Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2015, 12:03 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westEast2014 View Post
A depressing city.... that's all I could say being here just one day. My impression might change later hopefully.
One day? Just pack it up and leave now. It's only gonna get worse if you can't deal with the 1st day. Why did you take the job? Deal with it then; trust me, your co-workers don't want to hear about how enlightened the west coast or wherever you're from is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2015, 12:06 AM

4,823 posts, read 4,939,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
Cleveland's got a long way to go, certainly, but having moved back this past September after 20 years away, I'm observing that the city appears to be on a significant upswing.

(In some parts of town more than in others, of course.)
Like many post-industrial cities; some areas recovering, some not.

Old 12-29-2015, 07:04 AM

9 posts, read 11,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamms View Post
One day? Just pack it up and leave now. It's only gonna get worse if you can't deal with the 1st day. Why did you take the job? Deal with it then; trust me, your co-workers don't want to hear about how enlightened the west coast or wherever you're from is.
Leave my personal life out of it. And refrain from personal attacks. I don't care wherever you're from, there is nothing I want to learn from you.

You have been reported.

Last edited by westEast2014; 12-29-2015 at 07:30 AM..

Old 12-29-2015, 07:31 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Leave my personal life out of it. And refrain from personal attacks. I don't care wherever you're from, there is nothing I want to learn from you.

You have been reported.
Wasn't really a personal attack.

Is there anything specific you want to know about CLE to get out and see it and learn? Or just content to trash it after one day?

Old 12-29-2015, 07:35 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,578,779 times
Sounds like you invaded someone's safe space. Your micro-aggressions are showing buddy.

Old 12-29-2015, 09:10 AM

1,803 posts, read 2,225,600 times
Quote:

You have been reported.
I'm telling my mom on you!

Old 12-29-2015, 12:52 PM

12 posts, read 12,566 times
It's Cleveland....were you expecting something different?

Some people say "hey I moved from ____ to Cleveland and this place is great!"
Many many more people say "hey I moved from Cleveland to ____ and this place is great!"

Why is it so hard for Clevelanders to just accept the fact that a majority of US citizens don't prefer it over a different location? I came to the realization a long time ago.

"Well if you don't like it just move."

Not everyone can just pack up and move. If a place sucks, it sucks regardless if you live there or not.

If you like living in Cleveland, that's great! Good for you! But don't come off all shocked when someone like the OP tells you that the place sucks because it's not the first time you've heard it and I promise you it won't be the last.

Old 12-29-2015, 01:54 PM

3,413 posts, read 5,122,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 440Cleveland View Post
It's Cleveland....were you expecting something different?

Some people say "hey I moved from ____ to Cleveland and this place is great!"
Many many more people say "hey I moved from Cleveland to ____ and this place is great!"

Why is it so hard for Clevelanders to just accept the fact that a majority of US citizens don't prefer it over a different location? I came to the realization a long time ago.

"Well if you don't like it just move."

Not everyone can just pack up and move. If a place sucks, it sucks regardless if you live there or not.

If you like living in Cleveland, that's great! Good for you! But don't come off all shocked when someone like the OP tells you that the place sucks because it's not the first time you've heard it and I promise you it won't be the last.
The problem is when someone makes a supeficial judgment based on being here for literally a day, and lacking the knowledge or experience of all the city has to offer. If you've made an effort to experience the city and still think it sucks, than you're entitled to that opinion. However if you make an unfair, rushed, and superficial judgement then you sound like a whiner who doesn't even try to go in with an open mind.

Old 12-29-2015, 03:02 PM

9 posts, read 11,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleverfield View Post
The problem is when someone makes a supeficial judgment based on being here for literally a day, and lacking the knowledge or experience of all the city has to offer. If you've made an effort to experience the city and still think it sucks, than you're entitled to that opinion. However if you make an unfair, rushed, and superficial judgement then you sound like a whiner who doesn't even try to go in with an open mind.
What made you feel like I was making superficial judgement and why are you making judgement on a stranger you don't know? What made you think I was a whiner? How many places had I visited in Cleveland on my 1st day, do you really know?

Some Clevelanders were nice but a few in this forum were so negative and narrow minded? Ask yourself, are you an open mind person when you were unable to accept a positive criticism about your city?

I will never post in this forum again. Yes, when the time comes, I will move. This explains why there were more outbound movers than inbound movers. I suggest you post less and listen more with an open mind. Shame on you.

Old 12-29-2015, 05:41 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
To the O.P.,

I get the feeling you are just a little homesick for your old city. It happens to many people when they move away. First comes excitement with anxiety but then followed by depression with anxiety and sometimes outright hostility. It will wear off once you get more used to your surroundings. I have been to Cleveland but once but didn't find it depressing except of course for the Fairfax, Hough, and Dutch Alley neighborhoods I drove through but even then they were no more depressing than the worst parts of Boston. I have been to far more depressing places on the East Coast believe me.

Having said that, putting a one liner statement saying that Cleveland is a depressing city period without a clear, analytical explanation is not a nice thing to do and had you done the same thing in the Boston forum, the Chicago forum, the Pittsburgh forum, or any other forum you would most likely have been shouted down as well. It's almost like telling a girl she's ugly after only seeing her for the first time but not giving any reasons. Recall that you had earlier posted a thread telling everyone you were moving to Cleveland for a new job and just settled at the Flats East. That was what the poster Kamms was most likely referencing; that was not a personal attack on you IMO. I sincerely hope you take some time to calm down and adjust to your new environment before you accuse anyone of anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland