Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 05:17 AM

19 posts, read 19,933 times

Advertisements

I also want to know about the traffic in cleveland. If I live like 20 miles from Celveland clinics, how long will it take to get to the clinics in the monring? 1 hour?

I heard east cleveland is not safe? is that true?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2016, 07:32 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khinchin View Post
I also want to know about the traffic in cleveland. If I live like 20 miles from Celveland clinics, how long will it take to get to the clinics in the monring? 1 hour?

I heard east cleveland is not safe? is that true?

Thanks
Traffic is typically not bad at all in Cleveland- probably more like 40 minutes. However, you don't have to be so far away to find a good community. Places that far out might not be bad for commuting given the lower levels of traffic compared to other cities, but do you want to be driving 5-10 miles all the time to go anywhere?

Beachwood sounds much better to me, personally.

Old 04-27-2016, 08:21 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,431,928 times
Quote:
Hi again,

I've been super busy these months with work and had to stop looking for apartments. Part of the reason was they couldn't tell me about the availability for next 4-5 months.

We decided to increase the rent up to $1500-1600 (including parking garage fees if we have to pay for parking). We also decided to commute up to 10 miles.

Would you mind please let me know about the areas that I can look into?

Thank you
Post 2 is still accurate.

Have you considered using mass transit? With your higher price range as well as greater mileage range, you might find something downtown or even in the Market District of Ohio City. Shaker Square is in Cleveland and is the most densely populated part of the city. It has excellent rail transit connections to downtown and bus connections with University Circle and the Clinic. Living there would eliminate municipal income tax issues caused by living in a suburb, such as Cleveland Hts., with different tax laws/rates than Cleveland. Check, but I suspect that Beachwood, unlike Cleveland Hts., has a 100 percent residential income tax credit, so you likely wouldn't pay an additional income tax if you lived there.

Use Google transit to check out mass transit options at the RTA home page. The Healthline bus rapid provides excellent transit service from downtown to the Clinic. There now are many apartments downtown as well as in the neighborhood of Cleveland State to the east of downtown and closer to the Clinic.

Traffic typically is not bad for Cleveland commutes. However, to commute from Beachwood or other suburbs southeast of University Circle, you'll have to use local roads, which, in my experience, can be slow during rush hours (often due to stoplights depending upon the route; the roads actually are boulevards). Depending upon where you lived, I would estimate a drive from Cleveland Hts. to the Clinic at 15 minutes or less during rush hour. Shaker Hts./Shaker Square would be 15 to 25 minutes. Beachwood would be 20-30 minutes.

Parking typically isn't a big issue in Greater Cleveland, certainly not a reason to look for a gated community.

If you definitely want to drive to work, Bratenahl (4 miles; 15-20 minute commute during rush hours) also might be a possibility, perhaps even Lakewood. There definitely would be many apartments in your price range in Lakewood (12 miles; 25-35 minute rush hour commute).

http://www.zillow.com/bratenahl-oh/apartments/

There could be some real rental bargains (look in the Lakeshore Blvd. area) in Euclid (10 miles; 20 to 30 minutes), if you don't care about schools. It's actually a good starter location for Greater Cleveland and the large apartment complexes there have indoor parking. There also are many duplexes and condos available for rent. The North Collinwood neighborhood of Cleveland between Bratenahl and Euclid would offer cheaper options.

Other possibilities would include the Mayfield area, inclusive of Highland Hts.

If you want to live in a suburb, and your commuting time by drive is half an hour, perhaps check out Willoughby with good freeway access on both I-90 and Route 2 (take MLK Blvd. to east 105th St. to the Clinic, which could be slow during rush hours; check).

What amenities are you looking for, such as parks, recreation facilities, etc.?

Few of these apartment complexes are in Bratenahl, but they all are convenient for the Clinic.

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...hio/Bratenahl/

I don't know anything about this complex, but it's very near the Clinic.

http://www.apartmentguide.com/apartm...val/100028622/

Check commutes for your prospective residence during your personal drive time. Use a GPS to make certain you have the best route.

Good luck. Please let us know where you end up and why for the benefit of future posters!

Last edited by WRnative; 04-27-2016 at 09:04 AM..

Old 04-27-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Traffic is typically not bad at all in Cleveland- probably more like 40 minutes. However, you don't have to be so far away to find a good community. Places that far out might not be bad for commuting given the lower levels of traffic compared to other cities, but do you want to be driving 5-10 miles all the time to go anywhere?

Beachwood sounds much better to me, personally.
Thank you

Old 04-27-2016, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Post 2 is still accurate.

Have you considered using mass transit? With your higher price range as well as greater mileage range, you might find something downtown or even in the Market District of Ohio City. Shaker Square is in Cleveland and is the most densely populated part of the city. It has excellent rail transit connections to downtown and bus connections with University Circle and the Clinic. Living there would eliminate municipal income tax issues caused by living in a suburb, such as Cleveland Hts., with different tax laws/rates than Cleveland. Check, but I suspect that Beachwood, unlike Cleveland Hts., has a 100 percent residential income tax credit, so you likely wouldn't pay an additional income tax if you lived there.

Use Google transit to check out mass transit options at the RTA home page. The Healthline bus rapid provides excellent transit service from downtown to the Clinic. There now are many apartments downtown as well as in the neighborhood of Cleveland State to the east of downtown and closer to the Clinic.

Traffic typically is not bad for Cleveland commutes. However, to commute from Beachwood or other suburbs southeast of University Circle, you'll have to use local roads, which, in my experience, can be slow during rush hours (often due to stoplights depending upon the route; the roads actually are boulevards). Depending upon where you lived, I would estimate a drive from Cleveland Hts. to the Clinic at 15 minutes or less during rush hour. Shaker Hts./Shaker Square would be 15 to 25 minutes. Beachwood would be 20-30 minutes.

Parking typically isn't a big issue in Greater Cleveland, certainly not a reason to look for a gated community.

If you definitely want to drive to work, Bratenahl (4 miles; 15-20 minute commute during rush hours) also might be a possibility, perhaps even Lakewood. There definitely would be many apartments in your price range in Lakewood (12 miles; 25-35 minute rush hour commute).

Apartments For Rent in Bratenahl OH | Zillow

There could be some real rental bargains (look in the Lakeshore Blvd. area) in Euclid (10 miles; 20 to 30 minutes), if you don't care about schools. It's actually a good starter location for Greater Cleveland and the large apartment complexes there have indoor parking. There also are many duplexes and condos available for rent. The North Collinwood neighborhood of Cleveland between Bratenahl and Euclid would offer cheaper options.

Other possibilities would include the Mayfield area, inclusive of Highland Hts.

If you want to live in a suburb, and your commuting time by drive is half an hour, perhaps check out Willoughby with good freeway access on both I-90 and Route 2 (take MLK Blvd. to east 105th St. to the Clinic, which could be slow during rush hours; check).

What amenities are you looking for, such as parks, recreation facilities, etc.?

Few of these apartment complexes are in Bratenahl, but they all are convenient for the Clinic.

Apartments for Rent in Bratenahl, OH - 122 Rentals

I don't know anything about this complex, but it's very near the Clinic.

118 Flats- Oval Apartments - Cleveland, OH 44106 | Apartments for Rent

Check commutes for your prospective residence during your personal drive time. Use a GPS to make certain you have the best route.

Good luck. Please let us know where you end up and why for the benefit of future posters!

Thank you for very elaborated answers.

My main concern is bed bugs and roaches. My wife has insectophobia. The other concern is safety and maintenance.

I want an apartment with an office, lobby, pool and fitness center. I won't use them but I had a bad experience in chicago that I rented an apartment with no office. The apartment is just a building and I have to mail the rent every month. It was a hassle to mail the rent but the bigger problem was the maintenance. They don't have regular maintenance team. We had several problems like roaches, plumbing, heat, and one time, we were left without enough heat for 2 days in Chicago winter. Even worse, I heard gun shots very frequently (may be almost every night). That apartment was near hospital. I don't know if it's correct or not but I heard from my colleagues that don't stay near the hospital since usually, the area around hospital is a bad area??? Rent wasn't cheap too. We had to pay 1k for that room.

So, learned from the bad experiences. My priorities became apartment has to be bug free, safe and has a regular maintenance team.

I'm looking into Huron square and the osborn apartments. Is it a good one?

Thanks a lot for helping me out

P.S. I don't want any special amenities such as schools, or recreation facilities.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:34 AM

I'm also thinking about Reserve square. I contacted stonebridge waterfront but they don't have any availability.

Old 04-27-2016, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Thank you for very elaborated answers.

My main concern is bed bugs and roaches. My wife has insectophobia. The other concern is safety and maintenance.

I want an apartment with an office, lobby, pool and fitness center. I won't use them but I had a bad experience in chicago that I rented an apartment with no office. The apartment is just a building and I have to mail the rent every month. It was a hassle to mail the rent but the bigger problem was the maintenance. They don't have regular maintenance team. We had several problems like roaches, plumbing, heat, and one time, we were left without enough heat for 2 days in Chicago winter. Even worse, I heard gun shots very frequently (may be almost every night). That apartment was near hospital. I don't know if it's correct or not but I heard from my colleagues that don't stay near the hospital since usually, the area around hospital is a bad area??? Rent wasn't cheap too. We had to pay 1k for that room.

So, learned from the bad experiences. My priorities became apartment has to be bug free, safe and has a regular maintenance team.

I'm looking into Huron square and the osborn apartments. Is it a good one?

Thanks a lot for helping me out

P.S. I don't want any special amenities such as schools, or recreation facilities.
Personally, the condo for $1,300 in Bratenahl listed at Zillow looked like a good deal to me given your priorites. My guess is that beg bugs and roaches are much higher risks in large apartment complexes, which are most likely to have a fitness center and a pool (especially an indoor pool), than a garden-type, higher-end condo complex. In large, high-rise complexes, there are many more units potentially able to contribute to infestations in your unit.

Apart from a high-rise condo, you don't need a maintenance team for a condo complex (check whether you or the owner will pay for needed plumbing, exterminating, etc., services; will the owner allow you to pick a service provider, perhaps from Angie's List, and allow to deduct it from your monthly rent?).

Have you checked out the fitness/pool options offered to employees at the Cleveland Clinic?

If you were to live downtown or in the Market District, Cleveland State offers superb recreational facilities to the public.

The Downtown Recreation Center at Cleveland State University

https://swimswam.com/shouts-stands-s...tes-fast-pool/

The area in Cleveland to the immediate south (as opposed to Cleveland Hts. to the southeast) of the Cleveland Clinic is problematic. The area north of the Clinic is rapidly gentrifying. The University Circle area to the east of the Clinic, including Uptown, certainly is dynamic and generally considered relatively safe.

Downtown, check out the Warehouse District, East 4th St. and Playhouse Square area. The latter is most convenient to using the Healthline to commute to the Clinic. Reserve Square isn't bad; it's a two-block walk to Euclid Ave. Playhouse Square is adjacent to Cleveland State.

http://www.downtowncleveland.com/liv...roperties.aspx

http://www.apartmentguide.com/neighb...yhouse-Square/

http://www.residencesathanna.com/

Last edited by WRnative; 04-27-2016 at 10:59 AM..

Old 04-27-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Personally, the condo for $1,300 in Bratenahl listed at Zillow looked like a good deal to me given your priorites. My guess is that beg bugs and roaches are much higher risks in large apartment complexes, which are most likely to have a fitness center and a pool (especially an indoor pool), than a garden-type, higher-end condo complex. Apart from a high-rise condo, you don't need a maintenance team for condo complex (check whether you or the owner will pay for needed plumbing, exterminating, etc., services; will the owner allow you to pick a service provider, perhaps from Angie's List, and allow to deduct it from your monthly rent?).

Have you checked out the fitness/pool options offered to employees at the Cleveland Clinic?

If you were to live downtown or in the Market District, Cleveland State offers superb recreational facilities to the public.

The Downtown Recreation Center at Cleveland State University

The area in Cleveland to the immediate south (as opposed to Cleveland Hts. to the southeast) of the Cleveland Clinic is problematic. The area north of the Clinic is rapidly gentrifying. The University Circle area to the east of the Clinic, including Uptown, certainly is dynamic and generally considered relatively safe.

Downtown, check out the Warehouse District, East 4th St. and Playhouse Square area. The latter is most convenient to using the Healthline to commute to the Clinic. Reserve Square isn't bad; it's a two-block walk to Euclid Ave. Playhouse Square is adjacent to Cleveland State.

- Downtown Cleveland Alliance

Available Now! 25 Apartments for Rent in Playhouse Square, OH

The Residences At Hanna | Apartments in Cleveland, OH

Do you mean Buckeye-shaker, woodland hills, and around these areas?

How about Huron square and the osborn apartments?

Old 04-27-2016, 10:15 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,445,509 times
Quote:

Given that your main concern is safety, do not live anywhere in the immediate area of the Cleveland Clinic, with the exception of Little Italy or right on Euclid in University Circle.

Not saying the entire area around it is worthless, but for someone with safety as the number 1 priority, I can't in good faith recommend living between Chester and Hough. Still a decent number of vacant lots and abandoned homes in the area.

Don't look anywhere in Fairfax or Woodland Hills. Buckeye-Shaker is 90% a no-go, unless you live at Shaker Square-north of Shaker Square near Larchmere. That area is fine.

But I thought you were more suburb seeking? There is a huge difference between living near the Clinic and 20 miles away.

Old 04-27-2016, 10:20 AM

Quote:
The Shaker Square area of Buckeye-Shaker area is OK and might be of interest.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buckeye-Shaker

Shaker Square in Cleveland, Ohio - welcome

You likely want to avoid Woodland Hills, but I haven't check out the area in many years.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woodland_Hills,_Cleveland

Quote:
Personally, I'm no longer sufficiently knowledgeable about individual complexes to make recommendations. I just know the locations. If I were working at the Cleveland Clinic, staying near Euclid Ave. and Healthline stops would be a priority, as would locations near the free downtown bus trolleys, especially the C-line which operates in the evenings and on weekends.

http://www.riderta.com/sites/default...HealthLine.pdf

http://www.riderta.com/sites/default...s/Trolleys.pdf

Huron Square and Osborn seems like a good location, but Huron is less busy than Euclid Ave. They are closer to the action downtown than Reserve Square (we're talking about a difference of perhaps 5- to 10-minutes walking, depending upon location; Reserve Square actually is closer to lakefront attractions). They would be an easy walk to the Heinen's downtown, Progressive Field, the Fifth St. Arcades, etc.

http://www.heinens.com/downtown/

http://www.cleveland.com/metro/index...n_superma.html

http://www.5thstreetarcades.com/

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g...usesquare.html

http://www.thisiscleveland.com/inclu...map-201509.pdf

Living downtown certainly offers much more excitement and amenities than most areas of Greater Cleveland.

The downtown rail transit hub is in Tower City, easily reached from the Playhouse Square area on either the Healthline or bus trolleys (as well as Uber, Lyft, and taxis), and a 10- to 15-minute walk from Playhouse Square.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_City_Center

http://www.clevelandgatewaydistrict.com/district-map/

http://www.clevelandgatewaydistrict.com/

If you are a AAA member, get a copy of the Northeast Ohio map, which has a great map of downtown, University Circle and Ohio City on its back.

Last edited by WRnative; 04-27-2016 at 11:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Cleveland