise treated) to improve safety, a good idea for the actual moving date. From experience.

Maybe you'll get here in time for a Kurent welcome to Cleveland party!

Cleveland Kurentovanje

Old 12-01-2015, 01:32 PM

372 posts, read 591,507 times
We moved back late January in 2013 and it was a freak 60• day!

Old 12-03-2015, 12:02 PM

3,343 posts, read 10,914,349 times
I think it's funny how so many people in the south make a big deal about us getting snow and it being cold. I prefer 4 seasons. I hate the heat, so northeast Ohio is perfect. My brother lives in coastal NC and the weather is miserable there (for me) May-September. Their winter is like our spring, lots of rain and cool temps, no thanks.

I suppose many from the south forget about the great migration and southerners moving north for good paying jobs during the middle of the last century. Those southerners didn't seem to mind. lol

Old 12-03-2015, 01:03 PM

2,221 posts, read 4,379,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CortlandGirl79 View Post
I think it's funny how so many people in the south make a big deal about us getting snow and it being cold. I prefer 4 seasons. I hate the heat, so northeast Ohio is perfect. My brother lives in coastal NC and the weather is miserable there (for me) May-September. Their winter is like our spring, lots of rain and cool temps, no thanks.

I suppose many from the south forget about the great migration and southerners moving north for good paying jobs during the middle of the last century. Those southerners didn't seem to mind. lol

those folks in the South complaining about the winter up north are actually the large migration of northerners (to the south) that made the decision to get out of that weather..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland